News:

PD.com: We're like the bugs in the Starship Troopers movie: infinite, unceasing, unstoppable....and our leader looks like a huge vagina

Main Menu

Where does Discordia fit in 2012?

Started by AFK, December 20, 2011, 01:37:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 21, 2011, 03:24:21 PM
Quote from: Khara on December 21, 2011, 03:21:40 PM
Fun used to be messy.  A lot of it had a bit of risk associated with it.  Some of it was just plain dumb, but in the end, a good time was had by all.  Nothing was planned, there wasn't a Saturday night package you could purchase and sit back and experience.  You went out and did it.

It's still that way.  You just have to work at it a little harder.

See and there you have it.  You have to work at it a bit, it doesn't come pre-packaged, just add water, from the shelf.  It isn't convenient.  There are no guaranteed results.

So is it programming that we want and demand the package or is it laziness because it takes effort?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Khara on December 21, 2011, 03:33:27 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 21, 2011, 03:24:21 PM
Quote from: Khara on December 21, 2011, 03:21:40 PM
Fun used to be messy.  A lot of it had a bit of risk associated with it.  Some of it was just plain dumb, but in the end, a good time was had by all.  Nothing was planned, there wasn't a Saturday night package you could purchase and sit back and experience.  You went out and did it.

It's still that way.  You just have to work at it a little harder.

See and there you have it.  You have to work at it a bit, it doesn't come pre-packaged, just add water, from the shelf.  It isn't convenient.  There are no guaranteed results.

So is it programming that we want and demand the package or is it laziness because it takes effort?

Yep.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cramulus

I think all the stuff I said in "Why is Discordia relevant in 09" is still relevant..

We're living in information saturated times, and that complicates forming an identity, an opinion, a worldview, a reality tunnel... A lot of people out there are lost and lonely, bewildered by this period of rapid change and upheaval.

Where we come in - I've always liked St. Mae's approach to Discordia, she considers herself "Clergy for the Weird".

One goal is to give people tools and signposts to help them figure out how to operate their brains and relate to 2012. The Discordian attitude is extremely useful here---

-You are not your group
-You are not your self
-Your most cherished beliefs are probably bullshit
-Order and Disorder are matters of perspective
-Be mindful of the two man con
-Humor, Joy, and Re-appropriation are tools you can use to turn a bad situation into a good one
-transform your environment piece by piece
-Real intelligence lies in meta-cognition. This is generally not something you're born with, it's a skill you can teach yourself.
-Relax: Bureaucracy is followed by Aftermath. Aftermath is followed by Chaos.

what I think we need:

The Principia Discordia 2012

<*thunder and lightning*>

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Cramulus on December 21, 2011, 03:41:49 PM

what I think we need:

We're itching for it, I think.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nph. Twid. on December 21, 2011, 06:13:45 PM

what I think we need:

Who gets to decide what goes in?

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Luna

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 21, 2011, 06:31:14 PM

what I think we need:

Whoever grabs thewheel, one would suppose, individually or collectively. 
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Luna on December 21, 2011, 06:34:31 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 21, 2011, 06:31:14 PM

what I think we need:

Whoever grabs thewheel, one would suppose, individually or collectively. 

Oh, dear.

Cramulus

Luna

Quote from: Cramulus on December 21, 2011, 06:39:23 PM
what's the right answer?

Who knows?

If the two of you are willing, I suggest you two pick a third as a tie-breaker when you can't agree, and do it.

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cramulus on December 21, 2011, 06:39:23 PM
what's the right answer?

I don't know.  If I thought I knew, I'd have suggested it.  But here's the thing...We have two "archetypes" of Discordians, at least in the writing and drawing set, and I don't see both sides getting represented.  If I had my way, I'd try to evenly mix the more optimistic stuff in with the HAHA MONKEYS stuff...But I've already been dumped from one intermittens because of my outlook, and I therefore am not feeling terribly optimistic that a good cross section will be represented.

And while intermittens is no big deal, something as ambitious and representative of the movement/religion/whatnot IS.

Dysfunctional Cunt

I actually have a lucid thought on this, if I may...

Might we start a thread, have people suggest and or vote on specific headings or chapters, then hold a competition and have everyone have the opportunity to vote on their favorite or maybe the top two.

This will hopefully accomplish a couple of things.  First, it will get people's brains working during all this xmas feasting and second, it will give us a combined project which we seem to do really well on.

Thoughts?

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Khara on December 21, 2011, 07:00:27 PM
I actually have a lucid thought on this, if I may...

Might we start a thread, have people suggest and or vote on specific headings or chapters, then hold a competition and have everyone have the opportunity to vote on their favorite or maybe the top two.

This will hopefully accomplish a couple of things.  First, it will get people's brains working during all this xmas feasting and second, it will give us a combined project which we seem to do really well on.

Thoughts?

I like that.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

AFK

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Luna

I like this.  Working together pleases me.  If it can be done without people getting butthurt over constructive criticism or their pieces not being picked, excellent.

EK WAFFLR

Quote from: Luna on December 21, 2011, 07:08:57 PM
I like this.  Working together pleases me.  If it can be done without people getting butthurt over constructive criticism or their pieces not being picked, excellent.

Should be easy enough to make a I AM SO BUTTHURT BECAUSE I WASN'T CHOSEN thread and force the smarting anuses to weep there.
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]