News:

He was a pretty good teacher, but he's also batshit insane and smells like ferret pee.

Main Menu

What does discordia mean to you

Started by Nephew Twiddleton, December 20, 2011, 06:04:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

Its been discussed before but its good to reevaluate from time to time especially if were trying to bring some fresh discussion to the table.

I largely got into it for the jakes. Mostly to entertain myself and random people as well as get them to think more about themselves and their perceptions. Being here has expanded my reasons and i always find discussing it worthwhile when it does come up so lets give this another crack.

What does discordia mean to you?
Were there aspects of it that first appealed to you but no longer do?
Whatnew ideas can we bring to discordia?
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nph. Twid. on December 20, 2011, 06:04:25 PM

It means exactly what it says on the label.  Chaos, with no need for adjectives such as "constructive/destructive", etc.  Why this is so hard for some people to digest is completely beyond me.

Trying to improve society.

I don't think we've fully explored the ramifications of the old ideas, myself.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Nephew Twiddleton

Cool- what do you think some of the ramifications of the old ideas that havent been explored are? And as for imrpoving society do you think that that has to be something that takes care of itself?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nph. Twid. on December 20, 2011, 06:24:26 PM
Cool- what do you think some of the ramifications of the old ideas that havent been explored are? And as for imrpoving society do you think that that has to be something that takes care of itself?

1.  I think we're still hung up on "chaos as a positive force in the world".  Objective evidence has shown that there is more chaos as a negative force, at least at the present time.  I fail to see why we should side with one over the other.  Fuck balance.  Whichever way it's going, give it more of a shove.

2.  Society will kill you if you try to help it.  Fuck society...and have fun doing it.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

LMNO

A constant wake-up call not to conflate the subjective with the objective; to search and identify my biases; to think for myself; to be open to change; to accept absurdity as a main ingredient of the universe.

Pinealism.

What new ideas can we bring to discordia?

Offhand, I'd say, "tactics" and "rationality" -- The former, a look in how to behave and survive in chaos; the latter, a clear way to get rid of the bullshit and lies that clutter your mind and get in the way of TFYS.  On the other hand...

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 20, 2011, 06:10:27 PM
I don't think we've fully explored the ramifications of the old ideas, myself.

This.  Roger, I'd be interested in what you'd like to explore.  I'd be willing to help, if I could.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 20, 2011, 06:31:07 PM

This.  Roger, I'd be interested in what you'd like to explore.  I'd be willing to help, if I could.

I posted a neutered definition above, that doesn't precisely state my case.

I'll submit something more concise a bit later.  I have to go check on a few things.

LMNO

Nephew Twiddleton

Luna

Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Nephew Twiddleton

Thinking about this i can see where you are coming from roger. Imposition of order leads to escalation of disorder. There are both constructive and destructive forms of order and disorder. We had an escalation of destructive order for the past decade and it seems like its not going to change anytime soon. This of course causes economic collapse escalating international tensions and all the really bizarre gop candidates being considered. Not of this is constructive disorder but it is clearly disorder responding.

Nephew Twiddleton

Lmno-  id also like to hear you elaborate on tactics and rationality when you get the chance. Though at the moment they seem to be active and passive sides of the same coin.

LMNO

Quote from: Nph. Twid. on December 20, 2011, 06:59:39 PM
Lmno-  id also like to hear you elaborate on tactics and rationality when you get the chance. Though at the moment they seem to be active and passive sides of the same coin.

For the latter, I started this: http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=31084.msg1129123#msg1129123

Slurrealist

QuoteWhat does discordia mean to you?
Going down with the flow, seeing and feeling the flow, just being, enjoying the things around, and enjoying communication with people without the My point of view is better and right, while you're a loser and will end being a loser for life if you will continue to think that crap bullshit.
QuoteWere there aspects of it that first appealed to you but no longer do?
Ranting.
Practical use.
"You're free, and freedom is beautiful. It will take time to restore chaos...but we will..."

Placid Dingo

What does it mean?

I'm not sure, and after the Occupy protests, I feel like it's better left undefined; in the same way I feel the refusal of a specific definition lends both things a potential for complexity and depth. There's lots of elements though, which I can define; self improvement, projects, mindfucks,,, so on.

Elements that used to appeal and don't; this sounds stupid but I don't remember what parts first attracted me. I guess my feelings about Eris have flipped a lot, as to if she actually matters in Discordia.

What can we bring that's new?

I think what were doing that's exciting right now is building a culture in cyber and meatspace. Right now there's a lot of Internet projects and irl meetups that strengthen existing links, and this should continue to be pushed. The best thing we are building is a consistently adapting opt in community of free radicals, and that to me is a key goal.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

AFK

I think my idea of Discordia is maybe a bit more internalized than others.  I'm not as much into the activist thing as I once was.  On the one hand I think it might be a waste of energy when I can have more impact focusing on my world and my surroundings.  As such, I've tried as much as possible to incorporate Discordian ideas into my work with kids and other folks in the community, without using Discordian jargon and symbology. 

I don't know how successful I've been but I'm going to keep plugging away at it.

But, for me personally, Discordia is something that I've always been in touch with but for which I didn't always have a name.  It's about being at peace with who I am while being very aware of who I am and what makes me, me.  Being armed with myself and telling the rest of the world to fuck off if they don't like it.  And this is what I will hand down to my kids. 

To be happy and content while being very aware.  To be Zen-like Sentinels fighting for the glory of their individuality. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.