News:

What about those weed gangsters that are mad about you giving speeches in Bumfuck, Maine?

Main Menu

REVISED Revised opinion of 9/11 after 10 years of crap (demotivational poster)

Started by Prelate Diogenes Shandor, December 11, 2011, 03:27:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Nigel on December 12, 2011, 07:20:13 PM
Your message is more than a little garbled. What the fuck is the point you are trying to make? Because you are utterly failing at making one.

This. Make your point whether you look like an assbag or not.

Because you already do look like one, and may as well clarify what you're on about.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Cramulus

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on December 12, 2011, 05:53:48 PM
The message is still a bit muddled. There are actually a couple of points that I'm trying to make, but I can't think of how to express them all at once that doesn't instead simply come off as pointlessly offensive rather than the kind of pointedly shocking that I was going for.

my suggestion ---

Humor is a powerful tool! But you have to use it properly.

If your goal is to show that something is absurd and needs to change, help us see why it's absurd and why we should laugh at it.

Your audience sees this "schadenfreude" caption beneath a familliar image of destruction. Does the caption mean that their reaction to this image should be schadenfreude? Or are they supposed to feel disgusted at the caption? That is, are you trying to incite the audience by drawing their attention to people that rejoice in this destruction?

Above all, the demotivational-poster is a form of humor, so if you want the image to have punch, it needs to be a joke. When the audience laughs, you want them to be laughing with you, seeing your point from your perspective. The poster draws attention to what they should (in your opinion) be laughing at.

I sense that you're making a point here, but I'm having trouble distilling exactly what it is. Am I laughing at the destruction? the people who laugh at the destruction? Are you trying to increase or decrease schadenfreude? It's unclear to me.

Placid Dingo

What Cram said about the demotivational poster.

Were meme literate enough to know that style of image gives a one punch joke. If it's something more complex well, make something more complex. Write a poem, story, paint something. But don't rely on something too simple to express something too complex.

The issue is the same: fir my money it's less jarring now but it's still no more funny. Or coherent.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Cain

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

For those of you asking, The point that I was trying to make, is that :

the government and the DHS and the media are basically all saying "We need the Patriot Act, and increased oversight, and perpetual baleful mourning, unless of course you like seeing out country attacked"
And the poster is meant to respond "if those are the only two options you're going to give me then apparently I must like seeing our country be attacked. Here's a poster to that effect."

But I don't know how to artfully express that in a demotivational poster...
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Pæs

Cramulus

you've got an if:then in there, which is a bit complicated for the demotivational form.

Sounds like ... you're juxtaposing two images:

-terrorists destroying america
-and {whatever busted thing it is you're shining a flashlight on}

You're essentially saying "YOU MUST CHOOSE"

The next step is to think of a way to present that choice in an absurd and/or humorous way.

I think using explicit 9/11 imagery is a bit much - those images have a lot of connotations (and emotional associations) that you ALSO evoke when you use those images, and that can have the opposite effect than what you intend.

Memetic protip: Any time you use a symbol, you've also evoked the symbol's other associations and contexts. So be careful what you reference!

The last "beat" of the image should punch. If you have a caption under the image, that's where the joke will play out. Humor relies on surprise. So here's what you do: Use an American flag as a bitchin cape. Grab a baseball bat. Yell GET ER DONE. blast the fuck out of a security camera.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Phox

Placid Dingo

Quote from: Beardman Meow on December 13, 2011, 12:10:47 AM
That's a stupid message. Why are you trying to say it at all?

Disagree. That governments and media try to manipulate people into perpetual rage and depression en mass, in order to bypass reason with emotion to manipulate people into complacency with their own agenda is worth expressing artistically.

Problem here is the medium sucks for anything other than a quick punchy joke.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Pæs

Quote from: Placid Dingo on December 13, 2011, 07:37:27 AM

Disagree. That governments and media try to manipulate people into perpetual rage and depression en mass, in order to bypass reason with emotion to manipulate people into complacency with their own agenda is worth expressing artistically.

That's a different message to the one PDS gave.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Placid Dingo on December 13, 2011, 07:37:27 AM

Problem here is that OP is unclever. And lazy. Doing actual work to elucidate is beyond his wilingness.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."