News:

If they treat education like a product, they can't very well bitch when you act like a consumer.

Main Menu

Your Own Personal Fidel Castro™

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, December 20, 2011, 06:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

Someone else would have to. Dont have that capability on the phone. Well i do it would just take ten times as long.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Faust on December 20, 2011, 06:56:54 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 20, 2011, 06:00:40 PM

Three:  It has in fact been hinted that one problem with the board is that we post too much.  Not that nobody else is posting, mind you, but that WE post too much.  Nigel and I have both reacted to this in different ways.  I will let her discuss her way if she so pleases...Contrary to popular myth, we are in fact two discreet people, not twins conjoined at the bile duct.  That being said, it's really fucking hard to express how angry it makes me when this sort of shit occurs.

I never said anything about you and Nigel, individually I said you both, separately, have among others the highest post rate on the forum. The problem IS that nobody else is posting but it is also further compounded when a thread is filled with five to ten times the amount of posts from one person then anyone else, this isn't just you, or her or any one person, the simple fact of the matter is if someone goes into a thread that is six pages long and five of those are all between one or two people it doesn't make them want to post, it does the opposite; They close the thread and move on.

If you want to get angry about what is an honest criticism I made that is nothing more the an attempt to try and keep things fresh then go ahead.

I wasn't talking about your comment, Faust.  Sorry if that was unclear.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Faust

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 20, 2011, 07:18:26 PM
Quote from: Faust on December 20, 2011, 06:56:54 PM

Three:  It has in fact been hinted that one problem with the board is that we post too much.  Not that nobody else is posting, mind you, but that WE post too much.  Nigel and I have both reacted to this in different ways.  I will let her discuss her way if she so pleases...Contrary to popular myth, we are in fact two discreet people, not twins conjoined at the bile duct.  That being said, it's really fucking hard to express how angry it makes me when this sort of shit occurs.

I never said anything about you and Nigel, individually I said you both, separately, have among others the highest post rate on the forum. The problem IS that nobody else is posting but it is also further compounded when a thread is filled with five to ten times the amount of posts from one person then anyone else, this isn't just you, or her or any one person, the simple fact of the matter is if someone goes into a thread that is six pages long and five of those are all between one or two people it doesn't make them want to post, it does the opposite; They close the thread and move on.

If you want to get angry about what is an honest criticism I made that is nothing more the an attempt to try and keep things fresh then go ahead.

I wasn't talking about your comment, Faust.  Sorry if that was unclear.
Ok, sorry for taking offence.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'm still stewing in my own juices, and debated with myself whether or not to post in this thread at all. And then I decided that I will, if only to point out a few examples of the difference between a personal attack (on a person's being or character) and an attack on an idea or discrete behavior.

"What you said is stupid and wrong." <------- attacking an idea

"No wonder all of your relationships fall apart" <------ attacking a person

"I think it is evil to support stripping someone of the ability to better themselves as the result of a drug conviction" <------- attacking an ideology

"You sound like the Official Hobbyhorse of Portland" <------ attacking a person

"I'm really tired of your hypersensitive drama" <------ attacking a behavior

"You're a stubborn bitch" <------ attacking a person

"I'm not sure I'm convinced that he has the credentials he claims to have" <------ expressing doubt

"Slut" <------- attacking a person

"I have no more fucking patience for your misanthropic jaded schtick, it's old and boring" <------- attacking a behavior

"That is the most retarded thing I have ever heard anyone express and I cannot fathom what made you say it, are you attention-whoring or something?" <------ attacking an idea

"It's not hard to see how you drove your husband away" <------- attacking a person

"Can you please stop shitting up everyone else's threads?" <------- attacking a behavior

"I don't like you" <------- I'm not really sure, this is somewhere between a personal attack and a statement of fact. It's definitely closer to a personal attack than an attack on any expressed ideas or behaviors, though. It's essentially the same as "you suck", but it could also be expressed as "you rub me the wrong way" which isn't really offensive.

Anyway, I would like to point out that almost invariably, if I tangle with someone who has already decided they don't like me (or one of the histrionic drama club members) and I attack their ideas or their behaviors, it is about 90% likelihood that they will retaliate with a personal jab designed to hit in one of the areas that I have already expressed sensitivity about, such as my love live, my attempts to date, my financial situation, or trivializing my job, whether it's relevant to the discussion or not. It's apparently a miracle of restraint that no one has gone after my kids, and I'm glad PD has the general ethic that kids are off-limits when you're trying to hurt someone's feelings.

I sure as hell have my share of personal attacks I've dished out, but in general (and I admit, I am less reserved about this sort of thing when it comes to new people who show up here with a misogynistic of homophobic rhetoric) I save personal attacks for people who have first broken that membrane with me, and thought for some reason that instead of apologizing, they could just wait a few weeks and all would be forgotten.

Keep in mind, of course, that while I may be tough as nails, I still have feelings, so when someone uses an intimate detail of my life that I am struggling to jab me with because they're butthurt that I've explained to them why their argument is stupid (or their leading character isn't believable) and they can't support it well enough to argue themselves out of the corner they've painted themselves into, it still gets to me. I don't usually BAWWWW and take my toys and go home, but if I have any respect for that person at the time, it hurts. After that, of course, any respect I had goes out the window, my skin gets a little thicker, I put them on my permanent fuck you list, and I move on. But just in case anyone is thinking "Nigel's a big girl, she can handle it"... yeah, sure I can handle it. So could you. What, would you curl up in a little ball in the corner and die if someone called you an untalented venomous abrasive slut bitch hobbyhorse who drives away everyone you love? No, you wouldn't. You could handle it just fine, the same way I do. With a sick ball in your stomach and a little tightness in your ribcage and a mild dread of logging in for a day or so.

Sometimes I think maybe I should change, and become meek and quiet and not tear down people's arguments and not demand supporting evidence and not have opinions and not be open about my sexuality and my life, and be a good, meek, demure modest girl... you know, the kind that doesn't get called "slut" or "bitch" or "willful" when she scores in an argument. But then I think, FUCK THAT, what kind of life is that? I don't want it.

And really, I also don't know if I want to continue posting here. Believe it or not, the worst thing I have read here today is the suggestion that maybe I shouldn't participate in a conversation I'm enjoying if not a lot of other people are posting. Shush, Nigel; your voice is too loud.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: My Lady is a Cantaloupe on December 20, 2011, 07:09:14 PM
RWHN, in particular, felt that this would be a good way to hurt Nigel, the same way he once commented on her love life  "No wonder your relationships always fall apart".  If a comment like that is permissible, if behavior like the above is acceptable, then I guess there are NO FUCKING LIMITS, ANYWHERE.  This works for me.

When the hell did I say that?  Link?  I think you are confusing me with someone else.  I mean, I get your conniption fit with everything else I've been commenting on, and expected no less, but I do have to draw the line at making shit up. 

I have no idea whether that was you; I don't remember who it was. However, I did use it in a PM with him (not attributed) as an example of the baffling conundrum of why THAT kind of shit goes by without comment, while "I'm not sure I'm convinced he actually works/is qualified in that field because it seems like he's trolling" (paraphrased) is taken as a "personal attack".
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

When the hell did I say that?  Link?  I think you are confusing me with someone else. 

That's entirely possible, as my memory isn't what it used to be when I was a little girl.  However, we're not real, so why should accuracy count?  It's only entertainment.  It doesn't mean anything, right?  Right right right?  We're just a phosphor dot on your screen.  You have no problem saying awful shit without regard for accuracy (and that I CAN provide a link for), so I'm not gonna run out and hire the Rand Corporation to fact check for me.  I am sure Nigel remembers who said it.  She can issue a clarification if she feels the need to, one way or the other.

I mean, I get your conniption fit with everything else I've been commenting on, and expected no less, but I do have to draw the line at making shit up. 

I didn't make it up...And the conniption fit was exactly what you wanted, so why the hell are you complaining?  Are you not entertained?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

AFK

And here we go with the exaggerated nonsense.  Right on cue.  You do this a lot.  I think the point I was making was pretty clear which is that I come here for fun now vs. content.  To anyone who is objective, that means that I'm not coming here anymore to write rants or essays on BIP or treatises on Shrapnel.  My head is not into that anymore, not here.  But, I still like to come and hang out, have fun, be entertained. 

No, but you and Nigel have taken this to mean that I'm coming here to be entertained by the drama and shenanigans.  Nope.  I find that rather dull and boring because it's the same show over and over again.  Same plot, different characters. 

And as I've said I still hang around because of the relationships I've forged.  Yes, I don't have especially great relationships with either you or Nigel but I think there are some pretty self-evident reasons for that.  My personality really doesn't jive with yours.  I doubt we'd hit it off all that well if we ever met IRL.  We just aren't the type of folks who mix.  But, there's nothing wrong with that on either end of that equation.  It takes all kind of course. 

But anyway, I really must protest attaching my name to this quote about Nigels relationships falling apart.  It just isn't the kind of thing I would say, because as I said, it's not something I follow because I don't care. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Freeky

"No wonder all of your relationships fall apart"  <--- or something to that effect, via DiscoPickle.  Also, IIRC, he also called Nigel a stubborn bitch.

Also, TTM said something similar at one time, I think maybe.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I also want to comment that the passive-aggressive jabs are not unnoticed. When someone mentions at every possible passing opportunity how bored they are by a specific (old, inactive) thread and how they never read it and don't care about it, it's pretty obvious that it's meant as a personal jab.

RWHN, you have had it out for me ever since I complained about the puns choking unrelated content threads to death. You have focused on the fact that I don't like puns (which is exactly as personal as someone not liking beads) and completely ignored that what I was actually objecting to was that you, or someone, would post a pun in someone else's thread, and for some reason a bunch of people would jump on board and the thread would turn into a pun competition, effectively killing it.

You have two or three pun threads floating around the board; that's perfect. That's a great place to have a pun-off. A pun here and there isn't a bad thing. It's when they were choking off content threads that, IMO, it was a problem. But since I objected to that and asked if we could please just nip that trend in the bud, you have been making passive-aggressive little pokes at me all over the board, perhaps thinking you were being subtle or something, and I largely ignore them. But I notice them, and frankly, sir, you are a huge, pink, inflamed anus. <------ personal attack

Nephew Twiddleton

Rwhn- while you didnt say the no wonder line and while i understood what you meant by entertainment i think there main focus going on here from nigel is ad hominem attacks. Just because you didnt do one doesnt mean you didnt do another. I cant say either way. As ive mentioned i get sick of board drama pretty quick. Im not sure why im even jumping in here.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Nph. Twid. on December 20, 2011, 07:41:28 PM
Rwhn- while you didnt say the no wonder line and while i understood what you meant by entertainment i think there main focus going on here from nigel is ad hominem attacks. Just because you didnt do one doesnt mean you didnt do another. I cant say either way. As ive mentioned i get sick of board drama pretty quick. Im not sure why im even jumping in here.

Oh, I'm not even specifying him in those. I think his worst was the "I don't like you, don't talk to me" line, which he pulled out because I was badgering him for citations and making fun of his whole "confidential sources higher up" thing.

The rest of it is all other people. I posted this in response to his, and other, posts in the 10 points thread insinuating and/or saying outright that I am the main culprit in launching personal attacks on the board.

Cain

I don't like beads or puns.  Or even Star Wars.

AFK

Quote from: Nigel on December 20, 2011, 07:38:55 PM
RWHN, you have had it out for me ever since I complained about the puns choking unrelated content threads to death. You have focused on the fact that I don't like puns (which is exactly as personal as someone not liking beads) and completely ignored that what I was actually objecting to was that you, or someone, would post a pun in someone else's thread, and for some reason a bunch of people would jump on board and the thread would turn into a pun competition, effectively killing it.

Nope.  I could care less whether or not you like the puns.  And I would note that I actually have taken great care to not post puns in other people's threads unless it was a silly thread and it was a poster who I knew wouldn't mind.  More often or not it is the "everyone else piling on" that derails the thread.  It seemed to have evolved to the point that whenever I made a pun, everyone thought I was trying to start a pun-off, which is never the case.  It's not my fault everyone does that.  (I guess I have pun-mind-control lazers or something)

And I've admitted in the past that I'm not all that fond of you.  But it's just a personality thing.  You are who you are, I am who I am.  But where it went too far, for me, was casting me as a fraud.  That I had made up over all these years everything about my education and my profession.  And then more than one person jumped onto that bandwagon.  I mean, that's kind of harsh, I think.  To label someone a fraud.  A community member who's been here for over 6 years and has contributed a lot of time and effort into the community.  To be labeled a fraud.  Yeah, that does still irk me quite a bit.  Ook Ook!
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: My Lady is a Cantaloupe on December 20, 2011, 07:51:24 PM
Quote from: Nigel on December 20, 2011, 07:38:55 PM

Nope.  I could care less whether or not you like the puns.  And I would note that I actually have taken great care to not post puns in other people's threads unless it was a silly thread and it was a poster who I knew wouldn't mind.  More often or not it is the "everyone else piling on" that derails the thread.  It seemed to have evolved to the point that whenever I made a pun, everyone thought I was trying to start a pun-off, which is never the case.  It's not my fault everyone does that.  (I guess I have pun-mind-control lazers or something)

And I've admitted in the past that I'm not all that fond of you.  But it's just a personality thing.  You are who you are, I am who I am.  But where it went too far, for me, was casting me as a fraud.  That I had made up over all these years everything about my education and my profession.  And then more than one person jumped onto that bandwagon.  I mean, that's kind of harsh, I think.  To label someone a fraud.  A community member who's been here for over 6 years and has contributed a lot of time and effort into the community.  To be labeled a fraud.  Yeah, that does still irk me quite a bit.  Ook Ook!

When I asked whether multiple points of view on drug legalization could be valid, you replied "nope", called my public health expert friend "misinformed", refused to explain, and then when asked how you felt qualified to challenge her credentials, refused to so much as state WHAT degree you have. This, along with your very trolly behavior, led me to state that I doubted whether you were what you said you were. And I did doubt it. I do not apologize for doubting it. When you told Kai and Kai said that you were legitimate, I publicly conceded. I do not apologize, because I don't think I did a badwrong thing to QUESTION you. I will not apologize for my doubt.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: My Lady is a Cantaloupe on December 20, 2011, 07:33:16 PM
And here we go with the exaggerated nonsense.  Right on cue.  You do this a lot.  I think the point I was making was pretty clear which is that I come here for fun now vs. content.  To anyone who is objective, that means that I'm not coming here anymore to write rants or essays on BIP or treatises on Shrapnel.  My head is not into that anymore, not here.  But, I still like to come and hang out, have fun, be entertained.  

No, but you and Nigel have taken this to mean that I'm coming here to be entertained by the drama and shenanigans.  Nope.  I find that rather dull and boring because it's the same show over and over again.  Same plot, different characters.  

And as I've said I still hang around because of the relationships I've forged.  Yes, I don't have especially great relationships with either you or Nigel but I think there are some pretty self-evident reasons for that.  My personality really doesn't jive with yours.  I doubt we'd hit it off all that well if we ever met IRL.  We just aren't the type of folks who mix.  But, there's nothing wrong with that on either end of that equation.  It takes all kind of course.  

But anyway, I really must protest attaching my name to this quote about Nigels relationships falling apart.  It just isn't the kind of thing I would say, because as I said, it's not something I follow because I don't care.  

So, you find drama boring, and yet you (almost exclusively) start threads and make posts that you yourself admit can ONLY cause drama?

Either I'm missing something here, or you're wrapped up in a skullfuckingly stupendous amount of cognitive dissonance.

Oh, and just for the record...

If you think that questioning your professional credentials in a thread where you're relying on those supposed credentials to establish your authority on a subject is a "personal attack" yet you won't even tell the people taking part in the discussion what those supposed credentials actually are, then you might be better served by a forum that's more your speed.

I suggest www.bloviatingandself-deluded.com   <---- (actual personal attack)
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"