News:

I hate both of you because your conversation is both navel-gazing and puerile

Main Menu

Ed Yong's Top 12 of 2011.

Started by Kai, December 24, 2011, 08:00:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

Ed Yong is by far one of the best science journalists out there. He regularly produces world class explanations of breaking science news on his blog, Not Exactly Rocket Science.

Here are his picks for the best 'longreads' of science journalism for this past year.
They include the story of the whiskey feeding fungus I already posted here, an investigation of brain conjoined twins who feel each other's senses, a look into the alien mind of octopuses (I also posted this), and the excellent Carl Zimmer on the gut endosymbiont ecosystem as a 'human lake'. I recommend them all.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Kai

Bonus: a piece about radioactive 'cobwebs' from Savannah River National Laboratory. I did the research assistantship associated with my master's degree there; not with the radioactive materials, but with the immense aquatic insect diversity upstream of the cleanup activities. The place is a goldmine for biological research. 430 square miles of some of the best managed southern pine forest in the country; the insect biodiversity is stunning.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Kai

Another bonus: His top 30 favorite stories from 2011. http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/notrocketscience/2011/12/30/not-exactly-rocket-science-favourites-from-2011/

But why do I keep posting this here? If you aren't following Ed Yong, WAYSA? You want stories on weird science? The man spits them out for a living. Srsly.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

OH GOD DON'T CLICK NIGEL YOU HAVE SOMEWHERE TO BE IN THREE HOURS NO DON'T DO IT NOOOOOOOO.....
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Kai

Quote from: Nigel on December 31, 2011, 03:15:52 AM
OH GOD DON'T CLICK NIGEL YOU HAVE SOMEWHERE TO BE IN THREE HOURS NO DON'T DO IT NOOOOOOOO.....

:lulz:

Cuddlefish

Quote from: Nigel on December 31, 2011, 03:15:52 AM

That's what's happening to me now.

These are my favorite things ever, now. Do an image search, there's so many different kinds, it's mind-blowing. Some of the little ones are even kinda cute for a bug.

Edit: This one's really interesting, as well.
A fisher of men, or a manner of fish?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The creepiest of the bug hats, to me, are the ones that look like large ants with pincers, or wasps. By what mechanism a benign insect develops a physical structure that mimics a dangerous one is beyond me.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."