News:

There's only a handful of you, and you're acting like obsessed lunatics.

I honestly wouldn't want to ever be washed up on the shore unconscious on an island run by you lot.

Main Menu

10 Points to Ponder. Or Kill TGRR.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, December 20, 2011, 01:01:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 20, 2011, 03:57:55 PM
Quote from: Nph. Twid. on December 20, 2011, 03:55:59 PM
So what's the best way to make mirth in these times? And are there still ways to do it in ways that make subtle alterations to the machine?

Apparently, I am unqualified to answer that.

Well, I asked the question and made no indication to say that you were unqualified. So I value your input as I would anyone else's.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

So far we've established that the problem is more than just Roger and Nigel, (I mean, obviously the problem is Roger and Nigel, but they're not the only ones) and that part of fixing the problem is that Roger and Nigel should post less.

OK then.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Demolition_Squid on December 20, 2011, 03:59:38 PM
Not sure where you got this from, but I hope you appreciate the irony in that you raised issues, people largely agreed with you (though you must surely have expected some disagreement), and now you are getting defensive.

Just saying.

"It's not just Roger and Nigel..."
- Cram

It is a given that Roger and Nigel are bad guys, apparently.  It goes without saying, it is blatantly obvious that we are going to be a large part of the problem.  It is because of us and those who act like us that Cram doesn't feel that we are a group he wants to be a part of.  WE ARE THE VILLAINS.  EVERY PROBLEM PD HAS IS DIRECTLY BECAUSE OF US AND OUR BAD INFLUENCE.  PERIOD.

I mean, I was being totally unreasonable when Cram said that a lot of my beliefs are "wankery".  I should have let Zenpeanut cry on my shoulder because of the vicious bigotry inherent in not being able to use the women's bathroom (which is right the fuck up there with Harvey Milk and Matthew Shepherd).  

You're right, I'm just being all defensive and shit.  Or words to that effect.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on December 20, 2011, 04:05:44 PM
So far we've established that the problem is more than just Roger and Nigel, (I mean, obviously the problem is Roger and Nigel, but they're not the only ones) and that part of fixing the problem is that Roger and Nigel should post less.

OK then.

Yeah, for SCIENCE, I think we should test this hypothesis.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on December 20, 2011, 04:01:37 PM
"An army that waits is soon an army at war with itself."

Yep.

As usual, Cain hits the nail on the fucking head.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I see your point, and I agree. My last effort didn't go so well though, so I was kind of hoping someone else would suggest a campaign.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 20, 2011, 04:08:19 PM

OK then.

Yeah, for SCIENCE, I think we should test this hypothesis.

For SCIENCE!

LMNO

[Insert polite request not to let the thread get bogged down in snark]

I think this site needs more collaboration.  We need to choose something on which we can work on, here, in real time as opposed to in real life.  

I'm not saying, "let's organize!"  I'm saying, "let's play with each other!"1

We don't have to make rules or labels, but we shouldn't do the equivalent of ranting to ourselves, either.

:lmnuendo:

Scribbly

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 20, 2011, 04:07:41 PM
Not sure where you got this from, but I hope you appreciate the irony in that you raised issues, people largely agreed with you (though you must surely have expected some disagreement), and now you are getting defensive.

Just saying.

- Cram

It is a given that Roger and Nigel are bad guys, apparently.  It goes without saying, it is blatantly obvious that we are going to be a large part of the problem.  It is because of us and those who act like us that Cram doesn't feel that we are a group he wants to be a part of.  WE ARE THE VILLAINS.  EVERY PROBLEM PD HAS IS DIRECTLY BECAUSE OF US AND OUR BAD INFLUENCE.  PERIOD.

I mean, I was being totally unreasonable when Cram said that a lot of my beliefs are "wankery".  I should have let Zenpeanut cry on my shoulder because of the vicious bigotry inherent in not being able to use the women's bathroom (which is right the fuck up there with Harvey Milk and Matthew Shepherd).  

OK then.

What we've established is that part of the problem is that it feels like people are far too willing to jump straight to personal attacks. You and Roger are the most active posters on the board, and therefore have made the largest number of attacks.

Is this in some way surprising? Would either you or Roger not say that you are quick to attack people on a personal level? It is a fair criticism as far as I can see.

Also, the passive-aggressive 'ok then' responses are pretty frustrating after calling RWHN out for being passive-aggressive. Fair enough, nobody likes to be criticised, but if you want to actually discuss what the problems are, somewhere where you ARE to a large part invested in the atmosphere of the place, you shouldn't be surprised when people say 'well actually, I'd like it if you didn't do XYZ so much...'

Nowhere has anybody said you two are EVERYTHING THAT IS WRONG WITH PD. What we've said is that we'd like to move away from certain behaviours.

Do you disagree with this? Can you please just say so if you do rather than demonstrating the point in the most frustrating way possible?
I had an existential crisis and all I got was this stupid gender.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 20, 2011, 04:11:07 PM

I think this site needs more collaboration.  We need to choose something on which we can work on, here, in real time as opposed to in real life.  

We don't have to make rules or labels, but we shouldn't do the equivalent of ranting to ourselves, either.

Yes, I agree with this.

Scribbly

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 20, 2011, 04:11:07 PM

I would be psyched to work with you guys. I don't have as much free time as I'd like, but I'd be willing to throw my hat in where I can. I might even go trolling, even if it isn't my forte, if that is what people want to do.
I had an existential crisis and all I got was this stupid gender.

Cramulus

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 20, 2011, 04:07:41 PM

Just saying.

- Cram

you know, my post was responding to RWHN's suggestion that you and nigel are a lion's share of the problem. The whole sentence goes "It's not just roger and nigel, it's everybody". Should I have said "It's everybody except roger and nigel?" I thought I was sticking up for you cats. Well I guess I didn't use enough e-prime, and now you're treating my post like a personal attack exclusively about you two. I await the beautiful fairy princess shtick to mock the suggestion that anybody should ever chill out. While you're working on that, I'll be on google reader.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Demolition_Squid on December 20, 2011, 04:11:31 PM
Also, the passive-aggressive 'ok then' responses are pretty frustrating after calling RWHN out for being passive-aggressive.

That wasn't passive-aggressive, that was a bit of unwarranted shock and surprise.

I was honestly gobsmacked.  What the hell can you say to something like that?

I posted this thread in an attempt to find the root cause of the problems at PD.  Apparently, that root cause has been found.  Mission successful, even if it turned out that the root cause was me.

:lulz:

Now, I'm a good maintenance man, always have been.  When troubleshooting a problem, you first must find the root cause of failure, and then address it.

Consider it addressed.

hooplala

I think Roger's post is spot on, and I apologize for not posting more and better.  I tend to scan threads while my computer is automating other stuff, and I am largely distracted 95% of the time.  Really I shouldn't post at all, it isn't fair to the people who are here every day and paying full attention.... but I love you guys and can't stay away.  I even dream about you fuckers.  More often than I am willing to admit.

Let me just say this... if there WAS a RogerAndNigel.com... I would read it.  So there.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Nigel on December 20, 2011, 04:09:34 PM

I see your point, and I agree. My last effort didn't go so well though, so I was kind of hoping someone else would suggest a campaign.

I guess part of it is that I'm largely not entertained by trolling campaigns. I see their value and think it's a necessary part of Discordia, but unless I'm delivering a quick thing like on Yahoo Answers, it's not really my trip. I guess I'm still feeling around for what division I belong in, to continue Cain's analogy.