News:

PD.com: "the lot of you are some of the most vicious, name calling, vile examples of humanity I've had the misfortune of attempting to communicate with.  Even attempting to mimic the general mood of the place toward people who think differently leaves a slimy feel on my skin.  Reptilian, even."

Main Menu

What Makes You Not a Discordian?

Started by Cramulus, January 04, 2012, 09:28:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

First thing that pops into my head:

"Everyone is Discord.  Few are Discordians."

AFK

I think everyone has that potential.  Many are shut-off from it and need some kind of "jail-breaking" process to become aware of it.  Even if they never give it that label of "Discordianism". 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on January 05, 2012, 04:30:56 PM

Pretty sure that was the second thing.  The first one had to do with Lady Gaga, Ru Paul, and a mechanical agitator.

I know you, sir.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 05, 2012, 05:30:41 PM

Pretty sure that was the second thing.  The first one had to do with Lady Gaga, Ru Paul, and a mechanical agitator.

I know you, sir.

"Lady Gaga, Ru Paul, and a mechanical agitator"... isn't that simply another definition of Discordian?  :lulz:
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

LMNO

I know you, sir.

You forgot the porcelin garden gnome, and the XXL Snuggie.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on January 05, 2012, 06:34:32 PM

I know you, sir.

That's because I am a clean-living Holy Man™, and there are some perversions I simply will not acknowledge.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I know you, sir.

"Failure Pants come in one size: Error."
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on January 05, 2012, 06:41:22 PM

I know you, sir.

:spit:

WHAT

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 05, 2012, 06:44:19 PM
Quote from: Nigel on January 05, 2012, 06:41:22 PM

I know you, sir.

:spit:

WHAT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBL0RUJx7-I
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Chairman Risus

Completely lacking a sense of humor, I think, qualifies you for non-Discordian membership.

Telarus

Quote from: Risus on January 05, 2012, 10:11:22 PM
Completely lacking a sense of humor, I think, qualifies you for non-Discordian membership.

No, see that's what makes US the best One True Religion. We've got a place for _anybody_. Your criteria puts people in one of the Five Orders of Discordia ("THEM"): http://www.principiadiscordia.com/book/53.php
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Placid Dingo

I know the Buddhists have some absolutes that refer to the human condition and I made a joke about it on Facebook (can't remember what they were). My comment ended with ... You may be a Buddhist.

A Buddhist friend pulled me up on it and pointed out that I wasnt talking about Buddhists but the condition of all humankind. So when we talk about our understanding of the human condition, the same applies- everyone is a pope, but that's our way of expressing the human condition (autonomy). But if someone rejects that truth and follows another authority, I think it's fair to say there're not a discordian.

But you know every religion does this; you can't be gay/slutty/whatever and still a Christian- but of course, you can. And I think any of our sentences that start with 'you can't be...' are equally doomed.

However, depending on your personal dis orris there's various degrees of doin' it wrong.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Cramulus on January 04, 2012, 09:28:43 PM

I tried bleach, alcohol, drugs, screaming, sandpaper, acid scrubs, heat guns ... IT WON'T COME OFF!!!

If anyone figures this out, I'll be over there in the corner, rocking gently back and forth.

But seriously,
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on January 05, 2012, 01:24:27 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 05, 2012, 01:37:14 AM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on January 05, 2012, 01:30:07 AMWhen the Monkey takes over.
This bears thought.  90%+ people are on monkey-pilot 90%+ of the time, and we consider them Discordians.It makes you a primate, rather than a human, but does it keep you from being a Discordian?

Hmm.  It may be that I'm just an elitist bastard.  Sure, sure, "Everyone is a Discordian", and all that.  I guess I just feel that a Discordian(LMNO) is someone who knows about the monkey, and tries to be a biped.

I don't know. If the monkey takes over, do you stop being a Discordian? Sooner or later you'll realize and the biped gets back behind the steering wheel, and you're still a Discordian.

I would personally say, when the monkey takes over, indefinitely.

Of course that makes it kind of inexact, cause you never know when someone will stay some way forever, and even if you go for a couple of years being a complete and utter shitslinging monkey, then for some reason pop back to bipedalism, I'd agree they stopped being a Discordian for some years.

I'm okay with this inexactness, it's not super-important to have a strict definition for this.

It's just that, even if you're trying your utmost best to be a biped, nobody can manage that all the time. In fact, it can happen quite often, and I don't believe such a person would be a "traffic light Discordian", switching on and off every so often.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

BadBeast

Quote from: Triple Zero on January 06, 2012, 08:33:05 PM
Quote from: Cramulus on January 04, 2012, 09:28:43 PM

I tried bleach, alcohol, drugs, screaming, sandpaper, acid scrubs, heat guns ... IT WON'T COME OFF!!!

If anyone figures this out, I'll be over there in the corner, rocking gently back and forth.

But seriously,
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on January 05, 2012, 01:24:27 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 05, 2012, 01:37:14 AM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on January 05, 2012, 01:30:07 AMWhen the Monkey takes over.
This bears thought.  90%+ people are on monkey-pilot 90%+ of the time, and we consider them Discordians.It makes you a primate, rather than a human, but does it keep you from being a Discordian?

Hmm.  It may be that I'm just an elitist bastard.  Sure, sure, "Everyone is a Discordian", and all that.  I guess I just feel that a Discordian(LMNO) is someone who knows about the monkey, and tries to be a biped.

I don't know. If the monkey takes over, do you stop being a Discordian? Sooner or later you'll realize and the biped gets back behind the steering wheel, and you're still a Discordian.

I would personally say, when the monkey takes over, indefinitely.

The Monkey will always take any opportunity to jump in the driving seat. We shouldn't expect any less. That doesn't stop you from being a Discordian. The Monkey, despite everything, wants to "Be like you, ooh ooh". And that's as it should be.

But if the biped defers to the Monkey, gives him the car keys, and then expects to be driven from A-B like it was a fucking Taxi service? Well, that might be outlandishly unconventional, especially for other Monkeys, in a kind of "King Louie" way, but there ain't no room in my Discordia for that kind of stupidity.

Mowgli didn't abandon the Seonee pack to go and live among the Bandar Log, he was dragged off. And he never gave it the old "We be of one blood, you and me" call to the Monkeys who captured him, but to Chil, the Kite. "Mans Red Flower" is not something you can just "give" to Monkeys. It's the same with golden apples. A Monkey would just eat that apple, in order to make some new shit to fling at the other Monkeys.

And that isn't Discordian at all. A Man may lapse into Monkey mode from time, but only a Monkey would want to stay like that.
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4