News:

PD.com: our ability to recall your stupidity makes elephants look like Alzheimer's patients.

Main Menu

Anon hacks US "Think Tank" Stratfor

Started by Telarus, December 26, 2011, 03:25:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telarus

Via +Barry King, who says,

"Wow. I used to read Stratfor's free emails, several years ago. The possibilities that Anonymous has with their info are mind boggling.

For those unaware, Stratfor is an independent intelligence outfit, selling info to whomever can pay. The summaries that I used to get for free read like sections of the Economist or the CIA World Fact Book, except that there was just that much more info: major factions, what's at stake, what moves people are making strategically and in which directions.

They used to advertise private intelligence gathering, too, in addition to selling higher detail versions of the free info I was getting..."

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/11/12/25/1438243/anonymous-hacks-us-think-tank-stratfor?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Slashdot%2Fslashdot+%28Slashdot%29

Frankie70 writes "At 11:45 PST on Christmas Eve, hacking collective Anonymous disclosed that not only has it hacked the Stratfor website (since confirmed by Friedman himself), but has also obtained the full client list of over 4000 individuals and corporations, including their credit cards (which supposedly have been used to make $1 million in 'donations'), as well as over 200 GB of email correspondence."
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

The Good Reverend Roger

:lulz:

Expect new definitions of "terrorism" soon.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Juana

"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Cain

Stratfor are disputing some of the claims of Anonymous.  In particular, they claim their client list, beyond those who retain their email subscription service, was not compromised.

Stratfor, as far as private intelligence services go, are actually fairly straight-shooters.  Same for the Eurasia Group.  It's the more mercenary-linked ones who tend to go beyond information gathering and analysis, who spread disinformation for paying parties, who engage in covert actions etc