Toy store take down of gender stereotypes by 4 year old girl.

Started by Kai, January 03, 2012, 03:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

I'm not sure if this has been posted yet, and many of you have probably seen it, but this toy isle rant warms my heart. Riley, at the age of four, already understands the manipulation involved in gender marketing of goods, and thinks it's stupid.

But of course when any female comes out and complains about gender stereotypes you know there is going to be mansplaining. Which includes a takedown of said mansplaining. My favorite part is where he tries to use circular reasoning to explain why girls like pink things (because they buy pink things, apparently).

And another by Rebecca Watson, who if you don't recall, was one of Dawkins' target of ire after Elevatorgate and the birth of the Dawkins Fallacy.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Dude, when that kid is writing columns I'm going to totally follow her work.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Skeptixx really disappointed me on a number of levels. The main one was the circular reasoning. Still reading, probably more thoughts to come.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

THIS

QuoteBut what about pink toys for girls? It's an interesting question, and there are several answers. One obvious reason is that dolls are by far the most popular toys for girls. What color are most dolls? Pink, or roughly Caucasian skin-toned. There are, of course, dolls of varying skin tones and ethnicities. But since most girls play with dolls, and most dolls are pink (a green- or blue-skinned doll would look creepy), it makes perfect sense that most girls' toys are pink.

...is making me want to punch people in the face, because the pinkish skin tone of Caucasian babies has nothing to do with the boxes, clothing, and accessories being pink.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

OHHHHHHHH I got to the end and realized that the founder of Skeptixx is rebutting that argument THANK FUCK REDEEMED. Sigh of relief. I was full of haterage.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Also. HELLO 1981! Lets bring back some of that good old-fashioned unisex marketing:

Love that image. So fucking cute!

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Quote from: Nigel on January 03, 2012, 04:07:15 AM
THIS

QuoteBut what about pink toys for girls? It's an interesting question, and there are several answers. One obvious reason is that dolls are by far the most popular toys for girls. What color are most dolls? Pink, or roughly Caucasian skin-toned. There are, of course, dolls of varying skin tones and ethnicities. But since most girls play with dolls, and most dolls are pink (a green- or blue-skinned doll would look creepy), it makes perfect sense that most girls' toys are pink.

...is making me want to punch people in the face, because the pinkish skin tone of Caucasian babies has nothing to do with the boxes, clothing, and accessories being pink.

Yeah, I found that point particularly retarded, especially when the kid in the video is standing in front of a whole fuckton of pink boxes of pink dolls wearing pink dresses. O.o That Ben fellow ain't too savvy.

I don't think Riley is particularly super for her age. I do think it is interesting that the obvious disparity in toys and implied gender roles is so blatant and obnoxiously outdated that even a four-year-old notices and is annoyed by it.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

HOT FUCK

I loved Rebecca Watson's takedown

WELL DONE, LADY!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on January 03, 2012, 04:16:19 AM
THIS

Yeah, I found that point particularly retarded, especially when the kid in the video is standing in front of a whole fuckton of pink boxes of pink dolls wearing pink dresses. O.o That Ben fellow ain't too savvy.

I don't think Riley is particularly super for her age. I do think it is interesting that the obvious disparity in toys and implied gender roles is so blatant and obnoxiously outdated that even a four-year-old notices and is annoyed by it.

I  have known a fuckton of four-year-olds, and what makes Riley different isn't that she's noticed how annoying it is, but that her parents haven't explained it away, told her it's "right", or quashed her dissent, AND that they are obviously very proud and encouraging of her critical thoughts. It literally brings a tear to my eye.

Pæs

Quote from: Nigel on January 03, 2012, 04:21:22 AM
HOT FUCK

I loved Rebecca Watson's takedown

WELL DONE, LADY!
Yeah, this.

I picked up about half of the stupid in Ben's argument, then read Rebecca's going "WAIT, HE ACTUALLY SAID THAT TOO, DIDN'T HE? GREAT SCOTT."  :eek:

navkat

I posted the link on my fb a week or so ago with my own rant.

Basically, we're being coralled from the moment we're born into $6,000 wedding dresses and eventually, Target's baby registry. It was true in the 1950s, it's true now.

Kai

Oh hey, guess what? Ben responds to Rebecca, with more of the same. Read the comments if you're looking for a reason to grit your teeth. Also, notice the "Watson/Myers cult" comment; what does that sound similar to? Oh right, MIND CONTROL LAZERS. And while I will say that I often disagree with PZ Myers, he and the rest of the Skepchick community (including Watson, Bug Girl and others) are always right on the ball about gender issues and the typical, ordinary sort of misogyny which continues in our society. I have and continue to use them as a barometer for this stuff.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: 'Kai' ZLB, M.S. on January 03, 2012, 07:17:51 PM
Oh hey, guess what? Ben responds to Rebecca, with more of the same. Read the comments if you're looking for a reason to grit your teeth. Also, notice the "Watson/Myers cult" comment; what does that sound similar to? Oh right, MIND CONTROL LAZERS. And while I will say that I often disagree with PZ Myers, he and the rest of the Skepchick community (including Watson, Bug Girl and others) are always right on the ball about gender issues and the typical, ordinary sort of misogyny which continues in our society. I have and continue to use them as a barometer for this stuff.

OH MY GOD THAT GUY IS AN IDIOT. He seems somehow incapable of actually recognizing an actual point, let alone rebutting one.

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Quote from: Nigel on January 03, 2012, 04:24:06 AM
Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on January 03, 2012, 04:16:19 AM
THIS

I  have known a fuckton of four-year-olds, and what makes Riley different isn't that she's noticed how annoying it is, but that her parents haven't explained it away, told her it's "right", or quashed her dissent, AND that they are obviously very proud and encouraging of her critical thoughts. It literally brings a tear to my eye.

Yes. Her parents are not idiots. This I can get behind. :D
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Suu

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."