8 sonic-pictoral 'nouns' discovered in Dolphin Language

Started by Telarus, December 05, 2011, 09:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telarus

http://wakeup-world.com/2011/11/28/the-discovery-of-dolphin-language/

Haven't finished reading this quite yet... but I am fucking IMPRESSED with the experimental setup.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Freeky

Woah!  This does sound pretty awesome.

A bit presumptuous to be saying they understand the concept of human language (LOL THAT SOUNDED RETARDED), but still pretty nifty.

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Triple Zero

I got kinda skeptical when they said "the pulse of reflected sound contains a semi-holographic representation of the object"

Because wtf does "semi holographic" mean??

It's not holographic because it bounces off the surface of the object. So is it just an acoustic image, sonar, echo image or what have you, then "semi holographic" is just a meaningless smartypants word, and they are associated with the Global Heart new age spiritual movement. So yeah.

Maybe it's really incredible or something, could be I dunno.

BTW there was a discussion on Hackernews about this too: http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=3314056

And some guy linked to the original research article, might be of interest to you: http://www.speakdolphin.com/ResearchItems.cfm?ID=20

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 05, 2011, 10:10:41 PM
Which one is "tuna net"?

:horrormirth:

Dolphins are assholes, so it stands to reason that they're intelligent enough to have developed language.

I am pretty sure that being a huge fucking dick is a sign of higher intelligence.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Nigel on December 05, 2011, 10:20:12 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 05, 2011, 10:10:41 PM
Which one is "tuna net"?

:horrormirth:

Dolphins are assholes, so it stands to reason that they're intelligent enough to have developed language.

I am pretty sure that being a huge fucking dick is a sign of higher intelligence.

The more complex the mind, the greater the need for more stimulating forms of "entertainment"
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Kai

This article does not show language.

What it does show is that dolphins can use their sonar to differentiate between similar objects of similar size, and that a sonar blip emitted from one individual that bounces off an object can be interpreted by another individual that receives the bounce. Nowhere is there any indication that dolphins can send these messages to sonar between each other, only that the return sound bounced off an object can be interpreted by any dolphin. These images aren't communicated, because, except for the intervention of the researchers, every individual would be receiving the return sonogram at the same time, even the emitter.

For it to be language, dolphins would have to have the ability to emit sounds which replicate the return signal and send them directly to other individuals. There is no evidence of this.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Telarus

Quote from: 'Kai' ZLB, M.S. on December 06, 2011, 07:34:28 PM

What it does show is that dolphins can use their sonar to differentiate between similar objects of similar size, and that a sonar blip emitted from one individual that bounces off an object can be interpreted by another individual that receives the bounce. Nowhere is there any indication that dolphins can send these messages to sonar between each other, only that the return sound bounced off an object can be interpreted by any dolphin. These images aren't communicated, because, except for the intervention of the researchers, every individual would be receiving the return sonogram at the same time, even the emitter.

For it to be language, dolphins would have to have the ability to emit sounds which replicate the return signal and send them directly to other individuals. There is no evidence of this.

That's much clearer that what you left on my FB, thanks. I wonder if they've begun to design a setup to test that yet. I admit, I want to dig into the research material and not go off of "science journalism" (thanks Trip for that link). And I think you're right, Kai.. we have to catch them passing this type of information-packets among themselves in some fashion before we can call it language as such.

Trip, as to the 'semi-holographic' thing, I think the author chose that because even reflected "echos" of the sonogram contained traces of the 'picture', much like slices of holographic film contain the master image.

I think the exciting thing is that they have a very scientifically plausible theory as to how dolphins receive and interpret sonograms into "thought-images" that takes into account specifics of dolphin anatomy.

Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Precious Moments Zalgo

Quote from: 'Kai' ZLB, M.S. on December 06, 2011, 07:34:28 PM

Thanks Kai.  I misread the article and thought that's what they were doing.
I will answer ANY prayer for $39.95.*

*Unfortunately, I cannot give refunds in the event that the answer is no.

Triple Zero

If the dolphins can't transmit those sounds without the object present, then it's pretty much like bats, right? Except that (I suppose) bats navigate only using their own sounds+echos, while dolphins can also "read" the shape of things by listening to other dolphins scanning clicks.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Kai

Quote from: Triple Zero on December 06, 2011, 09:17:29 PM
If the dolphins can't transmit those sounds without the object present, then it's pretty much like bats, right? Except that (I suppose) bats navigate only using their own sounds+echos, while dolphins can also "read" the shape of things by listening to other dolphins scanning clicks.

I wonder if bats can do the same thing. But yeah, sonar, echolocation, they're just different words for the same thing in different mediums. Water versus air. There's some pretty interesting research with bats and their ability to differentiate between different types of prey (and of moths that can detect bat calls and do a nose dive whenever they hear something similar).
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish