News:

The characteristic feature of the loser is to bemoan, in general terms, mankind's flaws, biases, contradictions and irrationality-without exploiting them for fun and profit

Main Menu

Chao Te Ching - Print Edition!

Started by Cramulus, December 23, 2011, 04:35:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

BOOK SALE

Purchase Et Cetera Discordia, Chao Te Ching, or any other lulu title with 30% off with coupon code FEBRUARYCART305GBP

This coupon expires on FEB 19th so GET ON IT

LMNO

Feel free to put that on the FB page, as well!

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cramulus on February 16, 2012, 02:38:47 PM
BOOK SALE

Purchase Et Cetera Discordia, Chao Te Ching, or any other lulu title with 30% off with coupon code FEBRUARYCART305GBP

This coupon expires on FEB 19th so GET ON IT

I have infected my gamestore with Discordianism.  Hat wants to sell some hardcopies on consignment.  Is this something we're interested in doing?  If so, let's talk turkey.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

Since it's print on demand, I think the best way to do it is order a bunch of copies, give it to him for consignment, and feel free to pocket whatever sells. 

I'm pretty sure I'm not thinking this all the way through... Cram, do you get a discount by being the publisher, and could we supply books for consignment cheaper than cost?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on February 16, 2012, 04:58:44 PM
Since it's print on demand, I think the best way to do it is order a bunch of copies, give it to him for consignment, and feel free to pocket whatever sells. 

I'm pretty sure I'm not thinking this all the way through... Cram, do you get a discount by being the publisher, and could we supply books for consignment cheaper than cost?

Usually you just break even on consignment sales.  Thing is, if people BUY it, they'll READ it.  If they download it for free, it goes in the stack and is never seen again.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

LMNO

Basically, the way I feel about it is if you pay Lulu for the books to be made and delivered to you, then you can keep whatever sells in the bookshop.  I mean, we could make a convoluted deal where I buy the books, have them shipped to you, and then you send me a check when they sell, but that sounds needlessly complicated.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on February 16, 2012, 05:19:48 PM
Basically, the way I feel about it is if you pay Lulu for the books to be made and delivered to you, then you can keep whatever sells in the bookshop.  I mean, we could make a convoluted deal where I buy the books, have them shipped to you, and then you send me a check when they sell, but that sounds needlessly complicated.

Also, I'm debating the idea of making a bound volume of the existing works.

Cramulus

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on February 16, 2012, 04:58:44 PM

yeah, as the authors, we can order books at-cost. (well... kinda. Lulu makes a buck whether or not we do) If we wanted to sell 'em in bulk, we'd add Roger's address to one of our lulu profiles as if it's one of ours. Then we can buy as many copies as we'd like and they'll be shipped to Roger.

LMNO

Well Roger, it's up to you.  You can either send us money to buy the books and ship them to you at a cheaper price, or you can buy them yourself and keep the cash.

If Cram's ok with the deal, of course.

Cramulus

The Good Reverend Roger

Actually, if there's a Lulu account available, I may see if Hat can order directly...Or order from you guys.

The minimum gross margin on something like this should be about .4 over the cost of publishing.  Split that margin with hat 50/50 (with him buying them up front), and I think he'd fall all over himself to get involved in this.

I'll talk with him.

Incidentally, gross margin is calculated as

cost of publishing/1-gross margin.

So if the book cost you $10 to print, the margin would be 10/1-.4 for $16.66, meaning you and he would each get $3.33/book.

Shipping should be considered part of the cost of publishing, since there is no distributor network.

LMNO

Truth be told, in my mind if he bought straight from Lulu, he can charge whatever he thinks he can get off 'em.  They're 8.95 from the site, but shipping (and Lulu's cut) can be kinda stupid.

Incidentally, the url for the book is http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/the-chao-te-ching/18759432

LHX

neat hell

LMNO

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Mine arrived today!

No more than 5 minutes after getting the packaging removed an interested party picked it up and read the cover and intro.

I retrieved it from the heathen and absconded, letting him know he could borrow it later.

I got all the way to chapter 18 before I was finished damaging the toilet.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A