News:

PD.com: We occur at random among your children.

Main Menu

No more sermons, no more rants.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, December 19, 2011, 09:14:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Okay, for about 4 fucking months now, there's been 16-20 people on at a time, all VIEWing threads.  There's a little idle chatter here and there, but nothing else.  99% of the time, everyone is VIEWing thread after thread, each waiting for SOMEONE ELSE to add more shit.

In other words, this board has become a substitute for fucking TELEVISION.  It's supposed to be fucking INTERACTIVE.  An EXCHANGE of ideas.  But what you REALLY have is the same half-dozen people posting, and everyone else passively VIEWing.

Now, I understand that people get busy, etc, and can't always post...But 18 people, and not ONE of them is talking?  What the hell am I even DOING HERE?  It's a fucking morgue.  It's the Goddamn TV room in the home for loonies.

Well, I'm not going to be party to this, anymore.  There has to be at least ONE forum out there where people actually interact with each other.  I'll try to find that...But in the meantime, I'm not going to be responsible for enabling this bullshit.  Not kidding, here, not making a joke or inviting any clever one-liners (which I am sure will be forthcoming regardless, as the expression of the highest art people are willing to shift their arses to perform).

I can hear you now..."This is just a slow period".  SERIOUSLY?  When was the last time we had a full out WOMP fight, GASM, intermittens, anything new in the fucking BIP...Anything at all?  It's been at least four fucking months.  YOU can drown in the fucking cesspool of TV-inspired mediocrity if you want.  I'm gonna go do something else.  Lazy fucking bastards.  GET YOUR SLACK BACK OR FUCKING KILL ME.

That is all.  You may now return to VIEWing.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

AFK

The dynamics of the board have changed.  I'm not sure they are always conducive to interaction and the exchange of ideas.  It's either endless mittens or a dogpile.  what's the point?  Yeah, I will fully admit, I come here for entertainment now.  It just isn't the same.  It isn't like it was when we were churning out idea after idea, sermon after sermon, rant after rant.  It's just different.  Chalk it up to different personalities, people's priorities shifting, whatever, this place just doesn't have that kind of chemistry anymore. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Nyx

It seems like there are always at least as many guests on as members. Getting more of the lurkers involved could give the forum the energy it needs.

Not that I can really speak for this place, having only today joined.

East Coast Hustle

I blame the Open Bar thread. I've always thought it was a terrible idea to have one thread that would draw the majority of conversation and inevitably turn that conversation toward the banal.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: My Lady is a Cantaloupe on December 19, 2011, 09:31:49 PM
It isn't like it was when we were churning out idea after idea, sermon after sermon, rant after rant.  It's just different.  Chalk it up to different personalities, people's priorities shifting, whatever, this place just doesn't have that kind of chemistry anymore. 

Well, half of our best posters wandered off, either because they're unemployed and can't afford the internet, or because they're scrambling to keep their jobs, or just because.  When's the last time you saw Nast or Remmy or Dr James Semaj?  Richter and Payne come in about every lunar eclipse, and Cram is here but rarely posts.

The other half are either waiting for someone ELSE to post, or they're butthurt, as you say, by endless dogpiling or because PD wasn't precisely what they wanted it to be (it isn't, and has never been, for anyone, ever.  It's not supposed to be).  And not just dogpiling, but dogpiling on the same old tired-ass subjects that we've been fighting over since 2009 (drugs, libertarianism, magickkkk, etc).

What I don't understand is how you get entertainment out of what's left.  It's basically turned into the last days of the old EB&G...People posting about the minutia of their day.  Fluff is fine, but it's all we have, now.

In any case, I see no further use in pounding out rants, etc, to a void.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on December 19, 2011, 09:43:27 PM
I blame the Open Bar thread. I've always thought it was a terrible idea to have one thread that would draw the majority of conversation and inevitably turn that conversation toward the banal.

If I have to look at one more post about someone's plumbing, I'm gonna lose my shit.

ETA:  Kill that bastard. 

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nyx on December 19, 2011, 09:37:42 PM
It seems like there are always at least as many guests on as members. Getting more of the lurkers involved could give the forum the energy it needs.

Not that I can really speak for this place, having only today joined.

Most of the guests are search bots from China.

The lurkers are the regular members.   :lulz:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 19, 2011, 09:45:44 PM

If I have to look at one more post about someone's plumbing, I'm gonna lose my shit.

Wait... does that mean you DON'T want me to post hourly updates about the state of my uterine fibroids?

What about when I get a UTI?

And yeah, I agree. Kill the Open Bar. If people want to post, make us start new threads so we at least have a second thought about whether it's worth our time to write and everyone else's time to read.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on December 19, 2011, 09:52:38 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 19, 2011, 09:45:44 PM

Wait... does that mean you DON'T want me to post hourly updates about the state of my uterine fibroids?

What about when I get a UTI?

And yeah, I agree. Kill the Open Bar. If people want to post, make us start new threads so we at least have a second thought about whether it's worth our time to write and everyone else's time to read.

This. 

Dump that fucker off a cliff.

I really, really don't want to read about people's fucking daily lives, but there's sometimes things in the bar thread worth reading.  So you look and...NO!  It's more shit about peoples' vaginal problems or school problems or some other banal shit that makes me want to punch my monitor.

As Nigel says, let people start threads if they want to talk about their daily crawl through life.

And there's no reason for anyone to put up with that sort of shit littering threads they created for another purpose.

East Coast Hustle

Locked and unstickied. I'm'a leave it in AT instead of sending it to the SECRET MODZ FORUM in case anybody wants to go through it and save any content.

Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on December 19, 2011, 09:56:56 PM
Locked and unstickied. I'm'a leave it in AT instead of sending it to the SECRET MODZ FORUM in case anybody wants to go through it and save any content.

Yeah, well, the content I wrote in it is pretty generic for me.  Let 'er sink.

TO THE BOTTOM, YOU FUCKING RUSTY SCOW!  DIEEEEEEE!

The Good Reverend Roger

Now, let's see how things go.

I'm gonna think about it a bunch over the next 3-7 days, try to come up with a new concept or three, and run with it.  I'd like to see some other people do the same thing.

If it doesn't work out in the next little while - 30 days or so - then I'm gonna pack it in.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I agree. And here's the thing; in the hands of a good writer, the most routine daily crap can be entertaining as hell. Like Da6s' Shangri-La thread... if he wasn't a good storyteller, those could be the most mundane posts ever. But they're not, they're fucking excellent and fun to read.

In the hands of an uninspired, lazy, or poor writer, the most thrilling adventures can sound banal and flat.

With the death of Open Bar, maybe when people post their stories, they will flesh them out into actual STORIES, and not just status updates about our fluid discharge. Myself included.

Nyx

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 19, 2011, 10:00:56 PM
Now, let's see how things go.

I'm gonna think about it a bunch over the next 3-7 days, try to come up with a new concept or three, and run with it.  I'd like to see some other people do the same thing.

If it doesn't work out in the next little while - 30 days or so - then I'm gonna pack it in.

"new concepts" referring to rant ideas, or ways to promote the community?

I'd love to see more energy here, but the same people can only do so much. The community needs to grow to be intellectually sustainable, and I really haven't seen much activism here. Where did all the GASMs go? (Not that there were that many) How can this place grow without getting a bunch of trolls instead of new members?