News:

It's like that horrible screech you get when the microphone is positioned too close to a speaker, only with cops.

Main Menu

News from the LHC

Started by Igor, December 13, 2011, 03:28:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on July 09, 2012, 03:06:43 PM
Quote from: PROFOUNDLY RETARDED CHARLIE MANSON on July 07, 2012, 09:57:32 PM
one dashingly handsome fella who said that physicists use math to explain the physical universe, while mathematicians use math to explain other math.

:lol:
:cn:

:*
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Triple Zero on July 07, 2012, 11:47:30 AM
Are you just repeating this because Roger said it once?

:kingmeh:

I am really, really tired of this shit.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Freeky

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 09, 2012, 06:27:09 PM
Quote from: Triple Zero on July 07, 2012, 11:47:30 AM
Are you just repeating this because Roger said it once?

:kingmeh:

I am really, really tired of this shit.

Missed that. Yeah, that was messed up, trip.

Nephew Twiddleton

I didnt miss that. My response was something along the lines about being mad at the implication that im rogers pet parrot.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Bruce Twiddleton on July 09, 2012, 07:46:37 PM
I didnt miss that. My response was something along the lines about being mad at the implication that im rogers pet parrot.

And my response is..."It's Roger's fault, even if he's not even part of the conversation.  Again.  Just like fucking always.  Also, Roger is a cult leader.  You are all my zombies.  Or words to that effect.  Again.  Just like always."

I have to take this shit from pissed off wannbe savior-type noobs.  Now I can take it from established board members.  Between that and having crickets chirp after any given post I make, I am really, really feeling the love here.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Nephew Twiddleton

Yeah- im not mad about it anymore. Intense pain will do that. But i am still hoping that we both get an apology. I just was also hoping i wouldnt have to mention it first. Especially where trip said you had said it once. Once? Once when? Did i read it? Was i even here yet? Just because i said something that roger once said means that im aping you? I mean hypothetically its possible that you and i could independently come to the same conclusion right? The telephone got invented twice after all.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Bruce Twiddleton on July 09, 2012, 08:02:24 PM
Yeah- im not mad about it anymore. Intense pain will do that. But i am still hoping that we both get an apology. I just was also hoping i wouldnt have to mention it first. Especially where trip said you had said it once. Once? Once when? Did i read it? Was i even here yet? Just because i said something that roger once said means that im aping you? I mean hypothetically its possible that you and i could independently come to the same conclusion right? The telephone got invented twice after all.

I think you'll probably get one.  Me?  Who the fuck apologizes to a corpse?  I mean, outside of bathos-heavy scenes in bad movies or Shakespeare plays?

Nephew Twiddleton

Well i hope you get one too. I wont accept mine otherwise on principle. It was an unfair statement against both of us.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Bruce Twiddleton on July 09, 2012, 08:12:44 PM
Well i hope you get one too. I wont accept mine otherwise on principle. It was an unfair statement against both of us.

I really can't bring myself to care at the moment.

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Bruce Twiddleton on July 09, 2012, 08:02:24 PM
The telephone got invented twice after all.

I invented it two more times, and i never get any credit.
:sad:

Kai

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on July 06, 2012, 05:05:38 PM
The big one would be gravity as per general relativity.  But yeah, dark matter is somewhere in there.

It seems that figuring out the speed at which gravity operates would be an excellent way to start. The big hypothesis is that it's the same as the speed of light, or that's what I've heard)

My grandfather has been attempting to get at this problem since he finished his time dilation  research years ago. First step was figuring out the density of the earth. I remember him working with equations associated with the flattening of the Earth's crust and the reduction in flattening caused by slowing rotation. Don't think he ever got beyond diagramming the equipment involved.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Nephew Twiddleton

Im trying to wrap my head around how fast is gravity. It makes sense but its hard to think of gravity having a speed. Or potentially a particle. Or that it propagates infinitely.

Faust

Quote from: ZL 'Kai' Burington, M.S. on July 10, 2012, 10:14:58 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on July 06, 2012, 05:05:38 PM
The big one would be gravity as per general relativity.  But yeah, dark matter is somewhere in there.

It seems that figuring out the speed at which gravity operates would be an excellent way to start. The big hypothesis is that it's the same as the speed of light, or that's what I've heard)

My grandfather has been attempting to get at this problem since he finished his time dilation  research years ago. First step was figuring out the density of the earth. I remember him working with equations associated with the flattening of the Earth's crust and the reduction in flattening caused by slowing rotation. Don't think he ever got beyond diagramming the equipment involved.
And the really hard part of figuring out the speed at which gravity operates is that it tends to veer towards infinity. Even if you have the exact known mass of something large enough to have a measurable effect on an other object in a vacuum you still have to find a way to make the maths renormalise without getting that annoying infinity result.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Nephew Twiddleton

If a graviton exists and it doesnt have mass then it would be permitted to have infinite speed no?

Faust

Quote from: Bruce Twiddleton on July 10, 2012, 10:39:01 PM
If a graviton exists and it doesnt have mass then it would be permitted to have infinite speed no?

Remember all the fuss a couple of months back about those neutrinos that supposedly showed up too soon, it was a mistake but it sparked a lot of debate. photons don't have mass but they obey the speed of light conventions.
With gravity it's more tricky because as a carrier force, it's range does not seem to have a limit. If that is true than a graviton would have to be faster than light.
It's why renormalisation is so hard difficult, with the other carrier forces we were able to plug in observed measurements for them and get pretty accurate equations. How do you do that on something with such a large range on influence?
Sleepless nights at the chateau