News:

I hope she gets diverticulitis and all her poop kills her.

Main Menu

What Makes You Not a Discordian?

Started by Cramulus, January 04, 2012, 09:28:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

I'm curious to hear people's opinions on this.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cramulus on January 04, 2012, 09:28:43 PM

I'm curious to hear people's opinions on this.

Being dead.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Faust

Sleepless nights at the chateau

MMMW

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: MMMW on January 05, 2012, 12:04:47 AM
Conclusions.

Then nobody in the fucking world is a Discordian, and if there were, they all died trying to decide what to have for dinner.

(See what I did there?)

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Kai

When I take things too seriously, then I'm not a Discordian.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: ZL 'Kai' Burington, M.S. on January 05, 2012, 12:12:20 AM
When I take things too seriously, then I'm not a Discordian.

For me, I'm either FULL BORE SERIOUS or not serious at all...And I think I'm Discordian in both states.

When I feel that I should be serious because it's expected of me, THAT is when I am in a state of horrible, mortal sin.

LMNO

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on January 05, 2012, 01:30:07 AM
When the Monkey takes over.

This bears thought.  90%+ people are on monkey-pilot 90%+ of the time, and we consider them Discordians.

It makes you a primate, rather than a human, but does it keep you from being a Discordian?

AFK

When I'm an Accord-ian. 

I dunno if I ever think that I'm not Discordian.  I think fallibility is a perfectly acceptible quality of a Discordian, I suppose you would stop being Discordian if you didn't figure out that you were wrong and think about how to fix it or to change directions, paths, etc.,
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

EK WAFFLR

Whenever I feel like being serious is antithetical to Discordianism.
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

MMMW

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 05, 2012, 12:11:32 AM
Quote from: MMMW on January 05, 2012, 12:04:47 AM
Conclusions.

Then nobody in the fucking world is a Discordian, and if there were, they all died trying to decide what to have for dinner.

(See what I did there?)

I stand corrected. Wait, maybe we are dead. :aaa:

LMNO

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 05, 2012, 01:37:14 AM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on January 05, 2012, 01:30:07 AM
When the Monkey takes over.

This bears thought.  90%+ people are on monkey-pilot 90%+ of the time, and we consider them Discordians.

It makes you a primate, rather than a human, but does it keep you from being a Discordian?

Hmm.  It may be that I'm just an elitist bastard.  Sure, sure, "Everyone is a Discordian", and all that.  I guess I just feel that a Discordian(LMNO) is someone who knows about the monkey, and tries to be a biped.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

I think that everyone is 'Discordian' all of the time, because everyone is building their own subjective reality 'ordering things and disordering things'... wobbling their own sacred chao... all of the time. Some Discordians poke through the monkey mind and begin consciously manipulating the ordering/disordering. However, I think that the 'we're all Discordians' tends to be more about all humans being agents of 'Eris'... agents of 'chaos'... simply by virtue of their existence.

Sometimes, I've found myself thinking about 'us vs them'... Discordians vs the Cabbages. Yet, I have never really gotten to know someone without learning that they have their own complete set of Weird. Maybe they aren't sitting on a forum writing philosophical rants, or entries for Intermittens, maybe they aren't consciously thinking about their Black Iron Prison... but they are often holding contrary opinions, doing creative things that inspire them and sometimes pulling of mindfucks for fun, even though they don't call them mindfucks.

For self-reflective 'Discordian philosophers', though, there are a lot of 'anti-discordian' behaviors that could be discussed. Stagnation, for example, stagnation in life, in hobbies, in opinions, in ideas; a complete lack of creative order/disorder or even destructive order/disorder seems antithetical to a lot of 'Discordian philosophy'. Believing that person A's Discordia is False while one's own Discordia is true also seems like a anti-discordian concept. Interestingly, it seems to stretch back almost as far as modern Discordianism.

However, just because those behaviors aren't necessarily in-line with popular Discordian philosophy, it doesn't mean the person isn't a Discordian (any more so than a Catholic isn't a Catholic while they're having sex with the neighbor). All of us have a monkey mind and us vs them seems almost hardwired... but accepting that is also part of Discordianism.

IMO.

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

The Good Reverend Roger

I think the idea that "everyone is a Discordian" needs to be examined a bit more.