News:

Nothing gets wasted around here

Main Menu

10 Points to Ponder. Or Kill TGRR.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, December 20, 2011, 01:01:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

Quote from: rong on December 25, 2011, 11:20:57 PMi always took dry humor to be humor that is funny, but doesn't say, "hey, look at me? i'm a joke!"

But isn't that pretty much exactly what "deadpan" means?

Quote from: BadBeast on December 26, 2011, 12:22:55 AM
Just read back, and I got it. Dry humour is spilling a drink over someone, then telling them

"It's OK, just reach over there and put the dehumidifier on".

Which they do, but because of their wet fingers, they get a good jolt from the mains, then wet themselves in electric convulsions.

When they come round on the floor, you then inform them that you were "Taking the piss about the dehumidifier, but . . . . well, you obviously know that now". Then, if that person laughs, is that because of  "dry humour"?

Nononono, it also needs to be deadpan. So it's when the police finds the dessicated mummified corpse three weeks later.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

BadBeast

"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

rong

i think deadpan refers only to the delivery while dry humor could also be situational.  i.e. all deadpan is dry, but not all dry is deadpan.
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

Faust

Quote from: Triple Zero on December 26, 2011, 10:52:35 AM
Quote from: rong on December 25, 2011, 11:20:57 PMi always took dry humor to be humor that is funny, but doesn't say, "hey, look at me? i'm a joke!"

But isn't that pretty much exactly what "deadpan" means?

Quote from: BadBeast on December 26, 2011, 12:22:55 AM
Just read back, and I got it. Dry humour is spilling a drink over someone, then telling them

"It's OK, just reach over there and put the dehumidifier on".

Which they do, but because of their wet fingers, they get a good jolt from the mains, then wet themselves in electric convulsions.

When they come round on the floor, you then inform them that you were "Taking the piss about the dehumidifier, but . . . . well, you obviously know that now". Then, if that person laughs, is that because of  "dry humour"?

Nononono, it also needs to be deadpan. So it's when the police finds the dessicated mummified corpse three weeks later.
Deadpan is generally without any emotion, you can have dry humour that isn't without emotion, just as long as its not really jovial or lively.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

The Good Reverend Roger

Why is all this thoughtful conversation on this fucking thread?  Trix was just in here, asking for his fair share of the drama and shit, and here YOU guys are having a fucking rational conversation.

What the hell is WRONG with people these days?  I mean, aside from LMNO.  I know what's wrong with him.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

BadBeast

I can see how "jovial, lively" Deadpan has the potential to jump across the divide to full on creepy Clowning. And how that's too close to fear to be actual humour.

I've got 'dry' down now like Roger Moore as Bond, turning his head, and just raising an eyebrow when Miss Funnyfanny walks in. Dry as in needing minimal input to distinguish an (old tired, and overused) implied gag. He did it better on The Saint first anyway.

Doesn't actually have to be funny to work either. Which is pretty unusual.
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"

AFK

dry humor is that old-timey, witty wordplay humor.  I instantly think of someone like Groucho, or an Abbot and Costello routine.  It's not sight-gags, or potty humor.  It tickles your brain.  It sometimes takes a little extra effort to "get", as opposed to seeing Jim Carey make stupid faces.  That is easy to "get", but is much less fulfilling, in my opinion. 

Punnery is often a form of dry humor, thought not always. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

BadBeast

I pondered punnery, but perceived it's predilection for a preposterously posed premise, to be perturbing, perverse, and ponderously predictable. 

BadBeast

I queried the quote, the quip, and the question, but kwudn't kwite quasp the quoncept . . .

trix

Quote from: BadBeast on December 26, 2011, 08:10:55 PM
I queried the quote, the quip, and the question, but kwudn't kwite quasp the quoncept . . .

Shouldn't stretch the syllables so, it's a sucky surrendor showing your struggle to say sentances somewhat strung together.

Reminds me of that beginning part of "V for Vendetta" when V first met Evey.
There's good news tonight.  And bad news.  First, the bad news: there is no good news.  Now, the good news: you don't have to listen to the bad news.
Zen Without Zen Masters

Quote from: Cain
Gender is a social construct.  As society, we get to choose your gender.

BadBeast

Quote from: trix on December 26, 2011, 09:56:18 PM

Shouldn't stretch the syllables so, it's a sucky surrendor showing your struggle to say sentances somewhat strung together.

Thanks trix,
Distended vowels eh? Then instead of vowels I shall stretch the premise of your critique a little, and wholeheartedly agree with your observation that my writing is indeed, on a par with Moore's. (Thanks again) And furthermore, that gives me full mandate to stretch beyond recognition any vowels I choose.   

Reginald Ret

Quote from: My Lady is a Cantaloupe on December 26, 2011, 07:03:56 PM
dry humor is that old-timey, witty wordplay humor.  I instantly think of someone like Groucho, or an Abbot and Costello routine.  It's not sight-gags, or potty humor.  It tickles your brain.  It sometimes takes a little extra effort to "get", as opposed to seeing Jim Carey make stupid faces.  That is easy to "get", but is much less fulfilling, in my opinion. 

Punnery is often a form of dry humor, thought not always. 
I disagree with this tiny bit, I've made some people laugh their ass off by deadpanly pointing out sight-gags. And as has already been established:
Quote from: rong on December 26, 2011, 01:03:16 PM
i think deadpan refers only to the delivery while dry humor could also be situational.  i.e. all deadpan is dry, but not all dry is deadpan.
Punnery often has a deadpan-esque delivery but doing it completely deadpan would take a great deal of fun out of it. It's the twinkle in the eye of the punner that triggers the attention puns need to become truly side-splitting. An unconsidered pun misses its point   It is the 'did he really? no ho wouldn't... aw fuck he did' thought that elicits the groan.
Dry humour to me is strenghtening the element of surprise by making a joke in a way that does not sound like it's a joke but judging from its contents could not be anything else.
This includes all deadpan jokes(including externally caused sight-gags if done deadpan),
puns if the victim thinks fast enough to surprise himself by translating the pun before knowing/realizing what it will be,
and Politics.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

The Good Reverend Roger

"Surrender".

TGRR,
Guardian of the Queen's English.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

BadBeast

"Sentences"
BB. If we are to guard the sacred mother tongue from the decay of colonial abuse, it's spelling is the place to start.   

trix

There's good news tonight.  And bad news.  First, the bad news: there is no good news.  Now, the good news: you don't have to listen to the bad news.
Zen Without Zen Masters

Quote from: Cain
Gender is a social construct.  As society, we get to choose your gender.