News:

PD.com: We have 73 Virgins!

Main Menu

Loop Geography as Defensive Tactic

Started by Triple Zero, January 03, 2012, 01:11:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

Loop Geography as Defensive Tactic

"[J]ust outside Washington," authors Dana Priest and William Arkin explain, in the exurbs of depopulated office parks and "huge buildings with row after row of opaque, blast-resistant windows," there can be found what the authors describe as "the capital of an alternative geography of the United States, one defined by the concentration of top-secret government organizations and the companies that do work for them."

One such complex, called Fort Meade, "is the largest of a dozen such clusters across the United States."

And it is cleverly camouflaged:
The existence of these clusters is so little known that most people don't realize when they're nearing the epicenter of Fort Meade's, even when the GPS on their car dashboard suddenly begins giving incorrect directions, trapping the driver in a series of U-turns, because the government is jamming all nearby signals. (more)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Pæs

That's sneaky. It's kind of frightening to think that even outside of the map/territory metaphor, we may be relying on maps which are intentionally misrepresenting the territory.

Does the jammer specifically instruct the GPS to get stuck in a U-turn loop or is that the default behaviour when the signal is jammed?

Triple Zero

No idea, this article is all I've got. Though I believe I did hear about it before, somewhere.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Don Coyote

That is cool, and a little frightening.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on January 03, 2012, 05:28:23 AM
Quote from: Pope Pastor Wolf-Something-Or-Other on January 03, 2012, 04:59:08 AM

Yes, also frightening!

And hilarious, as visiting dignitaries endlessly circle in their limos until they starve.   :lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Don Coyote

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 03, 2012, 04:27:19 PM
Quote from: Nigel on January 03, 2012, 05:28:23 AM
Quote from: Pope Pastor Wolf-Something-Or-Other on January 03, 2012, 04:59:08 AM

Yes, also frightening!

And hilarious, as visiting dignitaries endlessly circle in their limos until they starve.   :lulz:

:lulz:

"Visiting Dignitaries from the EU died due to TomTom related injuries"