News:

If you really want to hurt your parents, and you don't have the nerve to be a homosexual, the least you can do is go into the arts. But do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites, standing for absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college.

Main Menu

Why menstruation?

Started by Kai, December 21, 2011, 09:19:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

A really interesting discussion by PZ Myers.

I especially appreciate that the discussion doesn't include any evolutionary psychology, a field wrought with just so stories. Instead, he draws on comparative biology and physiology to provide some hypotheses for what might seem outwardly to be a selective detriment. I'm not going to try to summarize his excellent summary here, except to say that the most supported hypothesis deals with the production of the thickened endometrial lining, either before or in response to a fertilized zygote, and the adversarial nature of the mother-fetal relationship. It reminds me very much of sexual selection and sexual "arms races" between males and females of the same species.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Juana

It was quite interesting. I don't really have the background to say much more, really, but thanks for the link!

Also, :x now fetuses sound kind of terrifying.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on December 21, 2011, 10:25:15 PM
It was quite interesting. I don't really have the background to say much more, really, but thanks for the link!

They probably sit in there laughing at their host.

I know I did.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Kai

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 21, 2011, 11:46:46 PM

I know I did.

Fetuses certainly sound more like parasites after reading this.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: 'Kai' ZLB, M.S. on December 22, 2011, 12:05:29 AM

I know I did.

Well, strictly speaking, they are.

At least as I interpret "parasite".

Later on, in the teenage years, there is no doubt whatsoever.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I know I did.

EFO punched me until I had bruises, the little bitch. And then, when she was big enough, she would brace her head against one side and her feet against the other side and try to STRAIGHTEN OUT. She was born enraged, wouldn't smile or look at me for months, and doesn't cry tears.

Babies are definitely spiteful and out to kill their host.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 22, 2011, 12:09:47 AM
Quote from: 'Kai' ZLB, M.S. on December 22, 2011, 12:05:29 AM

I know I did.

Well, strictly speaking, they are.

At least as I interpret "parasite".

Later on, in the teenage years, there is no doubt whatsoever.

At least teenagers are funny.

Fetuses are not funny.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Freeky

Quote from: Nigel on December 22, 2011, 12:30:32 AM

I know I did.

EFO punched me until I had bruises, the little bitch. And then, when she was big enough, she would brace her head against one side and her feet against the other side and try to STRAIGHTEN OUT. She was born enraged, wouldn't smile or look at me for months, and doesn't cry tears.

Except for that one time.  You wanted to/did take a picture of it. 

Babies are definitely spiteful and out to kill their host.

Oh my god yes they are and yes they do.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Science me, babby on December 22, 2011, 12:32:37 AM
Quote from: Nigel on December 22, 2011, 12:30:32 AM

I know I did.

Except for that one time.  You wanted to/did take a picture of it. 

YES

She was three, and it was before the era of affordable digital cameras but I took, and still have, a Polaroid of the single tear that rolled down her face in 2001.

Suu

I started reading the article, figuring it was another piece on how there is no biological reason for a woman to have her period and you can stop it with pills yadda yadda.

Now I'm inexplicably horrified of pregnancy.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Juana

I think a fetus being described as an invasive, blood stealing parasite your body has to practice menstrual kung fu for decades for is a good reason to be horrified.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Really, though, it's only horrifying if we accept the adversarial language the article has burdened it with. I mean, I played along with that too, but honestly (as inconvenient as it is) should we be horrified, or feel enmity toward, a highly effective reproductive process which helps our bodies select for healthier offspring? We love to think of ourselves as individuals but we are also members of a species, and as such our purpose is largely to perpetuate the species, which is not necessarily a bad thing (even though we are fairly good at making it a bad thing).

Triple Zero

Quote from: Nigel on December 23, 2011, 01:14:29 AM
Really, though, it's only horrifying if we accept the adversarial language the article has burdened it with. I mean, I played along with that too, but honestly (as inconvenient as it is) should we be horrified, or feel enmity toward, a highly effective reproductive process which helps our bodies select for healthier offspring? We love to think of ourselves as individuals but we are also members of a species, and as such our purpose is largely to perpetuate the species, which is not necessarily a bad thing (even though we are fairly good at making it a bad thing).

Of course I can't speak for women, but you could also say that things that are worthy and rewarding, are often difficult and hard. And what's more rewarding (and hard) than making a new tiny little human?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Triple Zero on December 23, 2011, 04:48:18 PM
Quote from: Nigel on December 23, 2011, 01:14:29 AM

Of course I can't speak for women, but you could also say that things that are worthy and rewarding, are often difficult and hard. And what's more rewarding (and hard) than making a new tiny little human?

Nothing that I've found so far. They're pretty neat, parasitic or not.

Juana

I'm not saying that I, personally, agree with the fetuses-are-invasive-parasites language or that we should feel actually threatened. I'm just saying that the language *of* the article makes sense for Suu's comment.