News:

So essentially, the enemy of my enemy is not my friend, he's just another moronic, entitled turd in the bucket.

Main Menu

No wonder young girls don't get into science.

Started by Kai, November 27, 2011, 06:23:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phox

Quote from: 'Kai' ZLB, M.S. on November 27, 2011, 06:50:45 PM
And girls DEFINITELY can't get real chemistry sets, because then they'd start questioning men, and arguing, and not staying in their god given, subservient place, and turning into lesbians, and practicing witchcraft, and getting abortions, and having orgies....
I had a chemistry set. I can safely say that I've never had an abortion.  :lulz:

Kai

Quote from: Doktor Zero on November 27, 2011, 09:44:32 PM
And girls DEFINITELY can't get real chemistry sets, because then they'd start questioning men, and arguing, and not staying in their god given, subservient place, and turning into lesbians, and practicing witchcraft, and getting abortions, and having orgies....
I had a chemistry set. I can safely say that I've never had an abortion.  :lulz:

Except I know for a fact you've done all the rest.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I think you're onto something. I had a chemistry set as a child, too.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Kai

Quote from: Nigel on November 27, 2011, 11:52:36 PM

I like it that Pat Robertson turned out to be right.  :lulz:
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: 'Kai' ZLB, M.S. on November 28, 2011, 04:07:36 AM
Quote from: Nigel on November 27, 2011, 11:52:36 PM

I like it that Pat Robertson turned out to be right.  :lulz:

Even a broken clock...

:lulz:
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Freeky

I never had a chemistry set, but I DID have a perfume set.  So :?

EK WAFFLR

Ahh, I still remember the smells from my old chemistry set.

Also, the chemical-less chemistry set makes me want to make a Chartered Accountant play set. WITHOUT MATHS
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Phox

Quote from: 'Kai' ZLB, M.S. on November 27, 2011, 11:49:12 PM
Quote from: Doktor Zero on November 27, 2011, 09:44:32 PM

Except I know for a fact you've done all the rest.
Quiet you.  :lulz:

Juana

Buy the boys' one. It's what my mother did when I wanted stuff like that. That, and I scoffed at the shitty girls' one, down right refusing to play with them when other relatives purchased them for me.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on November 28, 2011, 09:14:28 AM
Buy the boys' one. It's what my mother did when I wanted stuff like that. That, and I scoffed at the shitty girls' one, down right refusing to play with them when other relatives purchased them for me.

The one with no chemicals?
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Juana

I believe I had one chem kit that used some household chemicals, but I tended to like building things and physics better.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: 'Kai' ZLB, M.S. on November 27, 2011, 06:48:16 PM
Honestly, the "boy's" chemistry sets are awful too. For example, "Chemistry set boasts 'no chemicals'".

A chemistry set with no chemicals is NOT a chemistry set. Heaven forbid children experiment, make messes, break things or worst of all, do something mildly dangerous. Chemists are born from explosive reactions, not turning starch blue. Get someone hooked on science by BLOWING THINGS UP. Yes, it's dangerous. Science is often dangerous.

As ND Tyson said, "Get out of their way. Children are born as scientists. What does a scientist do? They say, how does this work? Let me take it apart, let me break it." But no, we can't have kids taking things apart or breaking things. That would give them IDEAS, and would be MESSY. They'd think it's alright to keep taking things apart and thinking and next thing you know they've disproved the existence of god and become a communist.

THIS.

Science, like freedom, was never intended to be safe.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cramulus

WTF is this shit? Is that the best marketing idea they could come up with? To get girls into science by telling them they can use it to make cosmetic products? That's fucking garbage.

WHEN I GROW UP
I'M GONNA INVENT EDIBLE BODY GLITTER
                                     \

REACH FOR THE STARS, GIRLS ... JUST KEEP STUDYING AND ONE DAY YOU'LL BE A SCIENTIST, JUST LIKE CALVIN KLEIN.

The Good Reverend Roger

CHEMISTRY:  IT'S JUST LIKE COOKING DINNER FOR YOUR HUSBAND.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Jenne

I think the "boys' sets" are more gender-neutral.  If you have a girl that's into physics and chemistry, buying the magnet sets, the erector sets and the chem sets is not going to awry.

I think it's rather the opposite--the makeup and perfume are very girl-specific.  As a mom to only boys (as of today's date, anyway), I have to say boys' "toys" can be way more gender-neutralized than girls'.  Mostly because of colors schemes, etc. 

Not that this still isn't an issue, mind you.  I think it's rather sad that the manufacturers can't market things in a way that add up to BETTER LEARNING rather than gender-role reinforcements.  *shrug*  But that's when a parent's discernment is inserted, and you just say FUCK IT ALL  my kid wants to learn, so here's a crack-your-own geode set, or here's a rock tumbler, or here's a solar system for your ceiling (my 12 mo old niece just got one for her birthday this weekend...).