News:

Nothing gets wasted around here

Main Menu

Comic Reviews and discussions

Started by Faust, January 09, 2012, 12:32:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faust

For those of you interested in digital comics Brian K. Vaughan (Y The last man) has a project currently running, a series called the private eye.

A lot of comics that are scanned don't look right on a pc and involve a lot of scrolling, this one is formatted to be read on a PC.

The creators are doing a 'pay what you want' method on this, which is actually why I am posting this. Normally I don't give recommendations for series that haven't finished but this is a project I'm enjoying and wouldn't like to see cancelled because of lack of funds.

http://panelsyndicate.com/
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Left

Dunno if anyone's mentioned Girl Genius, I haven't read it in a while.
My ex turned me on to it.
Hope was the thing with feathers.
I smacked it with a hammer until it was red and squashy

Faust

Quote from: hylierandom, A.D.D. on May 27, 2013, 01:12:40 AM

Haven't read it, its a webcomic yeah?

Don Coyote

Quote from: Faust on May 28, 2013, 12:59:32 PM

Yes.
http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20021104
It's fun in a very pulpy mad science kinda way.

I'm still on the hunt for copies of Transmet. Currently volumes 0, 1, 2, 3 and 7 are in my possession.

McGrupp

Just read the trade of Marvel Civil War along with a couple of tie ins. Came out in 2006 but I felt it is still rather topical.

Basically it boils down to the conflict between Security vs Freedom. Marvel Heroes and Villians are forced to choose sides when a superhuman registration act is forced through congress and all who refuse to unmask and work for the government are hunted down.

This is all in response to a group of irresponsible young heroes who corner a dangerous villain who then detonates a school full of children. Public outcry causes the president and congress to push the legislation through in less than a month without debate.

All in all its a pretty good read and also eerily familar. Also Tony Stark and Reed Richards are collosal jerks. (I'm also minorly dissapointed in Deadpool but to be fair the pro-registration forces did offer him a very nice shiny badge)

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Don Coyote on June 02, 2013, 06:41:22 AM

Yes.

I'm still on the hunt for copies of Transmet. Currently volumes 0, 1, 2, 3 and 7 are in my possession.

Amazon, if the brick & mortar stores don't have it.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Just bought Garth Ennis' The Boys.

WOW.  I thought MY head was full of horrible.  You Scots bastards keep that fucker INSIDE YOUR OWN BORDERS.  YOU made him, YOU deal with him.
Molon Lube

Faust

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 02, 2013, 07:56:56 PM

WOW.  I thought MY head was full of horrible.  You Scots bastards keep that fucker INSIDE YOUR OWN BORDERS.  YOU made him, YOU deal with him.
yeah its fucking grim. The xmen/pedo arc was a bit too much for me but otherwise I loved it.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Faust on August 02, 2013, 10:18:33 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 02, 2013, 07:56:56 PM

yeah its fucking grim. The xmen/pedo arc was a bit too much for me but otherwise I loved it.

I bought the first two books on Monday, to give it a read.

I went back Tuesday, and bought the other 10 books.

Yeah, the depravity was pretty bad, but they got what was coming to them.
Molon Lube

Faust

My favourite single issue in the whole series was frenchies shaggy dog origin story.

I'm currently reading some of Garth Ennis's Section 8 comics. One of them clearly isn't super powered and is just an overwieght mexican rapist, he's called bueno excellente which is all he ever says in the comic.

The only Comic of Ennis that I didn't like was Crossed. It seemed like Gross for gross sake with little Characterisation. At least there is meat to his gross with the Boys and the like.

McGrupp

Quote from: Faust on August 03, 2013, 12:10:29 AM
My favourite single issue in the whole series was frenchies shaggy dog origin story.

I'm currently reading some of Garth Ennis's Section 8 comics. One of them clearly isn't super powered and is just an overwieght mexican rapist, he's called bueno excellente which is all he ever says in the comic.

The only Comic of Ennis that I didn't like was Crossed. It seemed like Gross for gross sake with little Characterisation. At least there is meat to his gross with the Boys and the like.

Did section 8 get their own spinoff? Man, I really gotta catch up on comics. Dog Welder is the most well developed super hero in all of comics.

haven't read Crossed or Boys but might pick up the latter if I can find them. Currently reading his Kev stuff from the authority.

btw, Dok. Warren Ellis's Ocean was awesome. Thanks for the recommendation. Picked up Orbiter and No Hero as well. Good stuff.

Doktor Howl

Won't read Crossed.  Worst thing is, the writers that took over the franchise are even worse with the gratuitous gore.

Yes, The Boys had a story.  It was dark and it was awful, but it was still an outstanding story.  Crossed is just people getting chopped up, and is a further reason that you should keep that maniac Ennis on your side of the pond.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: McGrupp on August 03, 2013, 02:30:07 AM

Did section 8 get their own spinoff? Man, I really gotta catch up on comics. Dog Welder is the most well developed super hero in all of comics.

haven't read Crossed or Boys but might pick up the latter if I can find them. Currently reading his Kev stuff from the authority.

btw, Dok. Warren Ellis's Ocean was awesome. Thanks for the recommendation. Picked up Orbiter and No Hero as well. Good stuff.

Superhero shit is crap.  Hence why I liked The Boys.

Now go get City of Silence, if you can find it.  I finally got Lazarus Churchyard.  Don't bother.
Molon Lube

Don Coyote

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 25, 2013, 05:15:56 PM

Yes.

in to much pain to go check but I think I actually have everything now.  fucking Spider  :argh!:

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Don Coyote on August 03, 2013, 08:44:41 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 25, 2013, 05:15:56 PM

Yes.

in to much pain to go check but I think I actually have everything now.  fucking Spider  :argh!:

What happened?
Molon Lube