News:

PD.com: "a rather irritating form of hermetic terrorism".

Main Menu

REVISED Revised opinion of 9/11 after 10 years of crap (demotivational poster)

Started by Prelate Diogenes Shandor, December 11, 2011, 03:27:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

So many people reacted to 9/11 for so long that they exhausted all the giving-a-fuck that there is to be had. If knee-jerk patriotism and the War On Terror are what it takes to prevent another 9/11, then this is my new opinion:

img]http://i.imgur.com/fqdKM.jpg[/img

This is also my first attempt at making a demotivational poster (IIRC). I think it turned out well. What do You think?

EDIT: Replaced with (hopefully) less offensive more to the point version.
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Suu

As someone who was directly effected by the towers falling, you can eat my asshole.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

If you lost someone in the attacks then you have my sympathy.

But of the 2000-6000 victims who didn't know someone that I sort of know as an online acquaintance, why do they deserve more of my sympathy than the ~147,300* other unaffiliated people who died that day, (assuming that it was otherwise normal), many of them also in my country and also by violence?

(It should be stated here that a more accurate caption would have read "apathy", but I felt that taking it a step too far would make it pop more)

*Based on World Health Organization statistics estimating an average 56 million deaths per year, or about 153319 deaths per day; minus the high end estimate of the WTC death toll to produce a lowball estimate of unrelated deaths.

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Elder Iptuous

you think 'apathy' and 'schadenfreude' are conceptually close enough for one to be construed as 'a step beyond' the other in any way?
:?

Placid Dingo

When the jokes funny, poor taste is generally quite forgivable, even with the understanding that some people will have bad shit triggered (good discussions around this in rape thread).

Problem here is joke isn't really funny, and the point being made is too unclear to be punchy. So the effort falls flat, regardless of your intentions.

Later thoughts;

If the point is to try to desensitize people to the imagery of 9/11 I can in some ways understand the concept- but the message still comes through as a bit of a fuck you to the victims, which is itself a little jarring.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Cainad (dec.)

How old are you, PDS?

Because your sense of what's "edgy" and "rebelling against the dominant paradigm" or whatever the fuck you're trying to do is roughly on par with a 15 year old. This is basically the same shit as "I'm happy Steve Jobs is dead," only with a more serious topic: going for the most obnoxious take on an issue and pretending it's some kind of profound insight.

After 10 years, your "revised opinion" on 9/11 is that you choose not to care that 3000 people were killed in an act of religious extremism? Sorry, but there's really no value in that shift in perspective.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on December 12, 2011, 05:54:59 AM
But of the 2000-6000 victims who didn't know someone that I sort of know as an online acquaintance, why do they deserve more of my sympathy than the ~147,300* other unaffiliated people who died that day, (assuming that it was otherwise normal), many of them also in my country and also by violence?

WTF so you have "Schadenfreude" over the other people that died that day as well?

Cause that's even worse.

And not just because FUCK YOU MY HIGH SCHOOL TEACHER'S NEIGHBOUR DIED FROM UNRELATED CAUSES ON 9/11.

Quote(It should be stated here that a more accurate caption would have read "apathy", but I felt that taking it a step too far would make it pop more)

Ummmmm I'm just going to assume, and this is giving you a big benefit of the doubt, maybe because it's a German loanword and because there actually isn't any proper equivalent in the English language (and no, it's not "horrormirth" either), that you simply don't have a fucking clue what you're talking about.

But THIS is "Schadenfreude" :

It's exactly that, including the negative complete asshole dickbag connotations that you attach to this familiar scene.

When you say you got "Schadenfreude" over a collapsing WTC tower and the thousands that died in it, you are Nelson, pointing with his finger at that tower and saying "Ha Ha!".

BTW this is just for clarification and possibly for other people's sake. Because even if you got the concept of "Schadenfreude" wrong, I don't expect whatever your actual intent might have been would be any less idiotic moronic stupid dumb and/or fuckbrained.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Pæs

Quote from: Cainad on December 12, 2011, 01:22:26 PM
This is basically the same shit as "I'm happy Steve Jobs is dead," only with a more serious topic
Oh, wait. This is the same guy who was happy Steve Jobs was dead.
:troll:

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Beardman Meow on December 12, 2011, 01:44:20 PM
This is basically the same shit as "I'm happy Steve Jobs is dead," only with a more serious topic

Exactly. One-trick pony.

Although I suppose it does effectively raise our collective hackles. :? Deep-cover troll?

THIS THREAD IS NOW ABOUT META-ANALYSIS AND DISCUSSION OF HOW WE AS A GROUP AND AS INDIVIDUALS REACT TO CERTAIN TROLLING TACTICS

AND PDS IS NOT INVITED, NYEH-NYEEEHH.

Pæs

I think we have to err on the side of explaining every little thing because all assholes think others are secretly assholes too and responding with anything but "that's a dumb thing to say" risks encouraging a sociopath.

Also it's good to practice explaining why something is a fucking stupid thing to say, given how often we encounter fucking stupid opinions.

We're not being trolled, oh no. We're responding on PURPOSE. WE ARE THE SOCIOLOLGICAL EXPERIMENTERS.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Beardman Meow on December 12, 2011, 01:44:20 PM

It's not a troll, though.  PDS is kinda dumb and more that a little assburgery.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Triple Zero

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Juana

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on December 12, 2011, 05:54:59 AM
If you lost someone in the attacks then you have my sympathy.

(It should be stated here that a more accurate caption would have read "apathy", but I felt that taking it a step too far would make it pop more)

*Based on World Health Organization statistics estimating an average 56 million deaths per year, or about 153319 deaths per day; minus the high end estimate of the WTC death toll to produce a lowball estimate of unrelated deaths.
Because it was a deliberate act that murdered +3000 people and changed the life of everyone else to varying degrees?

You're really a pathetic little dickweed if you can't see that.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Ok the WTC reference was a little out of control. I've modified it to show the pentagon, which seems more more on-message, I hope (as its the war on terror, the patriot act, etc that are mainly what bother me (well, also also don't like the media milking it, but mainly the government's response)).

The message is still a bit muddled. There are actually a couple of points that I'm trying to make, but I can't think of how to express them all at once that doesn't instead simply come off as pointlessly offensive rather than the kind of pointedly shocking that I was going for.

On a slightly different note, my rationale for apathy being related to schadenfreude was that schadenfreude can be seen as a negative value of sympathy, where apathy is zero sympathy.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Your message is more than a little garbled. What the fuck is the point you are trying to make? Because you are utterly failing at making one.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."