News:

I liked how they introduced her, like "her mother died in an insane asylum thinking she was Queen Victoria" and my thought was, I like where I think this is going. I was not disappointed.

Main Menu

Discordianism vs. Subgenius

Started by ZeroZeroSix, December 15, 2011, 05:57:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Black Pope on October 10, 2012, 02:22:41 PM
Supposedly, some Sub-geni will not fuck, but bomb you if you can't take a joke. Although, that is what Bob Black (author of the Abolition of Work essay) claims in his article "Bomb 'em if they can't take a joke":

QuoteON NOVEMBER 22, 1989, I received a bomb in the mail at my street address. Purportedly from "Luis Zapato" at a Tampa address later established to be imaginary, it had been mailed from Wausau, Wisconsin two days before. Packaged in a cassette, it was made of a contact switch, batteries, flashcubes and small firecrackers. It looked suspicious to me — paranoia has its upside — and on an impulse I threw the thing against a door before fully opening it. There was a sound and a puff of smoke. It turns out the flashcubes all went off without igniting the firecrackers. It was a tiny little bomb, unlikely to kill, but I might have lost some fingers or been blinded. Regardless, as a postal inspector told me, "We don't take these things lightly." I lack the expertise to disarm an unexploded bomb, so I had no choice but to involve the authorities.

WHODUNIT? It was difficult not to laugh when a detective asked me, "Do you have any enemies?" Try spending 90 minutes explaining to a postal inspector what a "SubGenius" is. There are many possibilities, but the probability is that a SubGenius zombie is to blame. Since gratuitously insulting me two years ago, "Ivan Stang" has gone all-out to make a commercial success out of the Church, and there have been adverse reactions from the marginals milieu, invariably attributed to my malign influence because Stang, like his precursors at Processed World, simply can't comprehend that the difference between my kind of people and his is precisely that my friends aren't followers. Tad Kepley bootlegged the SubGenius video on his own initiative, a punishment to fit the capitalist crime which would never have occurred to somebody who hasn't owned a TV set for 13 years. Pascal Uni never even told me that he'd handed Stang the anti-Sub Dadata poster at a Lousiana devival last summer, to Stang's visible consternations. Etc. Nobody needs me to point out how crass it is for SubGenius, a collage of plagiarisms, to threaten anybody with copyright laws. But I did point it out. Stang knows he's betrayed the fringe types he built his media career on, as I observed when I reviewed High Weirdness By Mail. Recall his overreaction, in Popular Reality, to some rather offhand complaints by John Zerzan — Stang so far succumbed to guilty anxiety that his letter wasn't funny. He knows he's a shit, and it hurts.

To read further:
http://www.inspiracy.com/black/bomb.html

That's a bunch of shit.  I know Stang, and he spends all his time dodging whackos.  This seems to be one of them.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Incidentally, every single kook that goes after Stang claims "betrayal".

QuoteStang knows he's betrayed the fringe types he built his media career on,

And "Black Pope" ---> Bob Black?

Please take your crusade elsewhere.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 10, 2012, 02:32:55 PM
I'm gonna need more citations on that one.  I don't trust the source material.

You will notice that his other two sources are sources to Black claiming this happened...But no evidence and certainly not anything like a postmaster's investigation or anything like that.

LMNO

I couldn't find the federal case that the guy supposedly pleaded to, either... which should be in the public record.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 10, 2012, 04:56:22 PM
I couldn't find the federal case that the guy supposedly pleaded to, either... which should be in the public record.

I remember this being mentioned on alt.slack at one point or another.  It was basically a very tired, aging Stang venting about yet another kook.  The poor old bastard's wound up making friends with FBI agents, he had to keep meeting with over threats made to his person, etc.

Bob Dean was another one like Black.  Dean decided he (Dean) WAS "Bob", and under 2-3 different monikers, etc, hounded Stang for a decade.  Finally, one of the regulars founded a different internet group that you have to be a paid-up member of the church to join, just to give everyone a chance to talk and joke without Dean, Rev Meow, and all the other nutjobs being around to harrass Stang and some of the other Church founders.  Shit, it got so bad that Nenslo stopped writing and has never restarted, and if anything in this is an actual crime, that's it.

Black Pope

Quote from: Man Yellow on October 10, 2012, 04:25:46 PM
Incidentally, every single kook that goes after Stang claims "betrayal".

QuoteStang knows he's betrayed the fringe types he built his media career on,

And "Black Pope" ---> Bob Black?

Please take your crusade elsewhere.

Damn it, they're on to me.

Miley Spears

Why would they harrass Rev. Stang anyway? It's not like he's rich like Scientology or Pat Robertson.
Keep your hands in your pockets when you're talking to me.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Miley Spears on October 12, 2012, 03:52:04 AM
Why would they harrass Rev. Stang anyway? It's not like he's rich like Scientology or Pat Robertson.

"Kooks", all of which feel "betrayed" by him, for events that existed solely in their heads, or because the Alien Love Gardeners told them to destroy him.

Epimetheus

Subgenii are arrogant and confused, Discordians are confused and arrogant. Both are smelly and that's why I stay away from them.
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Mitt Romney's Favorite Wife on October 12, 2012, 03:05:08 PM
Quote from: Miley Spears on October 12, 2012, 03:52:04 AM

"Kooks", all of which feel "betrayed" by him, for events that existed solely in their heads, or because the Alien Love Gardeners told them to destroy him.

So, he's kind of like the you of Subgenius?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Pere Ubu

I've been reading over the texts of both systems recently (a.k.a. The Loose Canon) and here's what I've decided about things, not that you were asking me but I'm telling you anyway so there pbbbbbbblt. :fnord:

I consider SubGenius to be philosophy, and Discordianism to be religion, and both are pretty much two sides of the same flaxcoin: THIS SHIT IS ALL MADE UP.

Now, that not only means "Bob" and Eris, but EVERYTHING. EVERY goddamn thing in our civilization is the product of some human's brain processes, such as they are.

That flag you salute. Those marks on that map you fret over. That book you carry under your arm. The clothes you wear. The petty arguments that escalate into violence. The seafood you don't eat because people 2000 years ago said not to eat it. The direction you face when addressing Big Sky Buddy. The money you spend. The bright human ideals we hold dear. The very words we communicate with.

To one extent or another, IT'S ALL MADE UP. FUCKING ARTIFICIAL.

So why the hell not run with this idea? Make some MORE shit up. Be creative. Believe anything, or at least ACT like you do. Be the sand in the Conspiracy's gears, the sugar in Greyface's tank.  Do What Keepeth The Cabbages Wilting Shall Be The Whole Of The Law. Stop stressing about how what you're doing, saying or thinking is fitting into the brainfarts of some other naked monkey and go with what your True Will tells you.
If you meet Eris on the road, YOU WERE PROBABLY HOLDING THE MAP UPSIDE DOWN, DUMBASS.

Grand Episkopos and Lord High Executioner of The Temple Of The Screaming Finger

AFK

Quote from: Pere Ubu on October 07, 2013, 12:49:04 AM
I've been reading over the texts of both systems recently (a.k.a. The Loose Canon) and here's what I've decided about things, not that you were asking me but I'm telling you anyway so there pbbbbbbblt. :fnord:

I consider SubGenius to be philosophy, and Discordianism to be religion, and both are pretty much two sides of the same flaxcoin: THIS SHIT IS ALL MADE UP.

Now, that not only means "Bob" and Eris, but EVERYTHING. EVERY goddamn thing in our civilization is the product of some human's brain processes, such as they are.

That flag you salute. Those marks on that map you fret over. That book you carry under your arm. The clothes you wear. The petty arguments that escalate into violence. The seafood you don't eat because people 2000 years ago said not to eat it. The direction you face when addressing Big Sky Buddy. The money you spend. The bright human ideals we hold dear. The very words we communicate with.

To one extent or another, IT'S ALL MADE UP. FUCKING ARTIFICIAL.

So why the hell not run with this idea? Make some MORE shit up. Be creative. Believe anything, or at least ACT like you do. Be the sand in the Conspiracy's gears, the sugar in Greyface's tank.  Do What Keepeth The Cabbages Wilting Shall Be The Whole Of The Law. Stop stressing about how what you're doing, saying or thinking is fitting into the brainfarts of some other naked monkey and go with what your True Will tells you.

Fuck yes!  Preach it!
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Personally, I've always thought of as Discordia as DaDa, and CotSG as Surrealism.

That might be because I just like DaDa better as an artistic movement, but I'd love to hear other peoples' take on this.

Please, argue with me.