"Proof" that homophobia is associated with homosexual arousal.

Started by Kai, December 09, 2011, 05:35:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I have to confess that I felt a sense of relief when my daughter told me she was gay.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Elder Iptuous

LMNO

Ok, honestly. I get the same feeling in my gut thinking about "what if my future child is gay" as "what if my child preferred redheads".

Not that the desire is equivalent. The point is IT DOESN'T FUCKING MATTER.

What the fuck, people. You know how we say, "going against the mainstream is still letting the mainstream influence you"? Same principle.

Gird them for battle, of course. But don't feel sorry for them. They don't need, or require, your pity. THEY DESERVE YOUR STRENGTH.

YOU CLAIM TO WALK ON TWO LEGS. PROVE IT.

Elder Iptuous

it shouldn't matter, but it does from a standpoint of how their life will be in relation to the society around them.  it is most definitely not in the same ballpark as them preferring redheads in that regard.
not preferring it, or even actively desiring that it not be, does not imply pity.
with all due respect, however, i think we're speaking past the point.
the point was simply that one can be disappointed with the circumstance of their child being gay without any antipathy towards homosexuality itself.
so far, i've not heard any rational reason to dispute this.

LMNO

With all due respect, and no hard feelings:

BECAUSE. BEING DISAPPOINTED. OF YOUR GAY CHILD. BEING GAY. IS LETTING THE SYSTEM. TELL YOU TO FEEL DISAPPOINTED.

YOU FUCKING RETARD.

Elder Iptuous

assuming that by "BEING DISAPPOINTED. OF YOUR GAY CHILD. BEING GAY" you mean being disappointed in your child, then that is a misrepresentation of what i have said despite the fact that i clearly rebuked that very notion.

furthermore, your disrespect was uncalled for.

i'm out, on that note.

Phox

Quote from: Iptuous on December 14, 2011, 02:21:51 AM
If the sexuality of the child was somehow determined by the parents, would you choose to have the child be gay?
Yes. I'd also choose to have said child be female to male transgender, obviously mixed race, poor, from a single parent household, and addicted to crack from birth.  :roll:

Faust

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 14, 2011, 04:28:07 AM
With all due respect, and no hard feelings:

BECAUSE. BEING DISAPPOINTED. OF YOUR GAY CHILD. BEING GAY. IS LETTING THE SYSTEM. TELL YOU TO FEEL DISAPPOINTED.

YOU FUCKING RETARD.

Depends.

If you want to have kids, being disappointed is what you describe.

If having kids is nothing more then another trophy or furnashing for persons life instead of a human being then I can see why the person would be disappointed.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Luna

A friend of mine is now in her second trimester, after two miscarriages.

Somehow, I suspect, she won't care at all if the little one turns out to be gay, as long as the kid is delivered safe, reasonably healthy, and with all the parts in the right places.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

East Coast Hustle

I think a whole lot of people ITT are willfully misinterpreting what Ippy is saying.

Not that I agree with him, but I certainly see his point. And remember, he doesn't live in wonderful liberal tolerant Massachussets, he lives in Texas where the cultural prejudice against homosexuality is still very much alive and well. Saying that being inwardly disappointed in the uncontrollable circumstance that will cause lifelong difficulties for his child without in any way being disappointed in the child itself is some sort of "hatred" is just ignorant and stupid.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

LMNO

Yeah, so.  I went off the rails a bit.

But if you're trying to describe the feeling that you realize the world is going to take an extra big shit on your child for being who they are, then I can't help think that "disappointed" is the wrong word to be using.

Quite simply, it means you have negative feelings for who and what the child is, which (if I understand you correctly) is not what you're trying to say.  It's pointing the negative feelings in the wrong direction.

You should be disappointed in the world for taking a shit on your child, not disappointed of your child for getting shit on.

Cramulus

I can understand parents that want to see their genetic line carried through their grandkids. That's not so unusual, no?

I can understand being disappointed if your child is not going to breed.

I don't think that equates to homophobia...

Personally, I'm not interested in having kids. I can see why that would bum out my parents/grandparents and wouldn't assume they feel something negative towards me for it. (luckily, nobody in my family seems to care... hmm, maybe that's why I haven't caught the parent bug to begin with...)

rong

"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

rong

aha! moment: this is just another example of how imposing order (categorization) causes strife (persecution of those in certain categories).

discordia wins again.
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

The Good Reverend Roger

I can totally see Ippy's point, but there's a flaw in it.

There is no reason - aside from archaic laws - that a Gay person cannot have offspring.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.