News:

PD.com: Trimming your hair in accordance with the anarchoprimitivist lifestyle

Main Menu

2011 - a Year in Review

Started by Richter, December 17, 2011, 02:26:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

Broke up with my Ex after a steady decline.
Got my Masters Degree.
Started a relationship with Phox.
Moved back to Wisconsin.
Started and finished an internship at a world class museum.
Applied for jobs for 4 months, finally got one in "generic restaurant" doing janitorial maintenance.
Reconnected with friends from high school. All of them are awesome, one of them is more than friend now.
Applied to a PhD program.
Got published. Another one on the way in January.

Was up and down. But right now, I'm in a good place.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Dysfunctional Cunt

I survived it, so far.

:|

Well let's see.....

I lost over 200 pounds in one day.  Yes, my divorce was finally final after being separated for 11 years.

I got evicted, fought it, won and now I get to garnish them for what they took from me. 

Decided to be the nice person and not put the ex in jail for non-payment of child support until after the first of the year. 

Lived my first year as an orphan and realized just how much, knowing my parents were there, made a difference in my thinking and stress levels.

Actually tried to get out there in the dating world, that one will be continued  :lulz:

Came to understand a few things about myself and others, I realized I might actually be a sociopath but I'm learning to live with it.

East Coast Hustle

My life is so awesome that sometimes it's hard for me to believe it. If anything truly awful happened to me this year I can't remember it, and any trivially awful things were vastly outweighed by all of the awesome. I'd be happy with another decade of 2011s.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Cain

Mostly meh, but the last four months have been pretty awesome.  I suspect next year will be even better, which makes sense since the world is ending in December.

The Good Reverend Roger

2011:

My son went into the Marines.
I got mad a lot.
I hated a bunch of people.
I raged out more than was strictly necessary.

So, same as 2010, without the berserk virus-induced mental issues.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Luna

Started with a bang, with me leaving my lying, cheating, thieving douchebag spouse.  Paperwork still pending, so divorce will be on the 2012 list.

Suu and Richter introduced me to this place.

Memorial Day Meatup was awesome.  We should do again, despite the fact that the state of CT introduced a Spag Law, forbidding that much fun in one place from happening.  We used up the state's quota, so they had to shut down the amusement parks, and to balance the books by the end of December, they can't actually DO anything but sit in darkened rooms flogging themselves with live, giant worms.

Maintaining my own place for the first time in forever.  Improvement over last solo apartment.  (That one had a murder in the building less than a week after I moved in.  Funny story.)

Kept up with fencing, started lending a hand with teaching children how to kill with swords.

Lost some weight, I think, while both not trying and while refusing to even buy a bathroom scale. (Juding by how pants fit.)

Learned to brew.  Did a little sewing.  Improved my weaving.

Was busy enough with stuff that I pretty much quit playing WoW.  Social life, yay.  Made friends, found out other friends were not, really.  Made more time for the good ones.

Had heartbreak.  Got stronger.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Placid Dingo

Quote from: 'Kai' ZLB, M.S. on December 19, 2011, 03:24:34 PM
Broke up with my Ex after a steady decline.
Got my Masters Degree.
Started a relationship with Phox.
Moved back to Wisconsin.
Started and finished an internship at a world class museum.
Applied for jobs for 4 months, finally got one in "generic restaurant" doing janitorial maintenance.
Reconnected with friends from high school. All of them are awesome, one of them is more than friend now.
Applied to a PhD program.
Got published. Another one on the way in January.

Was up and down. But right now, I'm in a good place.

That sounds pretty nice.

I never draw the links between PDers until embarrassingly late.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

minuspace

Saw rendition of several years work produced off-broadway.
   Involved being coaxed back to NYC for longer than anticipated.
       Temporarily checked-out of H. California.
Got a couple articles "published".
Maintained a relationship throughout.
Been going to auditions (out-of-comfort-zone points for effort).
The negative I do not recall...

Scribbly

2011:

First few months sucked, failing to find work.
Next few months were exciting! New internship, doing things!
Last few months have sucked, job fails to pay and is no longer a challenge.

Plus side: Moved out of parents house.
Down side: Place I live in is shitty.

Goal for next year is to find better job, and move somewhere less shitty. Failing that, keep this job and stay out of parent's house.

Also survive the coming apocalypse.
I had an existential crisis and all I got was this stupid gender.

Nephew Twiddleton

We released a demo, which we later kinda stopped bothering with.
Did a bunch of shows, decided to not play outside the Boston area unless it was worth the time and effort
Got tapped to do a St. Patrick's Day show with a squeeze box player, ended up liking it, going to do it again this coming year
Met some spags, including one from Florida and one from the Netherlands Belgium
-went on a long ass walk in a failed attempt to get cigarettes
-had a lot of fun
I moved out of my mother's place again
Turned 30, played a really fun birthday show
-kicked nicotine addiction in the process
-puked a lot at the end of the night
I moved to Jamaica Plain with a friend I've known since 7th grade, and his moderately irritating 8 year old son
Almost got kicked out because of the mail, which seemed like bullshit but actually wasn't
Grandma died, went back to Ireland
Uncle Bill died
Got a late dinner/early breakfast with Suu and Luna

ETA: started making a serious effort into becoming an Irish speaker.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Cainad (dec.)

-Did not do well in school. Need to re-take at least one class, probably two. Hopefully graduation will not be set back more than it already is.

-Got a girlfriend last Spring, who graduated this semester and is traveling to lands afar. It was a good time, but we agreed to let it go and move on.

-Memorial Day Spagup was probably the most fun I had that summer. I spent the remainder of the hot months tearing out drywall, insulating, and replacing the walls. Also, sanding and refinishing the floors. And then moving my absurd amount of crap out of the basement and into the (much smaller) refinished room.

-Oh, except for the second Moosemas I attended. Shit was badass, and I regret not being able to attend this year. :sad:

-Had a much better social life than 2010, which was riddled with near-constant squabbles between close friends. Apologies were made at the very top of the year, grievances aired and addressed, and we're all closer as a result.

-Wrote fuck-all. Spent a year trying to find stuff in my head worth putting into a keyboard, came up with nothing.

-LARPed like a mad motherfucker.

Reeducation

Almost ruined my life and then discovered that my life is great.

I did that about three times. That's enough.

For now.
I am very calm

Juana

Good year. *shrug*

- got a job as a glorified tutor
- quit job as a glorified tutor
- transferred to a university
- went to a buncha raves
- started dating again
- got hiking again
- visited and connected with family I haven't seen in a long time
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Lenin McCarthy

Went through a few minor depressions, where I nearly dropped out of school altogether. July 22 happened, many friends of friends died, but noone I knew personally. Went to a similar summer camp the week after. Very strange, but nice. The rest of the year has been good. My social life has improved significantly. Made a lot of friends.
Got drunk for the first time and accidentally puked on a theology student's bible. LARPed once. Went to London and New York City with the family, and Istanbul with the Young Liberals.
I risk ending up with fabulous grades and Mediocre in Order and Conduct due to homework avoidance and heaps of unexplained absence. Started a skype group chat in July and it's still alive and
kicking. I have secret plans to turn it into a Discordian cabal, if it's not already.

Hoser McRhizzy

A lot of housing, relationship and family stuff that was evil, tiring and overall soul-draining.  Other than that
- Won a good scholarship that covered me for another year of doc studies.
- My cats continued to be freakishly fluffy.
- Kept my research assistant gig, which I really enjoy.
- Got my shenannigasms on up and down the halls of the university steadily throughout the year.
- My friend is eager to do more creative papering and egging.  She's got another 2 bags of plastic eggs and has recruited another fellow uptight student ripe for 007-y goodness.
- Didn't completely stop posting on this site.
- Got back in touch with a few brilliant friends from a former life I bailed on a decade ago, and they're still fierce little demons (and they forgave me for pulling a Persephone).
It feels unreal because it's trickling up.