News:

And if you've misplaced your penis, never fear. This forum is full of dicks.

Main Menu

Where does Discordia fit in 2012?

Started by AFK, December 20, 2011, 01:37:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faust

The coil spring has been wound almost as tight as it will go.

Why is discordia still relevent in 2012, because when people sstart asking "Why, why did it all go to shit?" we can start off with "well, you see...."
Sleepless nights at the chateau

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Faust on December 22, 2011, 12:20:20 AM
The coil spring has been wound almost as tight as it will go.

Why is discordia still relevent in 2012, because when people sstart asking "Why, why did it all go to shit?" we can start off with "well, you see...."

I'm really looking forward to that.

Okay, maybe this wasn't such a bad idea.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Placid Dingo on December 21, 2011, 11:58:23 PM
Is it possible to say let's have a bunch of essays on Discordia, and basically accept all submissions?

I don't see why not.

Perhaps it could have a bible-like structure—the book of Nigel, the book of Placid Dingo, the book of Giggles—though it's all collected as one book. Some poor bastard could go through each piece and put numbers in the margins so we could cite passages: "That's just fine Mrs. Goodchristian, but allow me to quote my holy book, 'The government is a treacherous beast that must always be scrutinized.' - Roger 1:69."

Just a thought.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Eater of Clowns

I'm all but certain the Book of GIGGLES would have an awful lot of stuck together pages.

I like the Principia 2012 idea.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

LMNO

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on December 22, 2011, 03:43:54 AM
I'm all but certain the Book of GIGGLES would have an awful lot of stuck together pages.

I like the Principia 2012 idea.

I would even suggest that a printed book of PD2012 should have some pages stuck together, just to fuck with people.

LMNO

Also, it might be because I'm reading The Reactionary Mind, but "conservative thought" and "traditionalist" seem wildly disparate to me right now, in that the conservative wants to radically change society into an imagined past.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Net on December 22, 2011, 03:14:13 AM
Quote from: Placid Dingo on December 21, 2011, 11:58:23 PM
Is it possible to say let's have a bunch of essays on Discordia, and basically accept all submissions?

I don't see why not.

Perhaps it could have a bible-like structure—the book of Nigel, the book of Placid Dingo, the book of Giggles—though it's all collected as one book. Some poor bastard could go through each piece and put numbers in the margins so we could cite passages: "That's just fine Mrs. Goodchristian, but allow me to quote my holy book, 'The government is a treacherous beast that must always be scrutinized.' - Roger 1:69."

Just a thought.

I have an idea or two along these lines. Have to let it brew a little more and consult my Bible first.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Q. G. Pennyworth

Would it be possible to do something where the older essays were integrated with new material and repackaged as a full book, silly and serious and all? Not full pages copied as-is from the PD and BIP with tidbits at the end, that didn't work well in the Steve Jackson release IMO. I only ask because I'm mostly done with a personal project on that theme, and having a substantial amount of layout work done tends to help people move a little faster on submissions.

Also, I can totally do layout, if no one else has called dibs.

Cramulus

Do it do it do it!

these days, what we need most is attractive ways of presenting this garbage to an outside audience.

AFK

Are you questioning the ultimate wisdom of Mr. Steven the Jackson??? 

HOW DARE YOU!!!!

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Telarus

http://www.cracked.com/article_19688_7-horrifying-historical-origins-famous-corporate-logos_p2.html

#3. HTC Droid Eris

The Symbol Is Used For: A line of smartphones.

A line that was evidently extremely proud of its clock feature.

But the Symbol Actually Means: The goddess of frustration.

Cellphones seem to be named by the same people who name cars. They either get totally made-up words (Razr) or vaguely sci-fi sounding ones (Galaxy) or, in this case, names that sound like video game characters (Eris).

"Introducing the Verizon Sonic. Because video games are things."

The Droid Eris was the first smartphone that Verizon Wireless carried, and like a lot of modern smartphones, it boasted a lot of cool sounding features like "sense" and "multi-touch," none of which matter more than the all-important "having some goddamn service" feature which, unfortunately, it didn't have.

And that's why the name is so unintentionally fitting -- Eris was actually the Greek goddess of discord, frustration, rivalry and strife. She's known for fucking up weddings and starting the Trojan War by throwing an apple inscribed with the words "To the fairest" onto a table full of Greek gods and saying "You guys can probably sort that out."

We hear Lowell McAdam (Verizon CEO) has hooked feet.

So she's basically the Greek symbol for massive inconvenience, which makes sense when you're fumbling with your too-fat fingers over a smudgy touch screen that cracks if you so much as cast a shadow on it. Though originally the phone was called the HTC Hero, Verizon changed the name when they agreed to provide support for it. It seems almost like someone was trying to warn us.
----------

:fnord::1-fap:

:lulz: Good to see some love from the Cracked.com writing staff. I wonder if we can make contact with the Discordians over there... (though they do subcontract out most of their writing gigs, this isn't the first time I've seen a reference).
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Telarus on February 17, 2012, 06:08:59 AM
http://www.cracked.com/article_19688_7-horrifying-historical-origins-famous-corporate-logos_p2.html

#3. HTC Droid Eris

Cellphones seem to be named by the same people who name cars. They either get totally made-up words (Razr) or vaguely sci-fi sounding ones (Galaxy) or, in this case, names that sound like video game characters (Eris).

The Droid Eris was the first smartphone that Verizon Wireless carried, and like a lot of modern smartphones, it boasted a lot of cool sounding features like "sense" and "multi-touch," none of which matter more than the all-important "having some goddamn service" feature which, unfortunately, it didn't have.

And that's why the name is so unintentionally fitting -- Eris was actually the Greek goddess of discord, frustration, rivalry and strife. She's known for fucking up weddings and starting the Trojan War by throwing an apple inscribed with the words "To the fairest" onto a table full of Greek gods and saying "You guys can probably sort that out."

So she's basically the Greek symbol for massive inconvenience, which makes sense when you're fumbling with your too-fat fingers over a smudgy touch screen that cracks if you so much as cast a shadow on it. Though originally the phone was called the HTC Hero, Verizon changed the name when they agreed to provide support for it. It seems almost like someone was trying to warn us.
----------

:fnord::1-fap:

:lulz: Good to see some love from the Cracked.com writing staff. I wonder if we can make contact with the Discordians over there... (though they do subcontract out most of their writing gigs, this isn't the first time I've seen a reference).

Nice!  :lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

AFK

Quote from: Telarus on February 17, 2012, 06:08:59 AM

#3. HTC Droid Eris

----------

:fnord: :1-fap:

I actually signed up to be a contributor a few months ago.  Cept, I've had a hard time coming up with a decent concept that a) hasn't been done already or b) one that I can find enough examples.  Lists seem to be usually 5-7 entries.  One day I'll get something together and I'll see if I can work in some kind of Discordia reference/shout-out. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Cramulus

:lulz: I've got the droid eris. It's kind of a shitty phone.

but I didn't get it 'cause of the branding - I got it 'cause Eve was getting rid of hers  :p

moose

Quote from: Billy the Twid on December 20, 2011, 02:08:22 PM
I've been wondering where Discordia fits right now myself. The world seems to get crazier every day. I suppose it's an escalation of disorder to match the imposition of order. I guess what I'm wondering is where and how to push most effectively (And whether that push is a push forward or a push back).
I say push sideways. People get bogged down in dichotomies debating contentious issues. They tend to think in terms of two mutually exclusive possible positions on a given issue. The voice of reason would be trying to reconcile the two to compromise, but the voice of unreason might adopt a position outside rather than between bounds of the ideological framing of the issue, a position so bizarre as to indicate the inherent instability of the binary view of things. We should be the crazy space chimp in the room that sprinkles the world with fairy dust wherever said dust is wanting. Salvation through nonsense and all that jazz. Let's not be too serious, that seems a large part of the problem. Refuse to takes reasonable positions and undermine these futile dichotomies.
"We can even have a lobby in Washington", Harding was saying, "an organization. NAAIP. Pressure groups. Big billboards along the highway showing a babbling schizophrenic running a wrecking machine, bold, red and green type: 'Hire the Insane.' We've got a rosy future, gentlemen."