News:

"At the teaparties they only dunked bags into cups of water...because they didn't want to break the law. And that just about sums up America's revolutionary spirit."

Main Menu

And this is why peer review is a joke.

Started by Kai, January 05, 2012, 07:18:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

Quote from: LuciferX on February 18, 2012, 11:19:17 PM
Quote from: LuciferX on February 15, 2012, 02:59:44 AM
Apart from what already has been said - the one benefit I can think of is that it may challenge people's though about the mechanism involved in the development of HIV so that new angles and vectors are investigated for prevention and cure.  I guess the one thing I gained was thinking about the possibility of a vaccine as a result of not exclusively linking HIV to aids, however, that's just misinformation covering misinformation...

Or, an analysis of experimental systems over here from Stanford
http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php/topic,31712.0.html

It won't challenge people's thoughts though. What it has done is enable peoples already held arguments. If you believed that AIDS is a result of HIV infection, the mere presence of an AIDS-denialist paper will tend to cause that belief to be held even more strongly, and if you believe that there is no connection, then the paper will enhance your belief there is no connection. This is regardless of the refutation; THAT will actually cause the above beliefs to strengthen, especially the AIDS denial belief. Changing one's mind rather than just gliding on cognitive bias takes great awareness and effort.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Kai

Further happenings related to this paper: One of the authors of the Duesberg paper is under academic investigation for teaching AIDS denialist doctrine to students. http://www.nature.com/news/inquiry-launched-over-aids-contrarian-s-teaching-1.10250
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

hirley0