News:

And if you've misplaced your penis, never fear. This forum is full of dicks.

Main Menu

"If I Were a Poor Black Kid."

Started by Kai, December 17, 2011, 08:47:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I disagree that it was one of the worst op-eds ever... he was saying what he would do if he was a poor black kid, but wrapped it up with this:

QuotePresident Obama was right in his speech last week.  The division between rich and poor is a national problem.  But the biggest challenge we face isn't inequality.   It's ignorance.  So many kids from West Philadelphia don't even know these opportunities exist for them.  Many come from single-parent families whose mom or dad (or in many cases their grand mom) is working two jobs to survive and are just (understandably) too plain tired to do anything else in the few short hours they're home.  Many have teachers who are overburdened and too stressed to find the time to help every kid that needs it.  Many of these kids don't have the brains to figure this out themselves – like my kids.  Except that my kids are just lucky enough to have parents and a well-funded school system around to push them in the right direction.

Technology can help these kids.  But only if the kids want to be helped.  Yes, there is much inequality.  But the opportunity is still there in this country for those that are smart enough to go for it.

As far as I can tell, what he was doing was riffing on all that "what I would do" people out there who don't seem to understand that a lot of kids don't do those things because they don't even know about them. Of course that's what HE would do... he's a well-off white techie. So yes, there is satire in there, and sarcasm, but as far as I can tell the intended message was solid, but the delivery was too subtle for most people to pick up on (and many people won't read all the way through, or will be too emotionally tweaked to really understand what he says in the penultimate paragraph).

The last paragraph reads with sharp sarcasm after the one preceding it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I could be wrong, though, and he could just be an ignorant douche. I often tend to read people as being more intelligent than they are because it's just too depressing to believe that the world is full of that kind of willful stupidity.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

If I were writing an essay called "If I were a poor black kid" I would write:

"If I were a poor black kid, I probably wouldn't ever grow up to write for a magazine like Forbes about what being a poor black kid is like.  So I'm going to stop this thought-experiment right here, to promote authenticity."

Mangrove

I'm calling troll.

So many kids from West Philadelphia don't even know these opportunities exist for them.

West Philadelphia? Born and raised?
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Mangrove on December 19, 2011, 01:07:37 AM
I'm calling troll.

So many kids from West Philadelphia don't even know these opportunities exist for them.

West Philadelphia? Born and raised?

Why is that the thing that makes you think it's a troll?  :?

Triple Zero

Because In West Philadelphia, born and raised is the first line of the Fresh Prince themesong, which has been used a lot by 4channers as a trolling meme, kind of like a textual Rick-Roll.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Triple Zero on December 19, 2011, 01:24:53 AM
Because In West Philadelphia, born and raised is the first line of the Fresh Prince themesong, which has been used a lot by 4channers as a trolling meme, kind of like a textual Rick-Roll.

I think that's a stretch, for two reasons. One being that he lives in a nicer part of Philadelphia, so it is a natural comparison, and the other being that he didn't use the words "born and raised".

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

If he didn't live in the area, it would be way more likely to be a tip of the hand.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Nigel on December 19, 2011, 01:30:11 AM

I think that's a stretch, for two reasons. One being that he lives in a nicer part of Philadelphia, so it is a natural comparison, and the other being that he didn't use the words "born and raised".

Oh, could very well be, I was just explaining Mang's reference.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Triple Zero on December 19, 2011, 02:15:49 AM
Quote from: Nigel on December 19, 2011, 01:30:11 AM

Oh, could very well be, I was just explaining Mang's reference.

It makes sense outside of the mitigating circumstances.

Mangrove

To clarify - I wasn't being completely serious in calling troll. Was merely drawing attention to the West Philadelphia/Fresh Prince thing.
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Kai

Quote from: Nigel on December 17, 2011, 09:35:40 PM
I could be wrong, though, and he could just be an ignorant douche. I often tend to read people as being more intelligent than they are because it's just too depressing to believe that the world is full of that kind of willful stupidity.

I think he was being sincere, but speaking from a point of nearly complete ignorance. It sounded to me like one of those amateur hour philosophers asking questions about the universe as if his statements were profound. Sincere interest in the universe, but completely ignorant of the basics.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: 'Kai' ZLB, M.S. on December 20, 2011, 01:57:25 AM
Quote from: Nigel on December 17, 2011, 09:35:40 PM

I think he was being sincere, but speaking from a point of nearly complete ignorance. It sounded to me like one of those amateur hour philosophers asking questions about the universe as if his statements were profound. Sincere interest in the universe, but completely ignorant of the basics.

:( Reality is frequently very disappointing.