News:

That's okay, I know how to turn my washing machine into a centrifuge if need be.

Main Menu

Coming up with pamphlets and shit.

Started by Nephew Twiddleton, January 05, 2012, 03:29:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

EK WAFFLR

"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Telarus

Purely from an artistic standpoint, some of the pages are too "noisy", i.e. the eye has trouble distinguishing the foreground elements from the background elements. You can make the background images 50% transparent over another white layer to "ghost" them... or similar things to address that.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Nephew Twiddleton

Cool- I'll probably have to think of a size where the print is still large enough to be legible as well as how to put the thing together.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Telarus on January 05, 2012, 06:51:22 AM
Purely from an artistic standpoint, some of the pages are too "noisy", i.e. the eye has trouble distinguishing the foreground elements from the background elements. You can make the background images 50% transparent over another white layer to "ghost" them... or similar things to address that.

Good point. I'll have to play around with power point a little bit.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Triple Zero

Quote from: Areola Shinerbock on January 05, 2012, 06:53:18 AM
Quote from: Telarus on January 05, 2012, 06:51:22 AM

Good point. I'll have to play around with power point a little bit.

I was gonna say the exact same thing, see if you can put the alpha/transparency/opacity/whatever setting of that layer to 50% or even less (in print you often need less).
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Nephew Twiddleton

Took me a while to figure it out but here it is. Also added a page to give it an even number.

Better?

Don Coyote

Fucking shitbawls dude. The last page is  :lulz:

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Pope Pastor Wolf-Something-Or-Other on January 06, 2012, 03:40:10 AM
Fucking shitbawls dude. The last page is  :lulz:

I searched for funny picture of benedict and then it still looked a little blank, and I watched the space hippies episode of Trek last night, so I figured I would throw Adam in there too.

Nephew Twiddleton

This one is a rough draft of a rough idea. I'm probably going to play with it more before I finally print it out.

Cramulus

FEEDBACK LOOP ENGAGED!!

Is this meant to be the cover? Or the first page? If it's a cover, it needs less text.

My reaction: if I saw this lying around on a park bench or something, I'd pick it up and read it because I love obviously batshit things about 2012. The Bible question communicates that this is a religious pamphlet, and that makes me hold it at arm's length a bit.

"For you see, everything has to do with the number five!"

This reads like a punchline, but it's actually the set-up. I'd ditch the "For you see," and the exclamation point, and add some vague explanation (that you don't really have to explain). Maybe invoke synchronicity, fractals, or numerology.

"I bet you thought everything had to do with 23"

-if I'm a random person reading the pamphlet, you lost me right there.

I'd insert a line about why the Discordian calendar is important, make it sound like you're talking about Nostradamus or something.

example - "The Discordian Calendar is based on Pre-Christian gnostic numerology hidden deep within our Gregorian calendar. It has successfully predicted several catastrophic world events."

Delete the comma between "government knows" and "too". Maybe change it to something like "The government has suppressed the Discordian calendar with a campaign of misinformation designed to make Discordians look like unbalanced whackjobs."

Also, I think that on a shitty printer, the black noise in the background will make it hard to read the text.

love this, great idea including something like this

"an era of freedom, mirth, and hilarity."

The word hilarity is begging to be replaced with a punch line, or something unexpected.

Eris is bringing us freedom, mirth, and ...?

-A cosmic "Going Out of Business" sale
-Unlimited text messages
-the totalitarian rule of our ancient alien overlords
-screaming hysterical nothingness
-Discount Liquor

I think the ?!?!?! at the end is too much unless there's an exasperated image to carry that sense of surprise.

maybe this guy?

these are all awesome

my one criticism would be to soften the hook a bit

people's defense mechanisms click in when they sense that they're being pitched at, and the last two pages are an obvious pitch.

I've always like the soft hook - you're a discordian already, don't you want to find out what that is?

Discordians don't worship Eris, they don't do her will, most of them don't even believe in her. Whether she's real or not, she's clearly running the show.

Those are my opinions - hope that was helpful / useful! Feel free to ignore them if not. :)

Nephew Twiddleton

Those are good critiques, Cram-

I'll go through and edit again later. In noticed there were a couple of typos anyway, and I'll see if anything pops into my head while I'm at it.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Areola Shinerbock on January 06, 2012, 02:58:29 PM
This one is a rough draft of a rough idea. I'm probably going to play with it more before I finally print it out.

I like this idea. It reminds me of an idea for a trifold pamphlet I was thinking about, inspired by a little informational kiosk at the hot springs that said "WHY HOT SPRINGS? WHY HERE?"

On the front it would say

WHY HERE?

WHY NOW?

WHY US?

WHY ILLUMINATI?

And then inside it would proceed to have a bunch of bullet points talking about all the good things the Illuminati are behind, and how we should all reconsider our negative preconceptions about  them.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."