News:

Testimonial: "This board is everything that's fucking wrong with the internet"

Main Menu

Barney Frank to retire.

Started by LMNO, November 28, 2011, 06:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

http://slatest.slate.com/posts/2011/11/28/barney_frank_retiring_16_term_massachusetts_congressman_won_t_run_for_re_election_.html

He wasn't perfect, but he was one of the more powerful openly gay politicians, and I think congress won't be better off with him gone.

Nephew Twiddleton

I think, having been in politics for 30 years and being 70, it's a good time for him.

Besides, it's not like Congress is particularly effective right now.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nph. Twid. on November 28, 2011, 06:27:36 PM
I think, having been in politics for 30 years and being 70, it's a good time for him.

If I was in congress right now, I'd tell my parents I was a one-legged prostitute, just to spare them the shame.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 28, 2011, 07:16:53 PM

If I was in congress right now, I'd tell my parents I was a one-legged prostitute, just to spare them the shame.

THIS.

I still kinda hate to see Barney Frank go, though.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Anna Mae Bollocks on November 29, 2011, 04:50:41 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 28, 2011, 07:16:53 PM

THIS.

I still kinda hate to see Barney Frank go, though.

The Dems need more curmudgeons like him.

Jenne

The Dems are gonna miss that guy. 

The Good Reverend Roger

Fuck him.  He wussed out on the banking reforms, and made the problem worse.

Spineless fucking toad.  He's EXACTLY what's wrong with the democratic party, and exactly why I won't vote for the silly bastards.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Jenne

True, he sold out.  Over and over.  But warts and all, he was still more of a voice for Democrats than most even try to have.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Jenne on November 29, 2011, 04:52:01 PM
True, he sold out.  Over and over.  But warts and all, he was still more of a voice for Democrats than most even try to have.

That's because most democrats these days ARE sell outs.

Spineless fucking nancy boys, front to fucking back.  Right now, I have to choose between "Decisively stupid and evil", and "waffling stupid and evil", and I can't decide which is worse.

I thought Barney Frank was ten fucking feet tall, until he waffled on the banking thing.  It was like catching Buzz Aldrin sodomizing a duck.

Nephew Twiddleton

The Good Reverend Roger

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 29, 2011, 04:54:50 PM
Quote from: Jenne on November 29, 2011, 04:52:01 PM

That's because most democrats these days ARE sell outs.

Spineless fucking nancy boys, front to fucking back.  Right now, I have to choose between "Decisively stupid and evil", and "waffling stupid and evil", and I can't decide which is worse.

I thought Barney Frank was ten fucking feet tall, until he waffled on the banking thing.  It was like catching Buzz Aldrin sodomizing a duck.

Yeah, I've come to expect horrors like that.
It was still cool having a guy in there who said things like "The antidote to predjudice is knowledge" instead of THIS IS A HETERO CHRISTIAN NATION YOU PROBABLY HAD AN ABORTION! AT THE SALLY I BET! YOUR ASS IS GOING TO GITMO RAH RAHMURKA!!!!!
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Jenne

This is why our generation is so very jaded, to hearken back to another fread.

Every hero we had who was human or is human has clay feet.

And then we blame ourselves for even expecting greatness anymore.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Jenne on November 29, 2011, 08:50:23 PM
This is why our generation is so very jaded, to hearken back to another fread.

Every hero we had who was human or is human has clay feet.

And then we blame ourselves for even expecting greatness anymore.

I expect clay feet. 

But that's still not a justification for wimping out so outrageously after a long career of telling assholes what the score was.