News:

Endorsement: "I could go so far as to say they simply use Discordianism as a mechanism for causing havoc, and an excuse for mischief."

Main Menu

New Year's Resolutions Are Stupid.

Started by navkat, January 01, 2012, 10:55:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

navkat

I don't do em. Anything worth being resolute is worth the same resolve, regardless of date and regardless of date, you should resolve to achieve that which is worthy.

If one wants to achieve self-actualization, one must realize that we create our own tipping-off points in life, not the other way 'round and that in truth, such points only increase the possibility for delay and discouragement if progress isn't on-par with the prescription.

This isn't about goal checkpoints, this is about not having to wait for a birthday or other holiday or even a whole other year to do that for which you set out.

If one wants to say, read more classics or stop sucking so much dick, one should simply assess one's needs to make achievement most probable, acquire the tools for the job and make a gameplan...such as buying a Kindle and assigning time to read or buying straws and a blender, then making an appointment with your dentist to have your jaw wired shut.

Kudos to you if you can find ways to derive pleasure from the actions necessary to acquire the new habit--I personally plan to take a little "me time" to meditate over new smoothie flavours to the comforting hum of the blender...makes for a more rewarding success, in my opine.

In the long run, you will have a far greater level of respect for your own willpower and level of enlightenment if you are able to cease talk and simply achieve.

Happy twenty-twelve, spaggots!
<3

Kai

I don't like new year's resolutions either. They sound too much like the smoker who says he's going to quit tomorrow, just after this last pack of cigarettes. Why not just quit now? "Well, I just bought this pack, might as well not let it go to waste". If you can't change now, chances are a new year (i.e. tomorrow) isn't going to make a difference.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I don't really make resolutions per se, but I do have hopes and plans for the upcoming year, which functionally speaking is pretty much the same thing I think.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cuddlefish

I've only been able to keep one new years resolution: never to make any more new tears resolutions.
A fisher of men, or a manner of fish?

LMNO

While in general you make a good point, check out Woody Guthrie's "New Years Rulin's"

http://www.woodyguthrie.org/newyearsrulins.htm

I thought we would all enjoy #33.

Cramulus

I don't usually make New Years resolutions because I don't have any goals I can accomplish in January.

I do appreciate the moment at the end of the  year where everybody turns backwards and examines what they've been through, and then they turn forward and think about what's to come and how to prepare for it.

But if I make a resolution, it's always something really simple and easy to accomplish like "Beat Mega Man 2"

This year, my resolution is to cook something complicated. Just once will do.

Phox

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on January 03, 2012, 02:11:36 PM
While in general you make a good point, check out Woody Guthrie's "New Years Rulin's"

http://www.woodyguthrie.org/newyearsrulins.htm

I thought we would all enjoy #33.
I'm fond of #3, myself. In fact, that's going to be mine.

Cain

I don't make New Years resolutions, I just make resolutions.

That said, my new job limits me to such a degree that the only time I could make arrangements for many of the things I wish to do was over the Xmas holidays, and so those things (gym membership, buying Indestructible Perfectly White Teeth, arranging summer holidays etc) are things I'm naturally starting to implement now.

AFK

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Sita

My New Year resolution is to fail any resolutions I make.
I'll win either way.
:ninja:
Laugh, even if you are screaming inside. Smile, because the world doesn't care if you feel like crying.

The Good Reverend Roger

My new year's resolution is to run through the woods of Oregon wearing nothing but my underwear on inside out, and get out the other side unscathed.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

navkat

Three thoughts:

1. Yes, it is a little depraved to run to Walgreen's in the middle of the night and walk out with Astroglide, Benzedrine, saline mist and a bottle of wine that costs less than $5.

2. No, six Junior Mints are not a meal.

3. No, the addition of a sample-pak of Kleenex and a box of Junior Mints to your basket will not convince the clerk that the Benzedrine and saline are for your cold and not to better facilitate insufflation as a route of administration.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 09, 2012, 05:24:21 PM
My new year's resolution is to run through the woods of Oregon wearing nothing but my underwear on inside out, and get out the other side unscathed.

Since Bigfoot will assume you are one of their own, this should be doable.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."