News:

That line from the father's song in Mary Poppins, where he's going on about how nothing can go wrong, in Britain in 1910.  That's about the point I realized the boy was gonna die in a trench.

Main Menu

A deep sea vent ecosystem of the Antarctic Basin.

Started by Kai, January 06, 2012, 07:30:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

And the best part is, the paper is open access so we can ALL read it.

The most interesting thing about this find is how different these vent ecosystems are from the ones in the Atlantic and Pacific oceans. For one, there are no tube worms, and all the rest of the species are different as well. I'm very curious about these octopuses.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Don Coyote

Quotedominated by a new species of yeti crab

Best part so far.

Also, thanks for sharing. Deep sea vents are really cool.

East Coast Hustle

I was reading about this yesterday. Awesome stuff. There were some really cool and unique anemones in the ecosystem as well.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Kai

I was just thinking about how seldom it is that a new kind of ecosystem is discovered these days. The last one I think was that deep earth mine shaft that had the huge nematodes and radiation  feeding bacteria, and that was about half a year ago.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Cain

I was reading about this the other day too.  That new species of crab they found?  They're calling it The Hoff, because it has an apparently hairy chest.