News:

We've got artists, scientists, scholars, pranksters, publishers, songwriters, and political activists.  We've subjected Discordia to scrutiny, torn it apart, and put it back together. We've written songs about it, we've got a stack of essays, and, to refer back to your quote above, we criticize the hell out of each other.

Main Menu

Discordianism vs. Subgenius

Started by ZeroZeroSix, December 15, 2011, 05:57:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZeroZeroSix

Hello there,

I am new to Discordianism, I read the Principia and I also know the Book of the Subgenius.
Therefore I have a few questions:
Is a Discordian at the same time also a Subgenius?
Or are there Discordians who dont accept the Subgenius philosophy at all?
What are the similarities and differences?
I feel attracted to Eris.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: ZeroZeroSix on December 15, 2011, 05:57:42 PM

1.  I am.

2.  Yes.

3.  Laughing til your guts bleed.

4.  You're fucked.  She's a tease.  She'll steal all your CDs and give you the clap.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I am a Discordian and not a Subgenius. I have the book, I've just never read it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on December 15, 2011, 06:05:29 PM
I am a Discordian and not a Subgenius. I have the book, I've just never read it.

That's a relief.  It causes swelling of the hate gland, and you're already at critical mass.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 15, 2011, 06:08:32 PM
Quote from: Nigel on December 15, 2011, 06:05:29 PM

That's a relief.  It causes swelling of the hate gland, and you're already at critical mass.

Yeah, I got yelled at for being mean to my ex-husband this morning and I am about to rupture.  :lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cramulus

Nope, they're both "opt in" tribes. Being in one doesn't mean you're in the other.

QuoteOr are there Discordians who dont accept the Subgenius philosophy at all?

speaking as a mother,
I borrow a bit from the subgenius philosophy (I find the SLACK concept to be really useful), but I find most of it to be self-important crap designed to puff up your ego and make you feel like you're in the "higher" tribe.

QuoteWhat are the similarities and differences?

that's a pretty involved question I'm not qualified to answer!

A good place to start would be to look at the differences between Kerry Thornley / Greg Hill and Ivan Stang.

Kerry and Greg were zen students, and dress their ideas in eastern clothes (like the sacred chao)
Stang wears a mad scientist costume, and a lot of his ideas wear the capitalist-cult costume (like having to buy membership into the CotSG)

QuoteI feel attracted to Eris.

Careful -- that bitch is on a TEAR this year.

LMNO

Both groups are a fistful of assholes; but only one group asks for $30 first.

Cramulus

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 15, 2011, 06:40:05 PM
Quote from: Cramulus on December 15, 2011, 06:34:44 PM
I borrow a bit from the subgenius philosophy (I find the SLACK concept to be really useful), but I find most of it to be self-important crap designed to puff up your ego and make you feel like you're in the "higher" tribe.

Note to self:  Do not use satire around people from New York.

Note to Cram:  The whole thing is a take off on Scientology, which actually means that shit when they say it.

I get the satire, it's still a ego wank.

ZeroZeroSix

By the way: Is the Jehovah-1 in the book of the Subgenius considered the same Jehovah of the bible?

It's my last question about Subgenius :wink:

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: ZeroZeroSix on December 15, 2011, 08:00:04 PM

By the way: Is the Jehovah-1 in the book of the Subgenius considered the same Jehovah of the bible?

It's my last question about Subgenius :wink:

Sometimes.

JHVH is the God recognized by the Christians.  At least, they think it is.

Jehovah-1 is a space demon that masquerades as JHVH, and spends all day convincing people to be Calvinists.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cramulus on December 15, 2011, 07:28:38 PM

Note to Cram:  The whole thing is a take off on Scientology, which actually means that shit when they say it.

We should put up a list of acceptable jokes.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 15, 2011, 07:26:01 PM
Both groups are a fistful of assholes; but only one group asks for $30 first.

Yeah, but that group also gives you TRIPLE YOUR MONEY BACK if you fail to attain salvation.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cramulus on December 15, 2011, 07:28:38 PM

Joke you don't enjoy, but is enjoyed by other people here, = ego wank?

Interesting angle...

LMNO

TGRR, quick question: do Subgenius' squabble amongst themselves as much as Discordians?

AFK

Hello there,

I am new to Discordianism, I read the Principia and I also know the Book of the Subgenius.
Therefore I have a few questions:

Not precisely the same but there is overlap.  The SG philosophy is a bit more assertive, type-A compared to Discordia, from my perspective.  There are a lot of bits I like but alot that I don't really dig.  Like Cram talked about, the bits on Slack are really good and resonate with me.  And the commentaries on human society.  It's when it gets into the sci-fi stuff that it loses me.  I know it's satire, but I feel in some places it gets a little lost in the satire.  But the powerful pieces are still just as powerful for my money. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.