News:

Testamonial:  And i have actually gone to a bar and had a bouncer try to start a fight with me on the way in. I broke his teeth out of his fucking mouth and put his face through a passenger side window of a car.

Guess thats what the Internet was build for, pussy motherfuckers taking shit in safety...

Main Menu

Ah shit

Started by Cain, December 22, 2011, 03:52:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on January 03, 2012, 06:51:31 PM
I'd like to reply to your post, but I cannot because of NATIONAL SECURITY anxieties.

:lulz:

Won't help, Cain.  They'll drag us all away, sooner or later, for reasons that will never be made clear, due to...
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

Speaking of which, I've noted some Democratic partisans defending Obama signing the NDAA into law because "he promised he would never use it to detain an American."

To which I have two responses, depending on my mood:

1) Just like he shut down Camp X-Ray as promised!, or
2) and its a good thing a man of Obama's noble instincts will be President for Life, and never shall the office be inhabited by the likes of a Nixon, or Bush Jr.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on January 03, 2012, 07:03:34 PM
Speaking of which, I've noted some Democratic partisans defending Obama signing the NDAA into law because "he promised he would never use it to detain an American."

To which I have two responses, depending on my mood:

1) Just like he shut down Camp X-Ray as promised!, or
2) and its a good thing a man of Obama's noble instincts will be President for Life, and never shall the office be inhabited by the likes of a Nixon, or Bush Jr.

They promised that PATRIOT would only be used on terrorists.  Something like 99% of its use so far has been to arrest music pirates.

Promises are worth precisely jack & shit.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Cain

But Obama really means it!  He's a constitutional scholar, don't you know?

Given liberal whining about politics being reduced to personality, I am endlessly amused by how they rely on the same argument to defend Obama.  Not to absolve Obama his horrific personal choices, but it's also a systemic thing, and unless someone came in looking to dismantle the entire thing, would personality actually make much of a difference.  Assuming they lived long enough to implement any policies, not something I would be willing to bet on.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on January 03, 2012, 07:30:27 PM
But Obama really means it!  He's a constitutional scholar, don't you know?

Given liberal whining about politics being reduced to personality, I am endlessly amused by how they rely on the same argument to defend Obama.  Not to absolve Obama his horrific personal choices, but it's also a systemic thing, and unless someone came in looking to dismantle the entire thing, would personality actually make much of a difference.  Assuming they lived long enough to implement any policies, not something I would be willing to bet on.

1.  Something about knowing your enemy, something something.

2.  The funniest thing about 2009 was watching the RWNs turn into champions of individual liberty and opponents of the wars, and at the same time watching the Dems become national security freaks and war hawks.

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Cain

There is some good news...and some bad news.

Good news: despite the rash of covert action directed at Iran, the Obama administration seems to be making it clear that overt military action will have lots of negative consequences:

QuoteIn a sign that the Obama administration is worried that Netanyahu is contemplating an attack on Iran's nuclear facilities, Defense Secretary Leon Panetta tried and failed in early October to get a commitment from Netanyahu and Barak that Israel would not launch an attack on Iran without consulting Washington first, according to both Israeli and US sources cited by The Telegraph and by veteran intelligence reporter Richard Sale.

At a meeting with Obama a few weeks later, the new chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Martin Dempsey, and the new head of CENTCOM, General James N Mattis, expressed their disappointment that he had not been firm enough in opposing an Israeli attack, according to Sale.

Obama responded that he "had no say over Israel" because "it is a sovereign country".

Obama's remark seemed to indicate a desire to distance his administration from an Israeli attack on Iran. But it also made it clear that he was not going to tell Netanyahu that he would not countenance such an attack.

QuoteIn a December 2 talk at the Brookings Institution, while discussing the dangers of the regional conflict that would result from such an attack, Panetta said the US "would obviously be blamed and we could possibly be the target of retaliation from Iran, sinking our ships, striking our military bases".

Panetta's statement could be interpreted as an effort to convince Iran that the Obama administration is opposed to an Israeli strike and should not be targeted by Iran in retaliation if Israel does launch an attack.

Parsi believes Obama's calculation that he can convince Iran that the US has no leverage on Israel without being much tougher with Israel is not realistic.

"Iran most likely would decide not to target US forces in the region in retaliation for an Israeli strike only if the damage from the strike were relatively limited," Parsi told Inter Press Service (IPS) in an e-mail.

The Obama administration considers the newest phase of sanctions against Iran, aimed at reducing global imports of Iranian crude oil, as an alternative to an unprovoked attack by Israel.

And the bad:

QuoteNetanyahu is exploiting the extraordinary influence his right-wing Likud Party exercises over the Republican Party and the US Congress on matters related to Israel in order to maximize the likelihood that the US would participate in an attack on Iran.

QuoteFormer Mossad (Israeli intelligence) chief Meir Dagan, who left his job in September 2010, revealed in his first public appearance after Mossad on June 2 that he, Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) chief Gabi Ashkenazi and Shin Bet chief Yuval Diskin had been able to "block any dangerous adventure" by Netanyahu and Defense Minister Ehud Barak.

The Hebrew language daily Maariv reported that those three, along with President Shimon Peres and IDF senior commander Gadi Eisenkrot, had vetoed a 2010 proposal by Netanyahu to attack Iran.

Dagan said he was going public because he was "afraid there is no one to stop Bibi and Barak". Dagan also said an Israeli attack on Iran could trigger a war that would "endanger the [Israeli] state's existence", indicating that his revelation was not part of a psy-war campaign.

QuoteUnited States officials told Reuters on November 8 that sanctions on Iran's central bank were "not on the table". The Obama administration was warning that such sanctions would risk a steep rise in oil prices worldwide and a worsening global recession, while actually increasing Iranian oil revenues.

But Netanyahu used the power of the American Israel Public Affairs Committee over congressional action related to Israel to override Obama's opposition. The senate unanimously passed an amendment representing Netanyahu's position on sanctions focused on Iran's oil sector and the central bank, despite a letter from Secretary of Treasury Tim Geithner opposing it. A similar amendment was passed by the House on December 15.

In an interview with CNN in November, Barak warned the international community that Israel might have to make a decision on war within as little as six months, because Iran's efforts to "disperse and fortify" its nuclear facilities would soon render a strike against facilities ineffective.

Barak said he "couldn't predict" whether that point would be reached in "two quarters or three quarters or a year". The new Israeli "red line" would place the timing of an Israeli decision on whether to strike Iran right in the middle of the US presidential election campaign.

Netanyahu, who makes no secret of his dislike and distrust of Obama, may hope to put Obama under maximum pressure to support Israel militarily in a war with Iran by striking during a campaign in which the Republican candidate would be accusing him of being soft on the Iranian nuclear threat.

If the Republican candidate is in a strong position to win the election, on the other hand, Netanyahu would want to wait for a new administration aligned with his belligerent posture toward Iran.

Meanwhile, the end of US Air Force control over Iraqi airspace with the final US military withdrawal from Iraq has eliminated what had long been regarded as a significant deterrent to an Israeli attack on Iran using the shortest route.

Can you imagine what a war during the Presidential race would do?  If Obama refuses to back Israel, he could well lose the election.  And he might just lose it if he goes ahead and backs it anyway, as progressive support withers and dies in the face of yet another war in the greater Middle East.

An attack would also crash the economy, most likely, which always inflicts greater damage on the incumbent than the challenger.  Spiking oil prices would drive Europe into a full on Depression, and probably take the rest of the globe with it.

Phox

Wow, the bad news is really bad. I'll have to keep an eye on this.

Cain

While I normally dislike describing foreign leaders as insane, I'm willing to make an exception in the case of Netanyahu.

One of my favourite quotes ever is his wife going on about how he's a hero and the Israeli people were ingrates for voting him out, and if he left the country villainous Iranians and Palestinians would overrun the country within a week, and deservedly so.  Yes, they are his wife's comments, but remember, he married her.