News:

If they treat education like a product, they can't very well bitch when you act like a consumer.

Main Menu

NDE, Security Assessment, and "Lock sport"

Started by Richter, December 29, 2011, 11:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richter

SO the last few weeks I've been completely geeking out over the variant euphemistic approaches to picking locks.

It's an idea I've always been into, I've read the MIT guide to lockpicking, and didn't use the knowledge for much.  I got into it more when ordering xmas gifts, and realized a set of picks would be ideal for a buddy with a liking for covert devices and Tom Clancy novels.  Might as well grab myself a set too...  One hour on youtube provided the basics, and I was off.

Am I out to break and enter?  No.  I do not want to steal anything.  In reality picking is only useful in a few specific cases too, and is not an instant pass into everything. 
Am I out to be MR. Hero every time someone looses a key?  Nope.  Silly, and way too easy to fuck up a lock you aren't familiar with.  I will be MR. Hero with a AAA card to call unlocking service instead.
Am I out to carry picks everywhere and unlock everything?  Fuck no, it could be my ass.  Laws vary, and they're unusual items for anyone to have as every day carry stuff regardless. 

So why?  It's fun.  Locks are great puzzles, made to restrict human access. IRL hacking, basically  Certainly a rouge - esque thrill to it as well.  There's also the practical benefit of learning about and assessing security for your own sake.   Like any esoteric hobby, it's fun to discuss, teach, and practice with folks over drinks or food. 
Does anyone else here have similar interest?
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Nephew Twiddleton

Ive flirted with the idea of picking locks too. Mainly because it would seem like a neat trick to amuse people with. Havent looked much into it yet more just something for me to try my hand at if i was in the mood to. I am considering picking up some unusual hobby in the next few months mainly to start having fun again.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Don Coyote

I've been thinking about learning to pick locks too.

Pæs

I'm interested in lockpicking for the same reasons as detailed in the OP. My knowledge of the subjects extends only a little beyond the MIT guide.
It's something I've been meaning to learn more about for a long time, though.

It's great fun to work through some complex security mechanism/system (physical or electronic) and search for an exploit. Kind of a power trip, almost. A big "fuck you" to the suggestion that you're not allowed through a particular door.

Richter

As party tricks go, it is fun.  Pop a padlock or two, and start showing the basics to anyone interested.

IRL opening; knowing HOW never hurts. A situation where you need or have to seems like a rare one. (Good way to get charged with breaking and entering plus a class 2 misdemeanor for possession of burglar tools)   

ANYWAYS.

A lot of good info, including how to make tools yourself for CHEAP or FREE is here:

hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVSL0liiWoc&list=PL66CD42F86F3A1F85&feature=plcp&context=C3fe2799FDOEgsToPDskJ7s1Zk4k9b6spXr4q6Y2xS

There are some key points left out.  Such as where to get tools, and where to get locks.  (If I have to tell you how to find a lock, you fail.  Try buying a padlock or a spare deadbolt.)

Tool sources abound.  Weird tactical catalogs sell dizzying arrays.  I got a set from T.O.O.O.L. which has handled every basic lock I've tried (google them.)
Lockpicking 101 is another group, and Open! Locksport, who did the videos above.
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Pæs

Because of this thread I am printing out lockpick template now and checking the shed for suitable metal.
We have a pretty serious workshop here, so I'm going to make some awesome picks. Thanks for the inspiration, Richter!

Combining this with the course I'm about to start in special effects make-up and latex mask making, I feel like this could lead to no good.

Richter

I'm working on a few of my own.

I've got a few street sweeper bristles, and a few picks from hacksaw blades, made a few years back.  I'm seeking better metal, since the picks I made are bending when used with any pressure.

Trial and error, but with a torch it's easy enough to harden any medium good steel, and temper it back from being brittle.

Pæs

First experiment. Just made these now to test out the hacksaw blades.

Richter

The rake looks good!  The hooks might need thinner handles, but otherwise the proportions and upward sweep look very functional.  No way to tell but play with them!  I also like how each tool is a rake/hook combo.  Those are two I switch off with most frequently on the simple locks I've been playing with.

If you know heat treating, ignore this:
I can't say for certain from the pictures, but you have have ground a bit aggressive.  Any place the metal heats up enough to turn blue, it will be weakened.  You can avoid this by grinding slow, and quenching in water every few seconds of grinding  (Yes they heat up that fast on thin parts)  HAnd files avoid this entirely, but it takes a real dedicated pervert to sit there and work the last bits by hand.

The other option is to re-heat them to cherry red, quench to harden, and then slowly re-heat them to the temp just before they turn blue.  (or oven 20 minutes @ around 350 F)  You can play with the specifics to get a degree of spring vs. stiff that you like. 

My own next project is homemade, spool, mushroom, and serrated pins.

Pæs

They are really rough but they're proving to be strong enough. Quenched 'em every couple of seconds.
I've got a bunch of blades to work with, so I wasn't being too fussy about the first pair.

I made the hooks to fit a specific lock, which they're okay for, but you're right about them needing thinner handles for general use.

Got any suggestions for other shapes to make? I've got some limited templates.

Richter

Cool, the pic looked like there were a few burned spots.  Only one way to find out if they're sound or not though!  (Bear in mind; failure often results in a very jammed lock.)

The basic shapes you're working with are fine, it's just a matter of refining them for what you're working with.  One cheap tumbler that I mess with is too thin to get the standard tools in without finagling.  The thinner, more bendy "euro style" tools work in fine though.

Half diamonds are pretty useful too.

I'm also envisioning this monster old padlock that could fit in tools like that.

Cainad (dec.)

I've had an interest in it for a while, but never have been able to properly pursue it. My best friend actually knows how to do it, but I've never gotten more than a cursory lesson.

Richter

Let's run through it  the next meatup then!  I'm just not bringing any of the stuff to CT.  The ways the laws are, possession is a misdemeanor, at least. 

You and your delightful cadre of engineers, geologists, and morticians are always welcome in Providence.

Cainad (dec.)

Sweet! And I did not know that about CT law; good to know before I make a stupid. :lulz:

Richter

Yeah.  MA, RI and most other states don't care, or only consider them a problem if they can establish "intent" to use them as tools to commit burglary.  Basically, don't try to open anything that isn't yours, flash them around in the street, or carry a set in you pocket.

Check it out yourself, (info on lockpicking101 IIRC), but in CT possession or manufacture IS intent.