News:

If it quacks like a sociopath, but also ponders its own sociopathy, it's probably just an asshole.

Main Menu

What Makes You Not a Discordian?

Started by Cramulus, January 04, 2012, 09:28:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slurrealist

If you think you are a Discordian, then probably you are not a Discordian.
"You're free, and freedom is beautiful. It will take time to restore chaos...but we will..."

Q. G. Pennyworth

I would argue that you can be a Discordian inasmuch as someone can be a Christian, but you cannot be a Discordian in the same way that you could be Catholic. A Discordian1 would be a person who believes in some or all of the Discordian belief set and lives by it to some extent, whereas a Discordian2 would be a member of a practicing body with structure and whatnot. Any group of Discordians1 could attempt to create an organization of Discordians2, but by its nature it would not be something that included all Discordians1 and therefore could not be a definitive answer to who is and who is not Discordian, and so they'd end up being something else altogether: Discordianchurch of the hyperbolic metaphor or something.

Telarus

The POEE was structured as the all encompassing disorganization.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Golden Applesauce

Instead of coming up with a thoughtful reply to this thread, I'm going to spend an hour watching TV.  Then I'm going to go to bed, because I wouldn't want to be late for work tomorrow.

Is not discordian  :sad:
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Queen_Gogira on January 18, 2012, 03:56:35 PM
I would argue that you can be a Discordian inasmuch as someone can be a Christian, but you cannot be a Discordian in the same way that you could be Catholic.

You never met Prince Tao Jones.   :lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Slurrealist on January 08, 2012, 08:49:26 PM

Aren't we just the cutest little elitist?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

BadBeast

Quote from: Slurrealist on January 08, 2012, 08:49:26 PM
I think you're mistaking us for that other lot of Discordians, the real ones. We're not the real Discordians.
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

I think that everyone is a Discordian in some sense (via POEE if nothing else). However, every cabal may have a completely different concept of what being a Discordian is for them. Some cabals are full of clowns, some are full of philosophers, some are full of scientists... all of them are full of Shit.

Maybe thats it... you're not a Discordian (for some definitions of the word), if you don't realize that you're full of shit.

Hail Eris!  :lulz:
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Bebek Sincap Ratatosk on January 20, 2012, 11:26:38 AM
I think that everyone is a Discordian in some sense (via POEE if nothing else). However, every cabal may have a completely different concept of what being a Discordian is for them. Some cabals are full of clowns, some are full of philosophers, some are full of scientists... all of them are full of Shit.

Maybe thats it... you're not a Discordian (for some definitions of the word), if you don't realize that you're full of shit.

Hail Eris!  :lulz:
I like this one.

Iron Sulfide

The following is a list the top 5 things that make me "less" "discordian":

I miss the punchline, frequently.

I'm awesome at being sarcastic, but have difficulty picking it up in someone else.

In the deepest recesses of my heart, I do believe there is a "point" to it all (not the same, mind you, as "everything happens for a reason")

I call myself a discordian, sometimes.

I, due to habituation, have an easier time doing my mindless, boring job than I do pursuing things I actually enjoy.

Ya' stupid Yank.

Vanadium Gryllz

I don't make enough controversial statements.
"I was fine until my skin came off.  I'm never going to South Attelboro again."

BadBeast

Listening to Discordians explaining how to be Discordian makes me not Discordian. In order to be Discordian, you must Discard what Discordians say, and become a Discardian instead. And being a Guardian of Dis?  Dat is good groundwork for Discordians.
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

What makes you not a Discordian?

• When you take things too seriously
  • When you try to convince yourself you don't really care about what you really do
  • When you allow a rigid self-concept to interfere with spontaneously being yourself
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

minuspace

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Net on January 23, 2012, 01:10:28 PM
What makes you not a Discordian?

• When you take things too seriously
  • When you try to convince yourself you don't really care about what you really do
  • When you allow a rigid self-concept to interfere with spontaneously being yourself

Or maybe "When you act like someone else to please other people".
Molon Lube