News:

All you can say in this site's defence is that it, rather than reality, occupies the warped minds of some of the planet's most twisted people; gods know what they would get up to if it wasn't here.  In these arguably insane times, any lessening or attenuation of madness is maybe something to be thankful for.

Main Menu

The Inevitable Christopher Hitchens has Died Thread

Started by Thurnez Isa, December 16, 2011, 05:56:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I don't really wanna be like him, or spend time around people who are. I might vehemently suggest that Babs die in a fire, but I would not be happy if he literally did. I also wouldn't post "he's dead and I don't care", although I might post "he's dead and I have mixed feelings, because no one deserves to die a horrible lingering painful death but I also feel a sense of relief because I think he was doing a lot of harm with his life".

Basically all I'm saying is, it's kind of repulsive when people start these "A CELEBRITY DIED AND I'M FIRST!" threads unless they are expressing some kind of sincere and/or rational analysis. I'm not telling anyone what's OK to post, but especially given the last three fairly recent discussions about it, I nonetheless feel quite free to express my criticism.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 16, 2011, 06:07:14 PM
Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on December 16, 2011, 05:43:35 PM
I still don't understand why Hitchens deserves even the minimal amount of respect needed to not be gleeful that he's no longer spewing his racist wanna-be tough-guy crap. My only regret is that his condition wasn't contagious, since in a just world he would have taken Megan McArdle with him.

It's hard to drum up the effort to cheer a guy into his grave, when that guy was basically mainstream America.

Don't know if I'm saying that right.

That's pretty much how I feel about it.

I might come off as a monster sometimes but I don't actually want to see my enemies dead. I don't want to become what I despise them for being.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

I still don't understand why Hitchens deserves even the minimal amount of respect needed to not be gleeful that he's no longer spewing his racist wanna-be tough-guy crap. My only regret is that his condition wasn't contagious, since in a just world he would have taken Megan McArdle with him.

How she even got a job at The Atlantic is something I struggle to understand.  Well, her, Yglesias and Ezra Klein, all three of them are godawful human beings and all went to the same schools and got the same blogging/media jobs.

The only people at The Atlantic still worth a damn are James Fallows and some of the guest writers.  Ta-Neshi Coates is painfully mainstream liberal and Andrew Sullivan is just painfully stupid.  Jeffrey Goldberg is another Iraq War/Israel nut who has been proven to be repeatedly wrong about anything he ever writes and Marc Ambinder's only "talent" is transcribing what anonymous White House sources tell the wire agencies.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 16, 2011, 06:07:14 PM

It's hard to drum up the effort to cheer a guy into his grave, when that guy was basically mainstream America.

Don't know if I'm saying that right.

Au contraire. I would happily cheer mainstream America into its grave, and see nothing wrong with doing so one douchenozzle at a time.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Nigel on December 16, 2011, 06:17:48 PMno one deserves to die a horrible lingering painful death

I'm afraid we'll just have to agree to disagree on that point. :lulz:

Quote from: Cain on December 16, 2011, 06:20:40 PM

How she even got a job at The Atlantic is something I struggle to understand.  Well, her, Yglesias and Ezra Klein, all three of them are godawful human beings and all went to the same schools and got the same blogging/media jobs.

The only people at The Atlantic still worth a damn are James Fallows and some of the guest writers.  Ta-Neshi Coates is painfully mainstream liberal and Andrew Sullivan is just painfully stupid.  Jeffrey Goldberg is another Iraq War/Israel nut who has been proven to be repeatedly wrong about anything he ever writes and Marc Ambinder's only "talent" is transcribing what anonymous White House sources tell the wire agencies.

Yeah, Fallows is the only reason I read that rag anymore. Well, that and the fact that they've somehow slipped me through the cracks of their system and keep sending it to me in spite of the fact that I haven't renewed my subscription in 4 years.

I really dug his series of articles on China.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Cain

His China stuff is always top notch, and seems to match what former Western journalists living in China tend to say about what is going on over there (there is a sizeable English-speaking Chinese blogosphere, especially in Hong Kong, and being freed from editorial concerns, barring the CCCP, they tend to be a bit more forthcoming than Official China Correspondents are).

Triple Zero

Hm. I forgot he died of cancer. That always sucks. But I still don't mind if others say they don't give a shit.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Nephew Twiddleton

Whn, if i catch you caroling outside my place i am going to have to hurt you. Christmas songs have a funny effect on me. They make me want to do violent things to whoever is responsible for me hearing them. Warm beverages are acceptable.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Kai

I heard about this first from ND Tyson on Twitter. And I sort of have a mix of feelings between "sad" and "indifferent". I'm not interested in gloating over the deceased, no matter who they are, and I do feel sad for family and close friends who feel that loss. But I really didn't know him at all, and I certainly didn't know him in person. I read one of his books, God is Not Great, in summer of 2007, and I mostly agreed with it. Most of the rest of what I "know" of him is hearsay or propaganda of some sort. I read in I Don't Believe in Atheists by Chris Hedges that Hitchens advocated bombing the middle east out of existence, but I don't know if this is true or not.

In short, I don't care enough to feel strongly about it, but I do feel something. That Tyson would mention his death makes me think that I should investigate further before passing judgment.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

East Coast Hustle

Not only did he advocate bombing the middle east out of existence, but her personally went over there for no other reason than to go around talking shit to people in order to prove what a tough guy he was and how he was willing to walk the walk that his talk implied.

Needless to say, he mostly just ended up getting his ass kicked.

Lord Cataplanga

East Coast Hustle

:lulz:

Did you even read that article?

Because it most certainly does not support your point.

hooplala

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on December 17, 2011, 02:04:09 AM
Not only did he advocate bombing the middle east out of existence, but her personally went over there for no other reason than to go around talking shit to people in order to prove what a tough guy he was and how he was willing to walk the walk that his talk implied.

Needless to say, he mostly just ended up getting his ass kicked.

So, his advocating the bombing of the middle east, but:

QuoteAu contraire. I would happily cheer mainstream America into its grave, and see nothing wrong with doing so one douchenozzle at a time.

...is totally different somehow?  Just asking, for clarification.  Because it seems sort of the same from here.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

East Coast Hustle

first of all "advocate" =/= "cheer". That should be obvious.

Second of all, I would think "the death of mainstream America" would be interpreted by most people as a reference to a shift in cultural values rather than a literal killing off of a population group and even if you DO decide to interpret it that way (and frankly I'd be fine with either interpretation as long as it would just fucking HAPPEN already) it's still not equivalent to calling for an entire region of the world to be wiped off of the map for reasons that can only be described as a heady mix of religious intolerance and racism.

Third of all, nobody is publishing my more unsavory opinions in huge mainstream publications like Vanity Fair and The Atlantic.

(edited to remove pointless assholishness that I only put in originally because I'm tired and cranky)

Pæs

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on December 17, 2011, 05:55:49 AM
Third of all, nobody is publishing my more unsavory opinions in huge mainstream publications like Vanity Fair and The Atlantic.
This is a real problem.