News:

It's funny how the position for boot-licking is so close to the one used for curb-stomping.

Main Menu

No more sermons, no more rants.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, December 19, 2011, 09:14:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on December 20, 2011, 12:06:52 AM
I have a couple story things I've been sitting on, hesitant to post (because well, y'all are some of the best writers I've seen and it's a little intimidating).

You learn to write by writing.  This ain't Gold's Gym, where the new guy trying to start out has to endure 2 years of being laughed at by the muscleheads.

Barf it up.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Beardman Meow on December 20, 2011, 12:26:30 AM
The sharing of what is seen as "the banal details of their lives" is a pretty normal part of the friendship they have with a lot of the other members.

But FFS, they can start a blog thread, right?  I don't want to hear about peoples' rotting bits unless it's funny.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

AFK

can we lump in the dating threads too? 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Pæs

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 20, 2011, 01:06:36 AM
The sharing of what is seen as "the banal details of their lives" is a pretty normal part of the friendship they have with a lot of the other members.

But FFS, they can start a blog thread, right?  I don't want to hear about peoples' rotting bits unless it's funny.
Yeah, a blog thread is a reasonables solution. Maybe even a blog thread board.

Nephew Twiddleton

I'm kinda glad to see Open Bar die. Sometimes it's just so full of stuff that you can't really get through all of it. In the course of a 24 hour period, it might have increased by another 10 pages. At that point I often just end up posting my own facebook status instead of posting it on facebook. I think that's the case with a lot of other people too, so it ends up like a scene in Seinfeld where all four of them are at the dinner and talking to each other, but are basically just conversing with themselves.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Beardman Meow on December 20, 2011, 01:15:35 AM

Hang on, thought about it.

The blog threads aren't going to get read, so the shit is going to ooze back out onto the board at large.

:x

Incidentally, I think we have TOO MANY subforums.  A few could stand to get merged.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nph. Twid. on December 20, 2011, 01:18:46 AM
I'm kinda glad to see Open Bar die. Sometimes it's just so full of stuff that you can't really get through all of it. In the course of a 24 hour period, it might have increased by another 10 pages. At that point I often just end up posting my own facebook status instead of posting it on facebook. I think that's the case with a lot of other people too, so it ends up like a scene in Seinfeld where all four of them are at the dinner and talking to each other, but are basically just conversing with themselves.

It's the oldest thread on PD, but all things must come to an end.

Kai

One of the problems I have posting here is that I'm working under a pseudonym, coming up with content that not only interests me but I hope will interest a goodly percentage of the PD populous.

The pseudonym makes it difficult, because these days I'm less likely to write things that won't be attributed to the IRL me. I want to build a single reputation, not several disjunct ones. I've considered several times just using my professional name like I do on my blog, but I'm paranoid that will decrease my future chances of employment. If it damages my chances of eventually working in a natural history collection, I don't want to do it. It's the google factor more than anything.

At the same time, I have this professional blog. I post things on this blog, articles on taxonomy, systematics, news on natural history collections, and opinions about science and biology. Just this evening I blogged about my first publication, the backstory and reasoning behind it. And the things I post about there just wouldn't fly here. Not only that, but any reputation I gain here goes into a pseudonym, and will never be actually connected to me by anyone other than those who know me here and in IRL. It's really not rewarding for me to write extensively here about science, and I hope I don't offend anyone by saying it; it has nothing to do with lack of applaud or readership and everything to do with this disconnect between this pseudonym and my professional work. And some of the things I've posted under this pseudonym, I'd be pretty embarrassed for them to get back to me IRL. I regret them. Not the good writing, the In those days, the heartfelt cynicism and passion, but the hateful words, the stupidity, the mire and muck of my past attempts, my "break from reality", etc. The folly of being semi-anonymous and letting loose.

And finally, I have a really hard time these days coming up with things that I feel would interest you all, and not just interest me. I don't have the cynical energy to put out rants against fundamentalism or creationism like I used to. I'm really not that cynical at all these days; my life is pretty stable at the moment. The world may be off it's rocker but I'm not going to live forever despite my plans to, and I just want to enjoy my time instead of being angry. I have a supportive family, a lovely Phox, an education that no one can ever take away from me, great friends, good health, I'm a published scientist, and in all likelyhood I'll be going back to graduate school this fall. Even if I don't, I'm still in good shape.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

EK WAFFLR

"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Juana

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 20, 2011, 01:04:25 AM
Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on December 20, 2011, 12:06:52 AM
I have a couple story things I've been sitting on, hesitant to post (because well, y'all are some of the best writers I've seen and it's a little intimidating).

You learn to write by writing.  This ain't Gold's Gym, where the new guy trying to start out has to endure 2 years of being laughed at by the muscleheads.

Barf it up.
Workin' on it. It was a story originally meant to be told in short installments and I have to smooth it out. I've posted it elsewhere with good results, but wasn't sure about here, is all.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Pæs

If you post in Open Bar while it's quiet, too, there is very little chance of so much as a nod of acknowledgement.
At least if you hit it while it's busy, someone might quote you before sharing their problems.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 20, 2011, 01:21:56 AM

The blog threads aren't going to get read, so the shit is going to ooze back out onto the board at large.

Incidentally, I think we have TOO MANY subforums.  A few could stand to get merged.
If the blog threads aren't getting read, they're clearly not interesting. I'll read blog threads of the people I like.

I agree that there are too many subforums. Which ones do you think need to be merged?
Is TFY,S really for collaborative projects? It's more like a less intense OKM.
Could we slam Multimedia Menace and Bring and Brag into one media-sharing board?
ETA: Also Literate Chaotic could become part of that bigger folder.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Beardman Meow on December 20, 2011, 01:28:42 AM
If you post in Open Bar while it's quiet, too, there is very little chance of so much as a nod of acknowledgement.
At least if you hit it while it's busy, someone might quote you before sharing their problems.

Incidentally, I think we have TOO MANY subforums.  A few could stand to get merged.
If the blog threads aren't getting read, they're clearly not interesting. I'll read blog threads of the people I like.

I agree that there are too many subforums. Which ones do you think need to be merged?
Could we slam Multimedia Menace and Bring and Brag into one media-sharing board?

I honestly don't even really get what TFYS,S is for other than Intermittens. Probably should merge that with either OKM, or with both Multimedia and Bring and Brag.

Literate Chaotic should probably be merged with OKM.

Maybe merge Principia Discussion with OMF. Or even better, make it a viewable child board.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nph. Twid. on December 20, 2011, 01:32:54 AM

Incidentally, I think we have TOO MANY subforums.  A few could stand to get merged.

I honestly don't even really get what TFYS,S is for other than Intermittens. Probably should merge that with either OKM, or with both Multimedia and Bring and Brag.

Maybe merge Principia Discussion with OMF. Or even better, make it a viewable child board.

Horrorology should get dumped into OKM.  It's done as a self-contained project.

Literature should get dumped into principia discussion.

Politics, cooking, and and Tech should stay the way they are.  They get a lot of traffic.

The two meta boards at the bottom should be merged.

Just my opinion.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 20, 2011, 01:36:04 AM

Horrorology should get dumped into OKM.  It's done as a self-contained project.

Literature should get dumped into principia discussion.

Politics, cooking, and and Tech should stay the way they are.  They get a lot of traffic.

The two meta boards at the bottom should be merged.

Just my opinion.

I've always enjoyed horrorology, and would like to see more traffic in there. And more original threads by people who aren't Doktor Howl. But it is your concept, so wherever you think it is fit to go is where it belongs.

Hmmm. Maybe I'll make it a point to post a few new threads in there, even though I've returned to the Nephewhood.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Beardman Meow on December 20, 2011, 01:15:35 AM

I don't see how that follows?

Why? How are low-traffic subforums preventing great content? I read them all anyway (though not with equal attention), to me subforums are just a useful way to categorize threads so I know where to look if I want to find them.

I agree we REALLY don't need a blog-thread subforum though, it'd be like Open Bar, except multi-threaded!

No no no no no and no. I strongly disagree :)

TFYS is intended for "philosophical" type discussions and ideas that are not rants. Afaik, Intermittens grew there because the first issues were partially a collection of such discussions and an exposition of our ideas. Also because it was somewhat inspired by the Black Iron Prison pamphlet, which is mostly TFYS material. In hindsight, how Intermittens ended up, it might have been better in MM.

Literate Chaotic has always been somewhat vague to me. It's got books, linguistic discussions, but also people's own story writings. Right?

And Principia Discussion is our lightning rod. It has nothing to do with O:MF, it sits there nicely at the top of our board index pretending to be a place where n00bs and Maybe Logic farts and such types can discuss the Principia, RAW and all that, so they don't do it somewhere else. And occasionally someone posts some actual interesting tidbit of Discordiania and that is also nice (such as Cram's annotated PD, the 1st Ed. PD, those kinds of things). Plus, if we try to move the pool, it'll spill and we'll never get the slimy bits out.

Merging the Meta boards sounds like a plan BTW, I'm always looking in both of them when I try to find something there.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.