News:

It's a bad decade to be bipedal, soft and unarmed.

Main Menu

2011 - a Year in Review

Started by Richter, December 17, 2011, 02:26:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richter

2011!

- Posting cut way back due to work computers
- Practice, sometimes 5 times a week at a dojo which looks like it will close now anyways.
- Spent a week and a half living the SCA life out in PA, and loved it.
- Memorial Day Meatup; spags gathering like should not be legal.
- Met awesome Discordians form far away lands in person at the same time. 
- Car repair and MacGuyvering through many situations.
- 2 weddings, neither of which were mine.
- Mentat-ing in a red belt
- LARP.  OMG the LARP.
- Generally was crazy busy just about every day of the week.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Suu

2011:

-Broke up with GS.
-Lived in the worst apartment of my adult life
-Lost my job, again.
-Got a much better, more relevant job to my interests and previous college degree.
-Maintained a 3.8 GPA in my 2nd semester back in university.
-Richter and I did some shitkicking when we saw the Deftones
-Got douched on by Dartmouth Fett...
-Which had amazing timing, because it came the week I was biopsed and...
-Diagnosed with HPV-related CIN-2 Cervical Dysplasia with a pin-head size of...
-CIS-CARCINOMA-IN-SITU CERVICAL CANCER
-Went to Pennsic, lived there for 2 whole weeks this year, best vacation ever.
-Got stupid and fell in love. Again. Only this time, there was a wooden castle involved.
-Got two more tattoos, courtesy of the boyfriend. Including the entire Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear on my upper back.
-Moved into an apartment that is not trying to kill me, at the expense of a roommate for the first time in 2 years.
-Had my heart ripped out, stomped on, and mutilated by Oarstroker, when he decided to go back to his previous life.
-Instead of being crafty, devious, and driving to New Hampshire with a shotgun to kill him, I turned the little happy story I was writing about him and I into a book.
-SAID BOOK IS SET TO GO TO THE PRINTERS NEXT YEAR. 2nd drafting begins in a week.
-Got some new shiny awards this year in the SCA
-Struggled, very hard, with the completion of this semester, partly due to not focusing on work because of life issues, partly not giving a shit.
-Made the solo trip to Boston to see my favorite industrial group of all time, VNV Nation, and had an amazing time. I laughed, I cried, I purged a lot of bullshit and ruined my makeup. Then fed Twid for a ride home.
-Decided to spend both Christmas and New Years in Florida this year, not wanting to ring in the new in fucking Providence.
-Just had my hopefully last round of cancer burnination.
-Got a call from one of my best friends who I've known for 22 years, and he's footing the bill for me to fly and see him in Baton Rouge in January...but that will be a story for next year's list, I'm sure.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I refuse to review 2011, other to say that it was probably the hardest year of my adult life and I'm really glad it's essentially over, and I firmly intend to change important elements of my life in a meaningful way, starting last weekend and continuing into 2012.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Suu

Quote from: Nigel on December 17, 2011, 06:35:19 PM
I refuse to review 2011, other to say that it was probably the hardest year of my adult life and I'm really glad it's essentially over, and I firmly intend to change important elements of my life in a meaningful way, starting last weekend and continuing into 2012.

:mittens:

I'm convinced that odd number years are evil...at least since 2009.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Sir Squid Diddimus

This year was horrible.

Some good stuff happened in there but the bad stuff outweighed a lot of it.

Come on 2012. This New Year's eve will be most welcomed.

Faust

2011 was good for me apart from being a distance from my fiancée for most of it.

In January I got a new job I actually enjoy using my degree on good pay.
In July I asked my girlfriend to marry me.
Went to Pink Floyds the wall and love it.
In September she started over in Maastricht studying for a masters, I have been over twice so far and she is back for a month now.
From September to the mid November I learned to drive but failed my driving test for the full licence, will be doing that next year.
As has been the trend for the last few years I have done very little writing and wish to do more.
My phd has ground to a halt. Work has been more interesting so I am thinking of switching to something more relevant to my interests.

It's not an awful lot done but I'm content and in good company. In the coming year I am hoping to be moved in with my fiancée, in whatever part of the world that happens to be.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Congratulations on your engagement, Faust!

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I don't know if 2012 is going to be better for me, but I really hope so. My main goals are to get caught up on my mortgage payments, be in school full-time, and have health insurance.

Oh, and to have my taxes filed correctly and on-time!  :lol:

LMNO

My father died.

Some good things happened, too.

Suu

LMNO

Sorry. I mean, I could say how the band released a CD, the Tao te Ching was finally made ready for publication, I got a promotion, I joined a new band, and I wrote a song about Tucson that people seem to like...

But that really doesn't tip the scales.

2011 has officially been a year of Februarys.

Suu

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 19, 2011, 03:41:27 AM

2011 has officially been a year of Februarys.

I started thinking that in June.

I am sleeping through February 2012. I am NOT going through a 4th year of that shit.

Placid Dingo

Started badly. Got flooded. Broke up with long term girlfriend.
New job in a mining town teaching Japanese.
Brisbane one Holliday. Then Japan again. Then Cairns and Melbourne. Before year end I'll get to Vietnam with family.
Met a girl and used my magicks to make her my girlfriend. Which isn't too shabby in an area where about 70% of the population is male.
Enrolled back in university.
Ended well
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

AFK

How 2011 will resolve for me is still up in the air.  I haz a job interview Thursday. 

But so far it's been a pretty decent year.  Everyone is happy and healthy.  My kids grew one year older and wackier.  Job stuff has been good.  Got appointed chair of a statewide advocacy group, got a bitchin Xmas tree. 

I don't have much to complain about ITY. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Pæs

I haven't made any progress in a way which can be easily reported to others.
I'm pretty happy with my personal evolution over the year, though.