News:

My opinion > Your opinion

Main Menu

Antero Ali on Chapel Perilous

Started by Telarus, January 07, 2012, 05:15:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telarus

I found this piece pretty illuminating, considering how we were trying to come up with a good verbal description of "Chapel Perilous" last month. I actually like the view here better than anything we sketched out (tho it does resonate with some of the things we said).

A shout out to those residing in or visiting Chapel Perilous
by Antero Alli on Friday, January 6, 2012

"Chapel Perilous, like the mysterious entity called "I", cannot be located in the time-space continuum: it is weightless, odorless, tasteless, and undetectable by ordinary instruments. Indeed like the Ego, once you're inside it there doesn't seem to be any way to ever get out, again, until you suddenly discover that it has been brought into existence by thought and does not exist outside of thought."
-- Robert Anton Wilson

We know who we are. We are the dispossessed, the outcasts, and the outsiders, rebels with a cause who have upturned the mulch of our dead lives and seeded those fertile fields with incendiary visions of our future selves. Having already subverted the norm, we renunciate dominator culture's status quo of everything and drift happy disconnected -- babes in the abyss -- wavering in the ambiguity fog of dislocation.  Free-floating between old worlds and the new, guided only by the shining paths of mother evolution.  We have passed over, we have passed the point of no-return and since there is no turning back, we celebrate the momentum lifting us on the wings of perception, grace, and whatever skills we have earned from surviving the inevitable catastrophe of self.  Only when we are over, does our real life begin.

Throughout my adult life, almost everyone I've met or have gotten to know has frequented, or currently resides in Chapel Perilous.  All of them fall into any one or all of the following four categories of Chapel residency (in order from the greatest percentage to the smallest):

LIFERS (THE FLOCK);  who remain in Chapel Perilous completely unaware of their displacement
CLERGY; who are aware of being there but choose to remain and serve the flock
HERETICS; who have awakened and managed to escape as either agnostic or paranoid
TOURISTS; who have awakened, escaped with soul intact and who return for reasons of their own

Though I have known all four personally, I now count myself chiefly as a Tourist.  I periodically return there whenever the Muses decide I need a good shaking up.  I can never predict when that will be but it usually happens when the Muses are ready to use me.  I am a love slave to the Muses and consider myself lucky to be a Chapel Tourist.  I have known Lifers, Clergy, and Heretics who have not been so fortunate.  Some of what I've seen and heard would make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up and shout.  There's a reason why it's called Chapel Perilous and not Chapel Happy.  If there was one word that might save you some grief as a Lifer, Priest, Heretic, or Tourist, that word would be:  nonchalance.  Learn to treat the archetypes and their realms with the same indifference with which they treat you.  Don't take "them" personally; Chapel Perilous is not personal.  Chapel Perilous is a great place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there.

-A. Alli
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

The Good Reverend Roger

I STILL don't get it.  I've had LMNO and lots of other people try to explain this shit to me, but it makes no sense at all (at least to me).

Not trying to be a smartass, here.  I honestly don't get it.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I don't get Chapel Perilous either. I feel like maybe I'm supposed to, but I don't.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I really like that grotto, though, it's totally cool.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on January 07, 2012, 06:39:23 AM
I don't get Chapel Perilous either. I feel like maybe I'm supposed to, but I don't.

I gather - but I'm not sure - that it's similar to the 1960s "finding yourself" thing.  Or else it's people freaking out because they realized they aren't made out of plastic or something.  Or navel-gazing.  Dunno.

Freeky

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 07, 2012, 06:41:25 AM

I gather - but I'm not sure - that it's similar to the 1960s "finding yourself" thing.  Or else it's people freaking out because they realized they aren't made out of plastic or something.  Or navel-gazing.  Dunno.

Navel gazing? 

I don't get Chapel Perilous either, I think.  It doesn't click with me.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I've never gotten the "finding yourself" thing. I'M RIGHT HERE.

I might be a mess, but at least I know exactly where I am.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on January 07, 2012, 06:46:10 AM

SEE THAT PILE OF BROKEN STUFF?  THAT'S ME!  :lol:

Nigel and Freeky, I am glad to hear that I'm not the only one who has no fucking idea what this is all about.  I'm beginning to suspect that nobody does, that it's a piece of jargon that everyone PRETENDS to understand, because they're embarrassed that they don't, and they think everyone else does.

Freeky

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 07, 2012, 06:49:38 AM

Nigel and Freeky, I am glad to hear that I'm not the only one who has no fucking idea what this is all about.  I'm beginning to suspect that nobody does, that it's a piece of jargon that everyone PRETENDS to understand, because they're embarrassed that they don't, and they think everyone else does.

That is totally why I never reply to Chapel Perilous threads.  For real.  :oops:  :lol:

I think it's just a different kind of metaphor, though, and in the same vein as mindhacking (or at least that's how it looks, because we got a bunch of people here who are into both.)

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Freeky of SCIENCE! on January 07, 2012, 06:54:08 AM

I think it's just a different kind of metaphor, though, and in the same vein as mindhacking (or at least that's how it looks, because we got a bunch of people here who are into both.)

Well, if that's what it is, I wish someone would say so, so I could move on to something else.  I keep seeing this shit, so I read RAW's stuff again, and it still didn't make any sense.  If it turns out to be some nonsense like sigils or something, I can walk away without feeling I've missed something.

Telarus

Naw Rog. You totally get it. It's the world where words are more real than barstools, and can frighten monkeys into believing and doing stopid shit.

"...it is weightless, odorless, tasteless, and undetectable by ordinary instruments. ...it has been brought into existence by thought and does not exist outside of thought."

It's the world your assistant lives in, the reality tunnel built from manipulated misinformation, the world where what "What Gingrich/Santorum/Perry/Obama says makes sense, so let's let them handle it," the world where (if we chant it loudly enough) Anarchism, Libertarianism, or any other -ism will totally save all our problems so get on the wagon before we run you over, comrade....

That's it really. I think you haven't been there in a long, long time...
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Telarus on January 07, 2012, 07:00:16 AM
Naw Rog. You totally get it. It's the world where words are more real than barstools, and can frighten monkeys into believing and doing stopid shit.

"...it is weightless, odorless, tasteless, and undetectable by ordinary instruments. ...it has been brought into existence by thought and does not exist outside of thought."

It's the world your assistant lives in, the reality tunnel built from manipulated misinformation, the world where what "What Gingrich/Santorum/Perry/Obama says makes sense, so let's let them handle it," the world where (if we chant it loudly enough) Anarchism, Libertarianism, or any other -ism will totally save all our problems so get on the wagon before we run you over, comrade....

Oh, the world of DUMBASS.  I go there all the time, just in a different way than the Obamabush fans.  I don't buy much EXTERNAL hype - I do believe lots of incorrect things, but I don't believe IN them - but I can fool myself as well as the next guy.  I can pull the wool over my own eyes and relax in the safety of my own delusions like HELL.

I have a paranoid streak a mile fucking wide...And while that's safer (usually) than being a gullible Party Line Man, it is still bad signal.  At least distorted signal.  It's still not how things ACTUALLY are...On a personal level, anyway.  On a political/cultural level, it isn't POSSIBLE to be paranoid (It ain't paranoia if they're really out to get you, right?).  But anyway, like I say, fooling yourself isn't much better than being fooled by others.

In fact, it can be worse, because you're much less likely to question your own motives.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 07, 2012, 06:49:38 AM

I've been wondering about that for a while. Everyone smiles and nods and agrees, and I am just peering from face to face, trying to figure out if they mean it.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Telarus on January 07, 2012, 07:00:16 AM

Oh, so the Chapel Perilous is the Machine? And the Spiders?