News:

There's only a handful of you, and you're acting like obsessed lunatics.

I honestly wouldn't want to ever be washed up on the shore unconscious on an island run by you lot.

Main Menu

On space, reach, and threatened squares.

Started by Freeky, December 28, 2011, 08:00:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freeky

So I'm sitting here trying to do up a dungeon, and I think to myself, "I don't remember looking at a fast and hard rule for space, reach, and threatened squares."

I go looking through the Core Rulebook, and also GameMastery Guide, and even the Bestiary, but I don't find anything related, other than reach weapons.

I find this:

www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat/space-reach-threatened-area-templates

Which doesn't line up with what we've been doing (1x1 is medium, 1x2 or 2x1 is large, 2x2 is huge, etc.) 

And then I'm like (regarding the way we do it at home), Wait, If 15 feet = 10x10 box, how does that even work? 

I am confused, and would like to not be.

Also, Medium and Large as per how we do it works in my head just fine, it's the Huge creatures that stump me.

Freeky

The image itself is confusing, too, now I think about it.  What's the difference between reach and threatened area?

None, I always figured.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Diagonals count an extra 5 for every two. So the first diagonal is 5', the second is 15'.*

The difference between reach and threatened squares are mechanical. A creature always has a reach, but threatened areas only exist during a fight. The threatened area is defined by the reach of the creature (+weapon if applicable).

* ETA just realized I gave you the D&D answer, it may not be correct for Pathfinder.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Freeky

Quote from: Bebek Sincap Ratatosk on December 28, 2011, 08:10:51 PM
Diagonals count an extra 5 for every two. So the first diagonal is 5', the second is 15'.*

The difference between reach and threatened squares are mechanical. A creature always has a reach, but threatened areas only exist during a fight. The threatened area is defined by the reach of the creature (+weapon if applicable).

* ETA just realized I gave you the D&D answer, it may not be correct for Pathfinder.

So Huge = 3x3, not 2x2?

And yes, the diagonal rule is the same.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Science me, babby on December 28, 2011, 08:15:57 PM

So Huge = 3x3, not 2x2?

Yes, and didn't they make all large creatures 2x2, getting rid of the 1x2 abominations?

Freeky

Quote from: Pope Pastor Wolf-Something-Or-Other on December 28, 2011, 10:51:51 PM
Quote from: Science me, babby on December 28, 2011, 08:15:57 PM

So Huge = 3x3, not 2x2?

Yes, and didn't they make all large creatures 2x2, getting rid of the 1x2 abominations?

No idea.  It makes sense for there to be some though, because some 10 ft creatures have a 5 ft reach, like Large snakes and so on.

ETA:  Oh. And, you know, your face is an abomination. 

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Yeah, 1x1, 2x2, 3x3 etc for most creatures. For large long creatures instead of large tall, it depends on interpretation of the DM. In my experience, most DM's give the large snake a 2x2 footprint but threaten only adjacent squares. Though, of course if you wanted to give it  1x2 footprint you could. I guess it depends on what you have for figs and what you want to do as DM  :D

I used a lot of snakes in a Wild West Call of Cthulhu d20 game. I made the snakes out of sculpy clay and then had them sized to fit in either a 1x1 or a 1x2 or a 2x2 depending on the snake... mostly I kept varying the sizes to contribute to the mood. The snake pit was a riot to watch them work through

They shouldn't have pissed off Yig.  :D

Freeky

Quote from: Bebek Sincap Ratatosk on December 29, 2011, 10:52:41 AM
Yeah, 1x1, 2x2, 3x3 etc for most creatures. For large long creatures instead of large tall, it depends on interpretation of the DM. In my experience, most DM's give the large snake a 2x2 footprint but threaten only adjacent squares. Though, of course if you wanted to give it  1x2 footprint you could. I guess it depends on what you have for figs and what you want to do as DM  :D

I used a lot of snakes in a Wild West Call of Cthulhu d20 game. I made the snakes out of sculpy clay and then had them sized to fit in either a 1x1 or a 1x2 or a 2x2 depending on the snake... mostly I kept varying the sizes to contribute to the mood. The snake pit was a riot to watch them work through

Yeah, snakes and nagas are the creatures for which a 1x2 footprint makes more sense than a 2x2, although I'm sure there are more.

How do you handle horses?  They are large long and only have a 5 ft reach.  Do you use a 1x2 or 2x2 for them?

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Science me, babby on December 29, 2011, 08:14:12 PM
Quote from: Bebek Sincap Ratatosk on December 29, 2011, 10:52:41 AM

Yeah, snakes and nagas are the creatures for which a 1x2 footprint makes more sense than a 2x2, although I'm sure there are more.

How do you handle horses?  They are large long and only have a 5 ft reach.  Do you use a 1x2 or 2x2 for them?

Usually 2x2 because we use the old D&D minis for our figs most of the time. (The horse today will be played by the Dire Wolf)