The Cracked Podcast or How i Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the NSA

Started by Chelagoras The Boulder, December 02, 2013, 08:13:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chelagoras The Boulder

I doubt it, judging from the podcast i would say that their thesis is less about how awesome it is that the NSA is collecting metadata, and more the generational disconnect between how the Cold War Generations and millenials see the issue of data collection. though they did also make this video, so...
http://www.cracked.com/video_18639_4-reasons-to-stop-freaking-out-about-nsa.html
...theres that?
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Chelagoras The Boulder

Also, not to be a dick about this, how many of you listened to the podcast?
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on December 03, 2013, 10:02:03 PM
Also, not to be a dick about this, how many of you listened to the podcast?

Not I.

1.  I'm at work, can't load that.

2.  Why do I want to listen to some little Quisling defend this sort of shit?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Chelagoras The Boulder

The Good Reverend Roger

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Chelagoras The Boulder

ah, k. In any case, I suppose we could test the hypothesis of whether or not Cracked is getting paid to write pro-NSA pieces and/or is just engaging in chickenshit justification by seeing how many subversive pieces we can submit to their "Write for Us" threads. :evil:

Q. G. Pennyworth

I think Cracked is populated by a lot of people who are less than two hops from a suspected terrorist organization and are covering their asses hard.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on December 03, 2013, 11:42:27 PM
I think Cracked is populated by a lot of people who are less than two hops from a suspected terrorist organization and are covering their asses hard.

Naw, enough people start reading them, they get an offer, you know?

Chelagoras The Boulder

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on December 02, 2013, 08:47:19 PM
And "the future" can mean lots of different shit.  For me, "the future" isn't gizmos so much as it is a time when the playing field is more or less level.  It isn't, but it's a hell of a lot more level than it was in the past.
For my part, "the future" doesn't just mean gizmos (though a Star Trek replicator would fix a lot of problems with us using Foxconn workers to make all our advanced tech possible) but also more enlightened things like world peace, harmony etc. I like to think that society will generally get better as things go on, even if it means living through shitty transitional periods like this one as the US deals with it's own insecurities as a superpower. Part of this for me is the shift away from national barriers and seeing anyone from another country as an Other, and us being able to see our species as a worldwide tribe. I figure that the way this happens is the building of empathy with othe peoples experiences throughout the world as this trend continues and we become even more connected. Our kids will be a lot more invested in the goings on of other countries when the kids they play Halo with from Israel mention what their lives are like, what they experience on a regular basis.
Again, not so much trying to justify the NSA's actions. its a flawed and easily corruptible system that will hopefully be torn down now that other world powers know how deeply pervasive its scope is, but as i said before, I'm more curious about this trend of increasing sharing, and wondering if maybe there's some aspects of it that will turn out for the better.

Chelagoras The Boulder

also, i just noticed one of the penny arcade guys said something in the same vein of this whole post-privacy thing.
http://www.penny-arcade.com/2013/12/05

The Good Reverend Roger

At some point, I am supposed to care how many hipsters talk about the glories of an intrusive society?

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on December 09, 2013, 06:49:54 PM
At some point, I am supposed to care how many hipsters talk about the glories of an intrusive society?
At the point where they get to vote.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Pæs