News:

It's funny how the position for boot-licking is so close to the one used for curb-stomping.

Main Menu

Occupy Cork Claims Property

Started by Faust, January 03, 2012, 11:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faust

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0103/occupy.html

Last night the cork occupy crowd took a 6 story vacant property. Here's why they haven't been immediately kicked out;

• The mortgage on the building is now owned by Nama, the property black hole
  • The developer who cannot afford to repay it is unable to get the support to kick them out
  • The building has stood unused for close to two years and
  • It's actually going to be used for something useful
Everyone in Ireland hates the property developers so I could see a lot more of this happening very soon.
What would happen if this was attempted elsewhere such as the UK or US?
Sleepless nights at the chateau

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Faust on January 03, 2012, 11:31:01 PM

Teargas.
Clubs.
More teargas.
More clubs.
People being hauled around by their ankles.
Another round of clubbing, just because.
Jail time.  Lots and lots of jail time.
Lawsuits from the landlord.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Faust

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 03, 2012, 11:35:59 PM

Teargas.
Clubs.
More teargas.
More clubs.

So is this a first for one of the Occupy groups? To actually seize something tangible.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Faust on January 03, 2012, 11:51:38 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 03, 2012, 11:35:59 PM

Teargas.
Clubs.
More teargas.
More clubs.

So is this a first for one of the Occupy groups? To actually seize something tangible.

Well, the Oakland and Portland groups tried to sieze the waterfronts of their cities.

"Tried" being the operative and painful word.  Occupying the park = quaint.  Getting in the way of the money = not amusing anymore, stepped on like a bug.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Faust

I'll be watching closely to see what happens here, the police are slow to to react to a plea for help from a property developer because the crash has seen them

• Working fourty hours a week for 35 hours pay
  • Be unable to take on a single new person because of the hiring freeze
  • Take a 15% pay cut as they are part of the public service
I heard that when the central bank in Dublin requested the Occupy protesters be moved on they got a very curt response that "An Garda Síochána is currently operating at full usage of its members and they regret that pressing other issues make it impossible to assist at this time".

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Faust on January 04, 2012, 12:11:02 AM
I'll be watching closely to see what happens here, the police are slow to to react to a plea for help from a property developer because the crash has seen them

• Working fourty hours a week for 35 hours pay
  • Be unable to take on a single new person because of the hiring freeze
  • Take a 15% pay cut as they are part of the public service
I heard that when the central bank in Dublin requested the Occupy protesters be moved on they got a very curt response that "An Garda Síochána is currently operating at full usage of its members and they regret that pressing other issues make it impossible to assist at this time".

:lol:

That'll teach them to short their lackeys.

:lol:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Occupy London have actually taken over an abandoned building owned by UBS, not far from here, which is being turned into a luxury hotel (and that gets into all kinds of gentrification arguments about Shoreditch, which just shows Occupy London is mostly hipsters).

The developers are looking to use legal means to throw them out, and will likely succeed, assuming the EDL don't send in a mob to burn down the building first.

Chairman Risus

QuoteThe Occupy group says it plans to open the building to the public later this month offering a range of amenities including free financial and legal advice.
This is becoming the strangest protest ever. I have to wonder where something like this is headed.

I also wonder how knew about the loan problem and how it would gum everything up and took advantage of a situation, or if was it that they just got lucky.
QuoteThe protest group says the building has been gifted to the people of Cork.
This makes me think the story's something closer to the former.

Faust

Quote from: Risus on January 04, 2012, 09:38:43 AM

QuoteThe protest group says the building has been gifted to the people of Cork.
This makes me think the story's something closer to the former.
There is definitely something odd about it, now it's not very hard to find out which developer owns which building or if that developer is being named and shamed by NAMA, but the way they are making it out is that they have been given permission to be there.

I love how they are looking at using it as a community centre as opposed to a squat like the London Hipsters, they announced this morning they are going to be hosting some suicide awareness talks as well.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

It would shed some light on the cruel system that criminalizes poor people while fat landowners/bankers fart around waiting for the economy to improve before making their property useful.

And, it is happening here. But, rather than happening in an anarcho-communist charged way ("claiming property") as you've titled the thread, they're taking back what they were defrauded out of. It's a wiser tactic here, considering the powerful currents of privatization and private property rights that retard Americans ability to do the decent thing.

I'm sure if an opportunity presents itself, as it did in Cork, US Occupiers would jump on it. The word on the street is that Occupy Our Homes is a warm-up skirmish for the spring, much like the West Coast Port Shutdown also served as a test run for future actions.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Faust

So the occupy movement in cork has set up the financial aid center, the legal advice center, a suicide awareness group, and a creche (run by out of work childminders).

However this is probably not going to go as well:
Protesters occupy former bank in Belfast