News:

Not just a bunch of "Trotskyist, car-hating, Hugo Chavez idolising, newt-fancying hypocrites and bendy bus fetishists."

Main Menu

Saying Stupid Shit

Started by Golden Applesauce, January 08, 2012, 08:16:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Golden Applesauce

Have you ever had a moment where you think you're doing pretty good, and then a guest goes to use your bathroom and comes back out screaming about all the mold on your shower curtain?  And your response is "Dude, it's explicit purpose is to block water.  It's going to get wet.  Therefore it's going to get moldy.  That's just how they work." and they say "Yes, but you're supposed to clean them."

And you go: "You can clean shower curtains?"
"Yes."
"What, you just put them in the washer?"
"Yep.  Not yours though ... yours probably needs to be burnt at this point."

I think a lot of the human brain is given over to believing stupid shit, which sits there, collecting mold and stinking up the rest of the psyche, until someone else see it at tells you that you can do something about it.  Only people aren't telepathic, so the only way you get to figure out just how messed up it is that you still think <whatever> is if you say it out loud.

Everybody believes stupid shit.
Only some people are crazy enough to bring theirs up in polite conversation.

But, only the crazy people get the benefit of having others help them with their mental building inspection.  Which means that, paradoxically, in a space where people are people are expected only to bring up their good ideas in discussion, people's heads will continue to get smellier and smellier.  And people still post stupid shit, because everyone thinks at least one of there rottenest ideas is amazing and will change the world.

(tonight, I'm planning to try pouring boiling water on my curtain to see of the temperature shock will help.)
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Faust

Quote from: Golden Applesauce on January 08, 2012, 08:16:25 PM
Have you ever had a moment where you think you're doing pretty good, and then a guest goes to use your bathroom and comes back out screaming about all the mold on your shower curtain?  And your response is "Dude, it's explicit purpose is to block water.  It's going to get wet.  Therefore it's going to get moldy.  That's just how they work." and they say "Yes, but you're supposed to clean them."

And you go: "You can clean shower curtains?"
"Yes."
"What, you just put them in the washer?"
"Yep.  Not yours though ... yours probably needs to be burnt at this point."

I think a lot of the human brain is given over to believing stupid shit, which sits there, collecting mold and stinking up the rest of the psyche, until someone else see it at tells you that you can do something about it.  Only people aren't telepathic, so the only way you get to figure out just how messed up it is that you still think <whatever> is if you say it out loud.

Everybody believes stupid shit.
Only some people are crazy enough to bring theirs up in polite conversation.

But, only the crazy people get the benefit of having others help them with their mental building inspection.  Which means that, paradoxically, in a space where people are people are expected only to bring up their good ideas in discussion, people's heads will continue to get smellier and smellier.  And people still post stupid shit, because everyone thinks at least one of there rottenest ideas is amazing and will change the world.

(tonight, I'm planning to try pouring boiling water on my curtain to see of the temperature shock will help.)
Bleach and a scrubbing brush. But to be honest, mould only grows at  >70% humidity. If you leave windows and doors open to the bathroom that should never have been an issue.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Triple Zero

I agree. Saying stupid shit is a great way to learn :) Though if you already suspect it to be stupid, you can often phrase it in a way so it doesn't sound as stupid and you still learn the same thing.

Some would argue, however, WHERE'S THE FUN IN THAT???

Additionally, shower curtains are cheap. Just get a new one. I might do that as well, cause mine's starting to get some black splotches near the bottom edges. I figure that's because you're supposed to dry them as a closed curtain, not crumpled up at one side of the rail. See, I'm stupid too :)

Faust's tip of leaving the door or window open is also good for keeping your ceiling/walls from getting moldy btw.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.