News:

PD.com: children are filled with joy, adults are filled with dread and local government is filled with stupid

Main Menu

10 Points to Ponder. Or Kill TGRR.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, December 20, 2011, 01:01:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luna

Nobody is "one small voice" around here.

People react to what's posted, whether it's you, or any of a dozen "big guns" I could name, or if it's one of the brain dead trolls we get.  

Do I post every time I see something I disagree with?  Nope.  Sometimes it's because I can't articulate an argument (which tells me I need to rethink my position), and others, it's because I can see there's not going to be changing somebody's mind.

But, agree or disagree, I try to listen... even to, maybe ESPECIALLY to, the ones I disagree with.

I don't need a mirror.  There's one on the bathroom wall.  I'm here to challenge myself to think differently, to think better.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Demolition_Squid on December 20, 2011, 01:36:17 PM
Quote from: My Lady is a Cantaloupe on December 20, 2011, 01:29:34 PM
I have no problem having passionate exchanges on topics.  Lord knows I've been involved in many outside of the drug debates.  In fact, I still remember my first throw-down which was actually with LMNO.  It went on for pages and pages, and was pretty heated, but he didn't attack me personally and vice versa.  We survived and he's one of the posters I admire most on this site.  But where I do have the problem is when it gets personal and posters are attacked personally.  And I'm not just talking about me but I've seen it happen in other fights with other long-time members. 

So I think one thing we ALL can do to make things better around here is to acknowledge that we don't go THERE.  We put 110% into our opinion on whatever the topic may be but we don't go THERE and attack the person.  I think that could go a long way to making this place more conducive to information exchange and content. 

I would agree with this...

But then there are occasions where a personal attack is well deserved. The two off the top of my head are Babylon Horuv, and Triple Zero's fantastic takedown of Disco Pickle, both of which, in my opinion, richly deserve(d) what they got.

So I think overall it needs to be a bit more nuanced, and nobody should be saying 'no no personal attacks are always wrong always', but some awareness that it may be a contributing factor to the bigger problems is probably reasonable.

Yes I did, and will in the future repeatedly I am sure.

I do hope me being a shitbag doesn't meant that every time I post something it gets ignored on that basis though.  There are occasions when I have a unique perspective that is not simply wrongtarded.  That being said I think that with a few exceptions people do generally recognize those occasions when that happens.

I think the level of personal attacks that have been leveled at RWHN were out of line and detracted from the actual discussion at hand.  I doubt that is the only case of them being an obstacle to discussion but it is the one that I have noticed the most.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Juana

Other than this post, Babylon, I have taken up the policy of totally ignoring you. I have to really like the thread to even post if you're the last poster, because you're disgusting and bring the ick factor with you wherever you go (sorry, I'm generally all for "your kink is not my kink", but I draw the line at snuff, necrophilia, and pedophilia). Also, you say stupid shit far too often. Others have called you out on this far better than I (Nigel's response to "I used to know a teenage hooker who liked it!" for example), so I'll leave it at that.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Babylon, honestly, even reading your posts makes me kick myself for doing it, and I have never, ever seen you offer a "unique perspective" that was not wrongtarded. The few times I have seen you post anything that wasn't totally stupid, it has been to repeat what someone else said better a few posts prior. It is seriously hard to believe that someone as intellectually incompetent and generally repugnant as yourself can even exist, and every day I hope that you'll do something that might get you banned.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Phox

Quote from: My Lady is a Cantaloupe on December 20, 2011, 01:18:55 PM
Quote from: Doktor Zero on December 20, 2011, 11:45:19 AM
RWHN, in all seriousness, I wonder about your motivation for coming back.

I only left out of some weird paranoia linked to this job I've applied for.  I quickly realized that was a little wacky so I came back.  VOILA!

Quoteit seems that the last few times you've returned after a flounce, you've almost immediately began rehashing the same old fights that caused you to leave in the first place. You have continued to harp on the same issues with Nigel and TGRR. And, as DS has pointed out, you haven't really made a positive contribution to this thread, and yet you feel the need to get on a soapbox and... say nothing of value. Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against you personally, but I seriously do not understand what point you are trying to make right now.

I spoke my piece about what I see as part of the problem, if that is not of any value to you then so be it.  Maybe it isn't of value to anyone.  But I am a part of this community.  I've been a part of this community for 6+ years.  I've been an active member of this community.  So I'm going to throw my two cents out, if they are duds for the rest of you, oh well, my loss.  But, I WILL SURVIVE!!!!   :)

QuoteFor the record, I'll go ahead and say I care about Tuscon and Portland. I care about Mr. Language and the plant, because Nigel and Roger are my friends. So, if that's what they want to talk about, then I'll listen. That is separate from the mythology of Tuscon and the Dark Empress, which is probably one of the most entertaining mythologies that I've heard recently. For me at least, that hasn't gotten stale yet, and while others may disagree, I'd rather have stale stories about them than yet another rehash of the same drug debate that has evidently been going on here since the year dot.  

Well, I gather that quite a few folks around here do like that stuff.  I'm pretty sure I am in the minority.  Oh well.  
Condescension aside, fair enough.

AFK

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

LMNO

Well, I never took you for one who was into dry humor.

rong

"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

Nephew Twiddleton

Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

BadBeast

I'm not even sure I know what dry humour even is. Is it the sort of humour that you laugh at despite knowing it's not really funny?

Or the sort that takes you to a place where there should be funny, but isnt?
Is there an opposite type of humour, called "wet humour"?

Because that sounds like it would be funnier.
Funny that threatens to make you piss yourself. Out of something other than sheer ennui.
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Nephew Twiddleton

Dry humor is more sarcastic and deadpan and a tad bit critical. Its still funny but its more like horrormirth than safer forms of humor. Not the same thing of course but akin.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Triple Zero

Quote from: Nph. Twid. on December 25, 2011, 02:24:32 PMDry humor is more sarcastic and deadpan and a tad bit critical. Its still funny but its more like horrormirth than safer forms of humor. Not the same thing of course but akin.

Interesting. "Dry" humour in Dutch, or saying something [humorous] "dryly", afaik just means "deadpan", possibly so much it borders on the absurd, but not necessarily sarcastic or critical.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

rong

i always took dry humor to be humor that is funny, but doesn't say, "hey, look at me? i'm a joke!"

aside:  i fucking hate it when people start laughing at their own jokes before their even done telling them.  they are usually the only one laughing.
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

BadBeast

Just read back, and I got it. Dry humour is spilling a drink over someone, then telling them

"It's OK, just reach over there and put the dehumidifier on".

Which they do, but because of their wet fingers, they get a good jolt from the mains, then wet themselves in electric convulsions.

When they come round on the floor, you then inform them that you were "Taking the piss about the dehumidifier, but . . . . well, you obviously know that now". Then, if that person laughs, is that because of  "dry humour"?
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

trix

Read the OP, read the first page or two of comments, then skipped the rest because it's christmas and I'm low on time.

Just wanted to say two things:
First, I vote to keep the ban rules the same.  One of my favorite things about this board is that it embraces chaos right down to the rule set.  I missed whatever drama has Roger riled up this time, as my life has gotten busy as all hell lately, but I don't think anything is worth changing the rules over.

Second, and as for most of the rest of the OP, while your points do make sense, fuck you, this is discordia.  The boards get fast, slow, stop, run, and contain everything from swear words to facebook bullshit to a pictures of a duck's cock.  Sounds pretty discordian to me.  Most of the time it's pretty easy to tell from topic titles or at worst a short glance into the topic, whether or not the topic is facebookish drama or someone rant or what.  If it appears to be something you aren't interested in reading, fuckin don't.  It really is that easy.

I also think part of the slowness is the crazy amounts of time you spend here reading everything.  I can't even find the time to keep up with one single subforum let alone the entire board.   Does not look slow from where I am sitting.
There's good news tonight.  And bad news.  First, the bad news: there is no good news.  Now, the good news: you don't have to listen to the bad news.
Zen Without Zen Masters

Quote from: Cain
Gender is a social construct.  As society, we get to choose your gender.