News:

If they treat education like a product, they can't very well bitch when you act like a consumer.

Main Menu

7 Bizarre Trends That Predict an Economic Collapse

Started by Lord Cataplanga, December 11, 2011, 04:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Science me, babby on December 12, 2011, 10:25:25 PM
Quote from: Nigel on December 12, 2011, 10:10:05 PM
Car color has little to nothing to do with the price.

Which makes the observation, which seems to be true, even weirder.

Yeah.

Sometimes there are three color/trim price tiers, and the basic one contains four to ten colors options.

But get this; immediately prior to and during a recession, the options offered by the manufacturers become more drab.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Freeky

Quote from: Nigel on December 12, 2011, 10:33:48 PM

Yeah.

Sometimes there are three color/trim price tiers, and the basic one contains four to ten colors options.

But get this; immediately prior to and during a recession, the options offered by the manufacturers become more drab.

That feels a bit insidious.  Like they're doing it on purpose so the common folk don't get Ideas about wanting to get things better instead of just waiting for it to come around.

Lord Cataplanga

Quote from: Science me, babby on December 12, 2011, 10:37:00 PM
Quote from: Nigel on December 12, 2011, 10:33:48 PM

Yeah.

That feels a bit insidious.  Like they're doing it on purpose so the common folk don't get Ideas about wanting to get things better instead of just waiting for it to come around.

Maybe drab paint dries faster or something?

Cramulus

here's my guess about that:

during a recession, they make manufacture fewer cars, so they focus on the most popular colors?

most people seem to prefer drab colors:

Color    Percentage of New Cars
Silver    20.2%    
White    18.4%    
Black    11.6%    
Med/Dark Gray    11.5%
Light Brown    8.8%
Med/Dark Blue    8.5%
Medium Red    6.9%
Med/Dark Green    5.3%
Bright Red    3.8%
Dark Red    0.9%

Off topic: car color is correlated with accident rates

QuoteDrivers of silver-colored cars, according to the report, have a 50% less chance of being involved in an injury-causing accident than do drivers of white cars!

FUCK I DRIVE A WHITE CAR, WHAT DO I DO SHIT DAMN FUCK

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cramulus on December 13, 2011, 12:09:00 AM

during a recession, they make manufacture fewer cars, so they focus on the most popular colors?

Silver    20.2%    
White    18.4%    
Black    11.6%    
Med/Dark Gray    11.5%
Light Brown    8.8%
Med/Dark Blue    8.5%
Medium Red    6.9%
Med/Dark Green    5.3%
Bright Red    3.8%
Dark Red    0.9%

QuoteDrivers of silver-colored cars, according to the report, have a 50% less chance of being involved in an injury-causing accident than do drivers of white cars!

But during economic boom times, brighter colors are more popular. Is all I'm saying. And auto makers know that during a recession, brighter colors won't sell, so they start making fewer of them when an economic downturn approaches.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Red cars cost more to insure, presumably based on crash rates, which are then based on the tendency for people who want to drive fast to drive red cars, which itself is based on the assumption that people who want to drive fast drive red cars.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: )+( on December 13, 2011, 02:21:29 AM
Red cars cost more to insure, presumably based on crash rates, which are then based on the tendency for people who want to drive fast to drive red cars, which itself is based on the assumption that people who want to drive fast drive red cars.

Everybody knows this DESPITE THE FACT THAT IT'S COMPLETELY NOT TRUE, and it's completely irrelevant to the conversation, so shut up.

Kurt Christ

Quote from: Nigel on December 13, 2011, 12:25:41 AM

Silver    20.2%    
White    18.4%    
Black    11.6%    
Med/Dark Gray    11.5%
Light Brown    8.8%
Med/Dark Blue    8.5%
Medium Red    6.9%
Med/Dark Green    5.3%
Bright Red    3.8%
Dark Red    0.9%

But during economic boom times, brighter colors are more popular. Is all I'm saying. And auto makers know that during a recession, brighter colors won't sell, so they start making fewer of them when an economic downturn approaches.
Do you have data that shows people will preferentially choose more drab colors in times of economic scarcity given that both are equally available? I'm not disputing the phenomenon, but I think the cause and effect may be the opposite of what you posit; car companies know that brighter colors normally have less broad appeal than drab ones, and phase them out in cost-cutting measures (not that the brighter color cars cost more to produce, but it would save money to cut down on the number of colors produced total) to focus on only the safer, more widely marketable colors. This leads to fewer new bright cars on the market, and consumers who would normally want the brighter cars settle for the dull colors.
I'm not saying I know this to be the case, but from the given information, it seems to be another reasonable explanation.
Formerly known as the Space Pope (then I was excommunicated), Father Kurt Christ (I was deemed unfit to raise children, spiritual or otherwise), and Vartox (the speedo was starting to chafe)

LMNO

Oddly enough, when we bought our last car, we were told that if we wanted it in burgundy, we had to get the luxury package, with leather heated seats, power everything, Bose stereo, etc etc.  It turns out that we simply could not have the standard package in that color; it simply wasn't offered.

So, in that case (and yes, it's anecdotal), the car color was directly linked to the price.  I wonder how many car manufacturers do that.

Incidentally, we went for dark grey.  Mrs LMNO still dreams of heated seats, though.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: )+( on December 13, 2011, 02:21:29 AM

Completely untrue, but thanks for putting your two cents in. :kingmeh:
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 13, 2011, 02:14:47 PM

Oddly enough, when we bought our last car, we were told that if we wanted it in burgundy, we had to get the luxury package, with leather heated seats, power everything, Bose stereo, etc etc.  It turns out that we simply could not have the standard package in that color; it simply wasn't offered.

So, in that case (and yes, it's anecdotal), the car color was directly linked to the price.  I wonder how many car manufacturers do that.

Incidentally, we went for dark grey.  Mrs LMNO still dreams of heated seats, though.

How hot, exactly, can you get those seats?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

I believe there was a setting labled "Phoenix in July".

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 13, 2011, 05:38:32 PM
I believe there was a setting labled "Phoenix in July".

Now I have to go car shopping.

Or just SCIENCE up the car I have.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 13, 2011, 02:14:47 PM

They were lying to you. Did you know? That car salesmen will lie to you to make a sale now vs. risking you walking out and rethinking?

Yeah. They do.

Worst case scenario would be you have to wait a couple months for your car to be built and painted your color. But that guy wanted his commission NOW.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Kurt Christ on December 13, 2011, 03:44:38 AM
Quote from: Nigel on December 13, 2011, 12:25:41 AM

Silver    20.2%    
White    18.4%    
Black    11.6%    
Med/Dark Gray    11.5%
Light Brown    8.8%
Med/Dark Blue    8.5%
Medium Red    6.9%
Med/Dark Green    5.3%
Bright Red    3.8%
Dark Red    0.9%

Do you have data that shows people will preferentially choose more drab colors in times of economic scarcity given that both are equally available? I'm not disputing the phenomenon, but I think the cause and effect may be the opposite of what you posit; car companies know that brighter colors normally have less broad appeal than drab ones, and phase them out in cost-cutting measures (not that the brighter color cars cost more to produce, but it would save money to cut down on the number of colors produced total) to focus on only the safer, more widely marketable colors. This leads to fewer new bright cars on the market, and consumers who would normally want the brighter cars settle for the dull colors.
I'm not saying I know this to be the case, but from the given information, it seems to be another reasonable explanation.

By "the opposite of what you posit" I assume you mean "I am utterly illiterate" because you seem to think I said something other than "people tend to buy drab cars in a recession" and "manufacturers offer more drab colors prior to and during a recession"

You fucking complete retard.