News:

Doing everything exactly opposite from "The Mainstream" is the same thing as doing everything exactly like "The Mainstream."  You're still using What Everyone Else is Doing as your primary point of reference.

Main Menu

Nigel's Shiny New Life Thread

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, January 03, 2012, 10:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on February 01, 2012, 04:58:25 AM
For the record, death by untreated cancer fucking sucks.

However, apparently the side effects of cancer treatment is worse, after a point.

Yeah... I have seen both. I don't know about the effects of cancer treatment being worse, to tell the truth. Maybe it depends on what kind of cancer.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

BB, that chart is based on data from 2000. My numbers are from 2009. Do you have anything more current?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

BadBeast

Trends in cancer deaths in the UK
Overall, mortality rates from cancer are decreasing despite a small increase in incidence rates. In the UK, the European age-standardised mortality rates for all malignant neoplasms decreased by a fifth from 218 to 175 per 100,000 population between 1978-1980 and 2007-2009.6

Figure 1.1 shows the incidence and mortality rate trend for all cancers combined for Great Britain for 1975-2009 (2008 for incidence).

Figure 1.1: All Malignant Neoplasms, Excluding Non-Melanoma Skin Cancer (C00-C97 excl. C44), European Age-Standardised Incidence and All Malignant Neoplasms (C00-C97), European Age-Standardised Mortality Rates, Great Britain, 1975-2009
http://info.cancerresearchuk.org/cancerstats/mortality/all-cancers-combined/

US currently on 180.7 per 100,000
Some discussion from health care advocates to say theyre cooking the books to achieve that down turn...it's steep...way to steep to be accounted for in treatment advances....Supposition that the sudden downturn in reported drops from cancer deaths in the US is that once they stop being treated for it they don't get counted as dying from it. Death can be put down to untreated secondary infections...lung, staph etc.which is commonplace, UK stats reflect reality more as everyone with cancer is being treated for it under NHS...so all deaths there are attributed to it....checking for info on that.

The us rate is declining far less slowly in the southern states....and in all states it is declining much faster among wealthy whites than  poor blacks...big surprise. This dichotomy is esp strong in breast cancer
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Scribbly

I'm afraid this is going to be entirely anecdotal for now because I can't seem to find any backing links on a quick google search but.

The area I live in is known as a 'cancer hotspot'. We have something like six or seven times the average rate of cancer for most types in the area. We're a relatively small village, but I know six people in the past three years who have had some sort of cancer, and when I was growing up some of my friend's parents died of it. My first girlfriend had a brain tumor (though thankfully that was treated successfully).

The major employer in my village is G.E Healthcare. About twenty years ago they were openly running radiation treatment experiments at the facilities just up the road from here.

Since then the experiments have been officially stopped, though the facility is still heavily guarded and locked up. Rumors around the village say that they've continued their work in those areas, and that is one of the reasons why this place has such a high cancer rate. I don't know if there's any truth to that, but I would imagine that the fact there were experiments with nuclear materials going on would be a bit too much of a coincidence to be entirely unrelated to the high levels of cancer in an otherwise small country village. I suspect that there's similar situations up and down the country.
I had an existential crisis and all I got was this stupid gender.

Cain

Quote from: Nigel on February 01, 2012, 05:32:55 AM
Quote from: BadBeast on February 01, 2012, 04:44:34 AM
321.9 deaths per 100,000 people
US death rates.

253.5 deaths per 100,000 people
UK death rates.
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/hea_dea_fro_can-health-death-from-cancer

WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU FUCKERS DOING THAT GIVES YOU SO MUCH CANCER???

Nothing I can think of.  Anyway, I'm going to a local sushi bar with my Russian buddies, so catch you all later.

hirley0

http://www.wolframalpha.com/

6 OC reboot2.5 = FF.fix

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I always forget about wolfram alpha.

Triple Zero

I used it recently to make that anim of where the grunting hobos would crash.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: BadBeast on February 01, 2012, 08:56:24 AM
Trends in cancer deaths in the UK
Overall, mortality rates from cancer are decreasing despite a small increase in incidence rates. In the UK, the European age-standardised mortality rates for all malignant neoplasms decreased by a fifth from 218 to 175 per 100,000 population between 1978-1980 and 2007-2009.6

Figure 1.1 shows the incidence and mortality rate trend for all cancers combined for Great Britain for 1975-2009 (2008 for incidence).

Figure 1.1: All Malignant Neoplasms, Excluding Non-Melanoma Skin Cancer (C00-C97 excl. C44), European Age-Standardised Incidence and All Malignant Neoplasms (C00-C97), European Age-Standardised Mortality Rates, Great Britain, 1975-2009

US currently on 180.7 per 100,000
Some discussion from health care advocates to say theyre cooking the books to achieve that down turn...it's steep...way to steep to be accounted for in treatment advances....Supposition that the sudden downturn in reported drops from cancer deaths in the US is that once they stop being treated for it they don't get counted as dying from it. Death can be put down to untreated secondary infections...lung, staph etc.which is commonplace, UK stats reflect reality more as everyone with cancer is being treated for it under NHS...so all deaths there are attributed to it....checking for info on that.

The us rate is declining far less slowly in the southern states....and in all states it is declining much faster among wealthy whites than  poor blacks...big surprise. This dichotomy is esp strong in breast cancer

That source compiled and averaged data that goes back 35 years, so it's not a very accurate picture of the current state of cancer mortality.

Every source I've seen for 2009-2010 shows a significantly higher mortality rate per 100k in the UK than in the US, which is exactly the opposite of what I would expect given the relative inaccessibility of health care here.

http://www.cancer.gov/newscenter/pressreleases/2011/ReportNation2011Release

Mortality here is indeed higher for the poor and those without access to health insurance:
http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/news/News/annualreport-u.s-cancer-death-rates-decline-but-disparities-remain

Anyway, I think we can all agree that "hardly anyone dies from cancer anymore" is pretty far from the reality, whether you're talking about the US or the UK.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I stressed out so hard over my math exam this morning. Turned out I was, as usual, overdoing it.  :lol:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Tonight I found out, quite incidentally, that E.O.T. for some reason thinks I'm a classy lady.

Freeky

Quote from: Nigel on February 07, 2012, 06:30:14 AM
Tonight I found out, quite incidentally, that E.O.T. for some reason thinks I'm a classy lady.

Well, sure.  It comes with the territory of Empress, Dark or not.

What I'm saying is, youre classy without even trying or knowing that you're doing it.

Because you're Dark Empress.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Freeky of SCIENCE! on February 07, 2012, 06:31:51 AM
Quote from: Nigel on February 07, 2012, 06:30:14 AM

Well, sure.  It comes with the territory of Empress, Dark or not.

What I'm saying is, youre classy without even trying or knowing that you're doing it.

Because you're Dark Empress.

Aw!  :oops:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I just went to my first meeting for this program that sets up PCC students with summer research internships at PSU, and it looks like there's a possibility that I might actually be able to do an internship this summer, but that's not as exciting as the fact that this whole program is streamlined (way more than I realized) into PSU's science department, and I can now earn credits for going to free science lectures, and when I transfer to PSU I will basically be plonked right into an NIH-sponsored program there. So now I am taking some different classes next term from what I had originally intended, and also I have much more direction and access to way more resources than I had imagined I would in my first year. There is a whole support system of instructors and mentors and coordinators and classes to get me where I need to be with the highest immersion rate possible. If all goes as planned this means that I will do my internship next summer and start PSU next fall.

SQUEEEEEEEEE

Basically I am totally thrilled to death right now.

Thanks, NIH!