News:

You have [3] new messages in your inbox

Main Menu

networked tribal enterprise

Started by Dildo Argentino, January 06, 2012, 08:44:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dildo Argentino

i cannot actually see your link

the three years of maternity leave are true, though not on full pay, i think 80% in the first year and then a set, low multiple of the minimum wage for two years

actually, in a state that can afford it, i'm all in favour of it as an option, though i think it should be publicly financed
Not too keen on rigor, myself - reminds me of mortis

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Triple Zero on January 08, 2012, 06:15:19 PM
Quote from: holist on January 06, 2012, 09:19:11 PM
Quote from: Areola Shinerbock on January 06, 2012, 09:01:05 PM
Also is it the economy the political climate some other reason or a combination thats prompting the move?

hungary has a world record complexity to size ratio among nations

Yesterday I came across an article that's somewhat related to this, I meant to ask your opinion about it (as I just saw we had a new member from Hungary). So here it is. For context, I got the link from HackerNews which is not so much about hacking as a link aggregator (like Reddit) for tech startups and entrepeneurs. Please not to focus immediately in the "I won't hire a woman" example he starts out with, cause he's building to a point (IMO he should have started with the other examples and leave the maternity leave for last).

Three years of maternity leave, is that for real?? I haven't checked what the Dutch law tells about it, maybe it's entirely reasonable, but it does sound like a very bad climate for legitimate startups.

WHERE IS YOUR LINK

YOU CLICK-TEASE!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

By the way, maternity leave in the US is six weeks. Seriously. Six. Fucking. Weeks.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Dildo Argentino

mark my words because i say this very rarely

Quote from: Nigel on January 08, 2012, 06:30:38 PM
By the way, maternity leave in the US is six weeks. Seriously. Six. Fucking. Weeks.

i think there is a moral problem with that one

that's messing with kids, ultimately, is why
Not too keen on rigor, myself - reminds me of mortis

Triple Zero

Right, I should remember to press ctrl-V, sorry :oops:

Yesterday I came across an article that's somewhat related to this, I meant to ask your opinion about it (as I just saw we had a new member from Hungary). So here it is. For context, I got the link from HackerNews which is not so much about hacking as a link aggregator (like Reddit) for tech startups and entrepeneurs. Please not to focus immediately in the "I won't hire a woman" example he starts out with, cause he's building to a point (IMO he should have started with the other examples and leave the maternity leave for last).

http://andorjakab.blog.hu/2012/01/06/this_is_why_i_don_t_give_you_a_job

From the article I get the idea it's not publicly financed. Six weeks is way too short, though. In the Netherlands you get 16 weeks full paid maternity leave and 2 days paternity leave, and 26 weeks unpaid parental leave (dunno if that's cumulative or total).
The article is kind of misrepresenting the case for Hungary though, you "only" get 24 weeks paid, but 3 years unpaid, plus some sort of bonus paid leave at the end which I don't understand maybe you can figure it out from this table:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maternity_leave#Europe

AAAAAaaaanyway, the article talks about more than just maternity leave.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: holist on January 08, 2012, 07:01:55 PM

Don't talk to AMERICA about morals

They might just send tanks in to show you.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Trip your link shows the problems with the system, which are monetary not sexist. The system itself is loaded against women. If the system offered the father the same leave, he could bring the baby to the mother's work to nurse.

I had an employee who became pregnant and had a baby and maternity leave under our system. Literally, the only way our system was able to work was because I allowed  my employee to bring her baby to work. In the US, the system is heavily loaded against mothers, but also loaded against the existence of two-earner households. It's insane.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on January 09, 2012, 01:09:07 AM

We have to.  It's our duty as the world's cop.  We can't let communists determine how children will be raised.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Nigel on January 09, 2012, 01:16:13 AMTrip your link shows the problems with the system, which are monetary not sexist.

Yes, I was just covering myself because while that is ultimately the point of the article, the way he started off about women made me go all WTF until I read on :)

You're right about the other stuff too btw.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 09, 2012, 02:01:30 AM
Quote from: Nigel on January 09, 2012, 01:09:07 AM

We have to.  It's our duty as the world's cop.  We can't let communists determine how children will be raised.

EXACTLY.