News:

If you really want to hurt your parents, and you don't have the nerve to be a homosexual, the least you can do is go into the arts. But do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites, standing for absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college.

Main Menu

In Case You Needed a Reminder: America is Run by Over Sensitive Second Graders

Started by Juana, December 16, 2011, 09:46:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juana

SOPA votes derailed by politician's 'offensive' tweet
A marathon debate today in the House of Representatives on the Stop Online Piracy Act wasn't derailed by procedural questions, even though not one hearing had been held on how the law would actually work.

It wasn't derailed by questions about SOPA's substance, even though legal scholars and technologists have said it could suppress free speech by virtually deleting Web sites accused of copyright infringement.

Instead, today's markup of SOPA in the House Judiciary committee was derailed by a snarky post on Twitter. (See CNET's FAQ on SOPA,/a>.)

The tweet in question came from Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa), a pro-gun, anti-abortion conservative who wrote that: "We are debating the Stop Online Piracy Act and Shiela Jackson [sic] has so bored me that I'm killing time by surfing the Internet."

That would be Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee, a Texas Democrat who's a notoriously combative member of Congress and was named the "meanest" by the Washingtonian magazine. She didn't take kindly to being called boring.

Jackson Lee objected. And the hearing ground to a sudden halt.

It was her use of the O-word--"offensive"--that interrupted the steady flow of amendments that critics were offering to SOPA, which were being merrily defeated one after another by the pro-SOPA majority on the committee.

It's inappropriate "to have a member of the Judiciary committee be so offensive," Jackson Lee said.

Unfortunately for audience members who might have appreciated the relative merits of a colloquy between Jackson Lee and her Twitter-ing interlocutor, King wasn't actually in the room by the time she discovered the alarming tweet.

Rep. F. James Sensenbrenner (R-Wisc.), the committee's previous chairman and an old parliamentary hand, leaped to his Republican colleague's defense, suggesting that the clerk delete the word "offensive" from the official record. Jackson Lee refused.

Rep. Lamar Smith, a SOPA-loving Texas Republican who's the chairman of the committee, renewed that request. He had apparently concluded that unlike "boring," her use of the word "offensive" violated House rules. (See CNET's profile of Smith.)

He asked Jackson Lee to formally withdraw her remark. She refused.

Smith tried again, saying that he was trying to "avoid making an official ruling" to the effect that Jackson Lee "impugned the integrity of a member of this committee." Would she "consider having just that one word stricken from the record?"

Jackson Lee again refused. She wanted King to "give the committee an apology."

But he wasn't there. And the important question of integrity-impugning had to be resolved. The committee members waited for the stenographer to read Jackson Lee's precise remarks back from the official transcript.

House rules, as you might imagine, provide procedures for how to deal with "disorderly words" and "unparliamentary language."

One option: "In many instances, the Chair will observe that debate is becoming personal and approaching a violation of the rules, in which case he may simply request that Members proceed in order."

But when a politico is in another building, or perhaps even in another city, and commenting through Twitter, that venerable option to promote civility (dating back to 1837) doesn't exactly work.

Jackson Lee consulted with the committee's parliamentarian. Everyone else waited.

Finally, the resolution: Jackson Lee relented. She wanted to have "just that one word stricken from the record."

Instead of King's tweet being "offensive," Jackson Lee concluded, she would merely deem it "impolitic and unkind."

King, by the way, has remained impenitent, and perhaps even amused. His last tweet says: "Judging from the many responses of my critics, they've never heard of multitasking and need to, in the words of Cain, get a sense of humor."

The committee resumed debate and a series of votes, typically by a margin of around 12 to 22, siding with the Motion Picture Association of America, the Recording Industry Association of America, and their allies. By the end of the day, SOPA remained entirely intact.
Screen shot of the tweet

I mean, we already largely knew Congress was occupied by people with the maturity level of grade schoolers, but there's nothin' like having it spelled out for you in black and white! (Mind you, I'm not pointing fingers at Jackson Lee, but pretty much everyone else)

Hilariously, Demand Progress is painting it as massive victory for the people.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Holy shit this is hilarious.

It's almost fractal. They're arguing about removing offensive material from the congressional record during the discussion about the bill to remove offensive material from the internet.

:lulz:
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Bruno

OFUK! We must be approaching a singularity!

We are on the way to d̸͢͜͜͜e҉̨ś͜͜͞͞t̴̷͘ŕ̷̨͞u̴̧c̴̶̵t̸͜͟i͘̕o̢͜͝͝n͘͜!̵̷͘͞

W̛̭̝̖̮̯̻͔ͨͪ̀ͬͪ̔ͩ̊͘e̴̢͉̱͕͍̦̺͇̫ͩ̏̀̔̎̂̅͝ ̸̑̚͏͇̩͔͚̩̙̟h̷̗̠ͪ̏͂͂́͒ͭã͇͙͗͆̃̈͛̅̉͟͝v̰͔̜̣̬̳͍̌̇̉̈́͛ê̦͇͎̦̙̦̌͛̊͢ ̷̧ͫ̒͛ͬ͑͛̆͑҉̫̤̗̥n̸͚̰̆ͣ͒͊͠o̶̮̻̘̹̖̤̅̒̆̈͌ͦ͗̈́ ̴̫̙̬̺̩͈͈̤ͬ̀ͪ̿̅̈c̡̛̳̥͎͎̝̭̈̉̉ͥ̂ͣͯͧ͜ḧ̢͈̫̙͎̙̮́̅̐̅͆ͭa̍̆́̈ͣ҉̸͚͘n̠̩͔̻̭̙͐̍͗ͬ͑̓ͫ͗ͅc̨͎͈͕̩͌ͤͤͪ̄̄̌̐͟ę̻̳̭̹͇̲̋̀̀͞ ̢̫͎̯̒ͯ͝ț͇̦̎͆ͥͩ̀ͪͪ̀o͙̲̥͓ͯ̇ ̭̯̦̬̂̓͊̓ͦͪ͢͜s̀̇̎̇͡͏͈ͅu̧͓̻̬̱͓̳̱̿̌̄̍ͩͪ͑rͯ̔҉̣͓͖̪̭̮̙v̡̗͖̇ͤ̊̓̓͛i̵̝̳̭̻ͩͧ͗ͫ͌̈́v̺͙͚͓̮̠͐̃͐̎ͧ̑͂̊͜͢ĕ͔͇̩͂;͓̥̱̣̩͆̋͌̔̚̕͜ m̈͑̀̏͏҉̨͚̯̼̝̥̪͍͙̘̖̰͇̕a̵̽̍̄͗ͭͧ҉҉̫̝̫̙̬͖͍k̛͋̌̈ͦ̉̌ͣ̇͑ͣ͂̍̃ͮ͠͏̫͉̣͖͔̖͉̹̘̼̫̗͙̦̞͠͠e̸̜͎͚͈̖͔̭͓͔͖̜̱̝͒͒͌̄͒ͥ̋̔͆ͭ̂̇̿͒͂̎́͠ͅ ̶̶̹͖̟̙͊̏ͧ̎̃̆ͬͧ̈́̓͒͝ȳ̸ͩ̆̓ͯͨͣ͐͆͒͏̷̛̟̼̭͕̳̤͕̦̯̰ơ̵̧̠̱͕͎ͥ̌ͥ͒ͨ̽̓̅̀ͯͭ̋̌̂ͫͪ̒͝͝u̇̎̏̓́͋ͩ́ͪ҉̘̣̳̞͈͚̙͚͕rͩͣ̒̍̂̈́҉҉̴̮͕̺̦͚̥̹͓̟͙̻̞͕͔̗̳͢͝ͅͅͅ ̸̺̪͉̻͓̙̇ͭ̈̆̈̚͘t̋ͧͨ̉̍̍͑̃̐̆ͪ͞҉̷͚̞͚̳̘͔̰̫̦̞̟̘͈̰͜ȋ̢͇͙̦̭͕̜̝ͫ̉͗ͩ̒̑̃̂̅͑̕m̴̫̰͖̖̽̍ͯ̐̅̋ͫ̊ͮ̈͗ͧ͂̋̏͢͡͝͝e̢̢͌͑ͥ̓̈́͂̈̓ͭ̍͑ͪ̌̓͛̿͏͍̣̲̪̣̪̟̜́!̵̵̧̞̬̺͎̱̝͇̤͇͇̭͓͂̍͋͑͌͒͋͆̋̑̈́̚̕
Formerly something else...

Juana

QuoteBut, in an optimistic twist, today’s hearing was abruptly adjourned, with the future of the so-called “Internet Blacklist Bill” suddenly less certain.
They don't explain why (which is that the Judiciary committee took their balls and went home) and the rest of the article implies that the adjournment was because of the efforts of activists. Which is the same thing Demand Progress is doing.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Cain

Steve King's attention span is unfortunately so taken up with analyzing American Muslims for signs of political deviancy and Obama for signs of covert racism that he has no time for anything else.

Cramulus

Quote from: Net on December 16, 2011, 10:12:47 PM
Holy shit this is hilarious.

It's almost fractal. They're arguing about removing offensive material from the congressional record during the discussion about the bill to remove offensive material from the internet.

:lulz:

that's what I was thinking!

if I were telling this news in a little comic book / video / short story, it would be told by Sheila Jackson Lee.

She'd be telling her husband about the tweet incident,
gesticulating violently and swearing crudely,
while washing her daughter's mouth out with soap for saying "penis"