News:

My opinion > Your opinion

Main Menu

Discordianism vs. Subgenius

Started by ZeroZeroSix, December 15, 2011, 05:57:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salty

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on March 02, 2014, 09:04:18 AM
Personally, I've always thought of as Discordia as DaDa, and CotSG as Surrealism.

That might be because I just like DaDa better as an artistic movement, but I'd love to hear other peoples' take on this.

Please, argue with me.

Perhaps he meant it from a spiritual perspective as opposed to an artisitic one,

Or maybe he was making it up on the spot.

Probably bullshit either way.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Cain

I personally thought the difference was about 20 years.

LMNO

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on November 09, 2012, 11:20:34 PM
Quote from: Mitt Romney's Favorite Wife on October 12, 2012, 03:05:08 PM
Quote from: Miley Spears on October 12, 2012, 03:52:04 AM
Why would they harrass Rev. Stang anyway? It's not like he's rich like Scientology or Pat Robertson.

"Kooks", all of which feel "betrayed" by him, for events that existed solely in their heads, or because the Alien Love Gardeners told them to destroy him.

So, he's kind of like the you of Subgenius?

Except that he has it WAY worse than I've ever had it.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on March 02, 2014, 09:04:18 AM
Personally, I've always thought of as Discordia as DaDa, and CotSG as Surrealism.

That might be because I just like DaDa better as an artistic movement, but I'd love to hear other peoples' take on this.

Please, argue with me.

The Church of the Subgenius is based on RAGE and BAD MOVIES/ART.

There is nothing surreal about it, really.  We fucking LOVE awful movies & crappy artwork, and we HATE everything else.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Placid Dingo

I've had the Bob Black thing confirmed from another source; he was an anarchist (still is) who was involved with COTSG and was sent a mailbomb from a member of the COTSG after that relationship soured.

But of course, as mentioned in thread Stang was in no way involved (other than I believe he knew of and had collaborated with Black).

And the poster above probably wasn't Black himself who doesn't really interact through the Internet, but anything's possible.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Placid Dingo on March 23, 2014, 04:49:37 AM
I've had the Bob Black thing confirmed from another source; he was an anarchist (still is) who was involved with COTSG and was sent a mailbomb from a member of the COTSG after that relationship soured.

But of course, as mentioned in thread Stang was in no way involved (other than I believe he knew of and had collaborated with Black).

And the poster above probably wasn't Black himself who doesn't really interact through the Internet, but anything's possible.

Buncha shit.  He fucking staged that shit.  Fuck off.

Frater BOZO

A Discordian becomes a Subgenius when they start to wonder if they could make some money off all this shit.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Frater BOZO on March 31, 2014, 09:27:15 PM
A Discordian becomes a Subgenius when they start to wonder if they could make some money off all this shit.

No, then you turn into Ben Mack or Gavriel.   :lulz:

Frater BOZO

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 31, 2014, 09:28:00 PM

Don't know who that is, but I assume they're some goofballs? I've been away for a while.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Frater BOZO on March 31, 2014, 09:30:17 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 31, 2014, 09:28:00 PM

Don't know who that is, but I assume they're some goofballs? I've been away for a while.

They are hilarious.  Ben Mack is a "marketer" who can't market, and will spend WEEKS "stewarding his reputation".  He is also an incredibly bad author and a photobombing whore.  The last bit is actually kinda funny.

Gavriel is an "entrepenuer" who basically demands that Discordians and the Subgenii give him art for free so that he can sell it and keep the cash.

Then, when you don't agree, he goes on a No True Scotsman tirade and denounces you as being the cancer that is killing <insert group>, spazzes out completely and flounces.  Then lurks for 6 weeks, waiting for people to beg him to come back.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO on December 15, 2011, 11:00:16 PM
TGRR, quick question: do Subgenius' squabble amongst themselves as much as Discordians?

Ten times worse, really.

Dok,
Was gonna answer this years ago, but got distracted.
Molon Lube

THE QLIPHITISER

I don't see Subgenuis as anything other than a parody religion. Discordianism is a little satirical in areas (albeit in a fond manner) and humor is a vehicle for conveying important ideas, like in Zen. Discordianism knocks Occultism and Religion but always strives to push past that. The principle of Greyface is at the heart of Discordianism I believe, it poses that the overemphasis on seriousness, both in religion/occultism and in general life - is the thing that perpetuates delusion, cult-behavior (which happens in the secular world too) and is ultimately a distraction. Of course, life is about balance between seriousness and humor, too much of either is a bad thing.
Discordianism has many hilarious inside jokes and in it's nature, feeds of memes. It provides a framework for absurdist anarchy, it provides guidelines of how to approach your own spirituality, it has it's own magical rituals and Mindfuck Orders. Robert Anton Wilson certainly saw this in Discordianism too and it shows in his approach to his own syncronistic adventures.
Even though Bob Wilson was also entertained by the Subgenius, I don't find much value in it outside of it's basic parody-value.
Follower of the 'Kacalinstanphia' branch of Discordianism, which emphasizes a hyper-meta-doctrine of parachaos field theory in relation to dancing submariner zombies, in accordance with Eris' decent into the megazone of the universal mind - which cannot be seen but is felt by all.

0              5              7              11:11                12                      13                     23                 69                        93                666                777                       ∞ / ∞

Everything is a lie, nothing is relative

hooplala

You just go ahead and continue being distracted by the concept of greyfaces.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Doktor Howl

Quote from: THE PRIORITISER on July 10, 2018, 02:17:46 AM
I don't see Subgenuis as anything other than a parody religion.

Then you'll never get the punchline.
Molon Lube