News:

What the fuck is a homonym?  It's something that sounds gay.

Main Menu

Discordianism vs. Subgenius

Started by ZeroZeroSix, December 15, 2011, 05:57:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telarus

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 15, 2011, 11:06:05 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 15, 2011, 11:00:16 PM
TGRR, quick question: do Subgenius' squabble amongst themselves as much as Discordians?

WAY more.  Most Subgenii hate each others' guts.  Seriously.

All the originals spend all their time nowdays talking about what utter dicks all the others were.  Except Nenslo, who ALWAYS did that, and Onan Canonbite, who still wants the funny.

Yeah, Onan was the one who organized the PDX Cyclone of Slack (actually got to see Stang and a few other's schticks in person... it's very much 'tent-revivalism'/circus-headsman/salesman/mystic-hidden-order).

Seeing a room full of punks and Slackers suddenly sit down and listen to the Duke of Uke rock his Ukelele was worth the cover alone, the Slack and Salvation is totally worth the triple your money back guarantee.

Google Images "Cyclone of Slack"
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

MMMW

I think Subgenius addresses slack really well - but perhaps Discordianism has more slack.

Slurrealist

Subgenius is for converting people.
Discordianism is the true teaching.
"You're free, and freedom is beautiful. It will take time to restore chaos...but we will..."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Slurrealist on December 19, 2011, 11:45:24 PM
Subgenius is for converting people.
Discordianism is the true teaching.

That is a strangely concise angle I've never thought of before.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 15, 2011, 07:26:01 PM
Both groups are a fistful of assholes; but only one group asks for $30 first.

$35, now.  The good news is, that means you get $10 more profit if you collect on the Guaranteed Salvation or Triple Your Money Back warranty.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Miley Spears

SubGenii have an organization.

Discordians have a disorganization.

SubGenius is for people with IQs below 150.

Discordia is for people with IQs above 150.

Of course that last part is a SubGenius and Discordian joke, but it's in the books.
Keep your hands in your pockets when you're talking to me.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Bardcel on October 06, 2012, 10:18:34 AM
QuoteDiscordia is for people with IQs above 150.

Yeaaa I just knew I was in the right place  :lulz:

BTW New Facebook Group 'Discordian Society 2012' only a few months left till it is rendered invalid by the Gregorian Calendar, and self-destructs.
Free hotdogs to new members, once only offer. Don't forget our 'End of Times Party' on 21st of December 2012 (Mayan date 13.0.0.0.0,) on Limbo Peak with our very own special guest star 'Eris Discordia'. Come all dressed up as your favourite character or not, party till dawn, and listen out for when The World goes BOOOMMMMMMM!!!!!

What was wrong with Discordian Society 2011?  :?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Don Coyote

Quote from: A Very Hairy Monkey In An Ill-Fitting Tunic on October 06, 2012, 04:57:35 PM

BTW New Facebook Group 'Discordian Society 2012' only a few months left till it is rendered invalid by the Gregorian Calendar, and self-destructs.
Free hotdogs to new members, once only offer. Don't forget our 'End of Times Party' on 21st of December 2012 (Mayan date 13.0.0.0.0,) on Limbo Peak with our very own special guest star 'Eris Discordia'. Come all dressed up as your favourite character or not, party till dawn, and listen out for when The World goes BOOOMMMMMMM!!!!!

It is so last year.
:pretentious douchebag:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: American Jackal on October 06, 2012, 04:59:25 PM
Quote from: A Very Hairy Monkey In An Ill-Fitting Tunic on October 06, 2012, 04:57:35 PM

It is so last year.

:lulz:

Don Coyote

Quote from: A Very Hairy Monkey In An Ill-Fitting Tunic on October 06, 2012, 06:11:45 PM
Quote from: American Jackal on October 06, 2012, 04:59:25 PM

It is so last year.

:lulz:

Sadly this spoils my plans of making a joke on this very subject on the Discordian 2011 group.

Placid Dingo

There's a 2011 and 2012. I think 11 is more active.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Black Pope

Supposedly, some Sub-geni will not fuck, but bomb you if you can't take a joke. Although, that is what Bob Black (author of the Abolition of Work essay) claims in his article "Bomb 'em if they can't take a joke":

QuoteON NOVEMBER 22, 1989, I received a bomb in the mail at my street address. Purportedly from "Luis Zapato" at a Tampa address later established to be imaginary, it had been mailed from Wausau, Wisconsin two days before. Packaged in a cassette, it was made of a contact switch, batteries, flashcubes and small firecrackers. It looked suspicious to me — paranoia has its upside — and on an impulse I threw the thing against a door before fully opening it. There was a sound and a puff of smoke. It turns out the flashcubes all went off without igniting the firecrackers. It was a tiny little bomb, unlikely to kill, but I might have lost some fingers or been blinded. Regardless, as a postal inspector told me, "We don't take these things lightly." I lack the expertise to disarm an unexploded bomb, so I had no choice but to involve the authorities.

WHODUNIT? It was difficult not to laugh when a detective asked me, "Do you have any enemies?" Try spending 90 minutes explaining to a postal inspector what a "SubGenius" is. There are many possibilities, but the probability is that a SubGenius zombie is to blame. Since gratuitously insulting me two years ago, "Ivan Stang" has gone all-out to make a commercial success out of the Church, and there have been adverse reactions from the marginals milieu, invariably attributed to my malign influence because Stang, like his precursors at Processed World, simply can't comprehend that the difference between my kind of people and his is precisely that my friends aren't followers. Tad Kepley bootlegged the SubGenius video on his own initiative, a punishment to fit the capitalist crime which would never have occurred to somebody who hasn't owned a TV set for 13 years. Pascal Uni never even told me that he'd handed Stang the anti-Sub Dadata poster at a Lousiana devival last summer, to Stang's visible consternations. Etc. Nobody needs me to point out how crass it is for SubGenius, a collage of plagiarisms, to threaten anybody with copyright laws. But I did point it out. Stang knows he's betrayed the fringe types he built his media career on, as I observed when I reviewed High Weirdness By Mail. Recall his overreaction, in Popular Reality, to some rather offhand complaints by John Zerzan — Stang so far succumbed to guilty anxiety that his letter wasn't funny. He knows he's a shit, and it hurts.

To read further:
http://www.inspiracy.com/black/bomb.html

LMNO

I'm gonna need more citations on that one.  I don't trust the source material.

Black Pope

Another article by Bob Black about his supposed feud with Ivan Stang:

http://www.spunk.org/texts/writers/black/sp001674.html

Quote(I fell out with the Church of the SubGenius in 1987. A few years later, one of their bigshots, John Hagen-Brenner, mailed me a bomb and ended up copping a guilty plea in Federal court, and I spread the news far and wide. After a couple years in denial, H-B's high-school friend Doug Smith/"Ivan Stang" took to the Internet -- correctly assuming I wasn't there to respond -- to disparage the "Black Lies." But though I wasn't present, I had friends who were, through whose help I not only saw what Stang was saying but posted thefollowing response.)
THEY DON'T CALL IT SUBGENIUS FOR NOTHING

Black Pope

From Wiki:

QuoteChurch of the SubGenius controversy

According to two accounts by Black, he received a bomb in the mail at his street address on November 22, 1989.[3] Black claimed it was a member of the Church of the SubGenius, John Hagen-Brenner, who sent him an "improvised explosive device consisting of an audio cassette holder wired with four cadmium-type batteries, four flashbulbs, and five firecrackers",[4] as described in the charging document filed in Federal District Court. According to Black, he thought the package looked suspicious, then on impulse "threw it against the wall. There was a flash (the flashcubes) and a puff of smoke, but the firecrackers did not go off."[4] Black turned the device in to the police. Black believes that the device was sent to him because of criticism he had made of the Church, and he has repeatedly brought up the incident in his writings concerning the Church.[3] Ivan Stang and other members of the Church have denied any involvement in this incident, and no one else was charged. One of Black's texts was reposted and dismissed on the SubGenius mailing-list.[5]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Black#Church_of_the_SubGenius_controversy