News:

And if you've misplaced your penis, never fear. This forum is full of dicks.

Main Menu

No more sermons, no more rants.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, December 19, 2011, 09:14:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Placid Dingo

Quote from: My Lady is a Cantaloupe on December 19, 2011, 09:31:49 PM
The dynamics of the board have changed.  I'm not sure they are always conducive to interaction and the exchange of ideas.  It's either endless mittens or a dogpile.  what's the point?  Yeah, I will fully admit, I come here for entertainment now.  It just isn't the same.  It isn't like it was when we were churning out idea after idea, sermon after sermon, rant after rant.  It's just different.  Chalk it up to different personalities, people's priorities shifting, whatever, this place just doesn't have that kind of chemistry anymore. 


This.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

The Johnny

I dont post cause when i read a topic, the "discussion" is over and the one liners start, and after those start, no serious response seems to be acknowledged.

And on the rare occasion that i create a new thread with something i consider interesting, it just sinks with a couple dozen views, i dont know if that is a lack of interest in my interests or viewer passivity.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Eater of Clowns

While I hate the banal self indulgent bullshit of Open Bar as much as the next, isn't preventing a thread like that exactly the kind of thing PD has always avoided doing?

We've lost a lot of good members, and while we've gained a few it hasn't made up for many of those Roger mentioned above.

As for reaction to actual content post, Roger would know better than anyone whether or not it's changed.  I can pretty accurately say that content that I've started over the years never really took off much, whether or not it's been well received it's never really been paid any attention.  That's not a complaint, by the way, but it seems to be pretty much the same in that regard as it's always been.  Look at Sepia.  Consistently one of the best writers, and consistently one of the least given any attention - which I'm guilty of as much as anyone.

Me personally, I feel pretty disengaged from this place.  My posting habits have remained similar to what they've always been, but I can see myself glossing over most of what I read.  That would be my own thing to figure out though, not a PD problem.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

Quote
the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I feel like there is decreasing interest in criticism or debate, and an increase of "look at me!" and "Hey I need some validation" posts. What's the point in critiquing anything or engaging in real discussion when it all results in a nest of passive-aggressive snarking and whining? People say ridiculous things in order to get a reaction and then instead of engaging with people criticizing them or trying to improve their work, they either lash out, or they withdraw and sulk. It's like a whole generation of adult intellectual exercise has fallen out the window, and all that's left is a pile of mittens and butthurt.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."


Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Oh, and to add... it seems like no one is interested in being challenged to break out of their prison anymore. We don't want to jailbreak; we all just want validation that our bars are OK.

Don't fucking make me examine my reality tunnel, fuckers! Dogpiling! Meanness! Other buzzwords that stand for "My viewpoint feels threatened and I don't want to have to defend it!".
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."


Placid Dingo

I think this myth of 'the real PD' and the beatdown of the noobs who don't seem to fit it is itself damaging. PD can grow in it's own way. Hanging on to a particular vision to me, seems to encourage stagnation.
h
I shouldn't have to say it but if you read this as 'be nicer to noobs', reread it.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

The Johnny

So "what do?".

Being more "civil" might work, but i guess it could be boring.

Cram sometime spoke of how drama engages people emotionally, and maybe straight out cold or civil debating does not satisfy those needs.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Placid Dingo on December 19, 2011, 10:52:33 PM
I think this myth of 'the real PD' and the beatdown of the noobs who don't seem to fit it is itself damaging. PD can grow in it's own way. Hanging on to a particular vision to me, seems to encourage stagnation.
h
I shouldn't have to say it but if you read this as 'be nicer to noobs', reread it.

What are you even fucking talking about? "Myth"?

It's ALREADY stagnating, so what are you suggesting be done about it?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."


Scribbly

I try and speak up when I have something to say, and I keep my mouth shut when I have nothing to add. When I do post, it doesn't always go anywhere, but I'll keep doing what I'm doing.

If anyone has a problem with what I do post I hope they'd tell me, or rip into me in the thread. What I don't like more than anything isn't being torn a new asshole, it is being ignored. That's what makes me shut the window and work on something else.
I had an existential crisis and all I got was this stupid gender.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Demolition_Squid on December 19, 2011, 10:58:27 PM
I try and speak up when I have something to say, and I keep my mouth shut when I have nothing to add. When I do post, it doesn't always go anywhere, but I'll keep doing what I'm doing.

If anyone has a problem with what I do post I hope they'd tell me, or rip into me in the thread. What I don't like more than anything isn't being torn a new asshole, it is being ignored. That's what makes me shut the window and work on something else.

I think this is true of most people, to tell the truth.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."


The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on December 19, 2011, 10:44:45 PM
Oh, and to add... it seems like no one is interested in being challenged to break out of their prison anymore. We don't want to jailbreak; we all just want validation that our bars are OK.

Don't fucking make me examine my reality tunnel, fuckers! Dogpiling! Meanness! Other buzzwords that stand for "My viewpoint feels threatened and I don't want to have to defend it!".

This.

We either have too much horror here, or not enough.  One or the other.  The trick is figuring out which.

And there's only one way to find out.  More later...I am in very real danger of having an idea, here.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Slurrealist

While reading the thread, a thought came to my mind - the "Ulysses project."
Basically, it's about encouraging people writing about everyday life, but in Joycean way - creating from boring events a fascinating, hilarious tale. And the project will be a collection of the "best" ones, or just a collection of the ones.
Maybe it will encourage people to write about daily life, but in a more creative way than the usual "what I did today" style.
"You're free, and freedom is beautiful. It will take time to restore chaos...but we will..."

East Coast Hustle

As much as I hate James Joyce, that idea has some merit.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.


Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

EK WAFFLR

That is actually a good Idea. Starting tomorrow night I'll try it out.

I have a character I have wanted to use for something for quite a while, so why not this?
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."


Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Cramulus






difference of opinion = YOU ARE A FUCKING RETARD

                              ^
                       content cancer




Quote from: My Lady is a Cantaloupe on December 19, 2011, 09:31:49 PM
The dynamics of the board have changed.  I'm not sure they are always conducive to interaction and the exchange of ideas.  It's either endless mittens or a dogpile.  what's the point?  Yeah, I will fully admit, I come here for entertainment now.  It just isn't the same.  It isn't like it was when we were churning out idea after idea, sermon after sermon, rant after rant.  It's just different.  Chalk it up to different personalities, people's priorities shifting, whatever, this place just doesn't have that kind of chemistry anymore. 

Yeah,

it's not the same creative trip

I used to bash my head against the wall over it
over and over it

but it's okay, you know?

I came for the projects
I stayed cause it turns out I love you guys